The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 25, 2024, 07:32 AM   #1
Rjeezie

6.5 Grendel Buy or Build?

It's been a while since I've been in the forums, but I come here for advice. Here's my question... I'm wanting to get a 6.5 Grendel for hunting. Should I look to buy it or build it? Thoughts?

I'm thinking $1,500-$2,000 is my budget. Can you get a decent grendel in this price range? Is building the way to go here?

I've never built a rifle yet but I really want to. However, I'm also not sure it's the route I should go.

Thanks,
Old May 25, 2024, 07:38 AM   #2
MarkCO

That is really a personal choice that needs to be made considering the following.

1. Factory warranty. For instance, Stag, Daniel Defense have lifetime warranties on complete rifles, but 1 year warranties on parts.

2. Your abilities to build, tune and maybe troubleshoot.

3. Your budget and build desires. For a cheap beater AR15 in 5.56, it's hard to buy the parts to build one cheaper than buying a PSA. With other calibers and enhanced features, you can usually build for 50 to 70 percent of a complete rifle, usually of better quality and you get to choose your parts.
Old May 25, 2024, 07:59 AM   #3
Fla_dogman

I went with a complete rifle from PSA and am well pleased with performance and accuracy. You can always buy the complete rifle, get the warranty then customize it to satisfy your build cravings

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
Old May 25, 2024, 12:14 PM   #4
tangolima

If you already have an AR 15, you only need an upper and a new bolt to shoot Grendel. I would build an upper for that. Less than $400 I will have one good enough for hunting.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 26, 2024, 07:37 AM   #5
Shadow9mm

My vote is buy a factory rifle.
Old May 26, 2024, 07:54 AM   #6
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
If you already have an AR 15, you only need an upper and a new bolt to shoot Grendel. I would build an upper for that. Less than $400 I will have one good enough for hunting.

-TL

And magazines.
Old May 26, 2024, 09:34 AM   #7
ocharry

i kinda like to build things...but to do things and have a good out come you will need specific tools for the job

you didnt say if you wanted a AR style or bolt rifle....tools will vary for each

you will need a good torque wrench..and head space gauges for either...for the AR a action rod, a lapping tool and lapping compound, and a good armorers wrench should get you going...i like Midwest Industries....you will also need aeroshell 33 for the barrel nut..some guys use antisize or just grease..i like the aeroshell...you may also want to use a beding compound...i use Loctite 620.....or you could get a thermal fit upper receiver and skip the beding compound

for a bolt you will need a good action wrench and a barrel vice....maybe some other things

i built a AR grendel and i really like it...it shoots really well..with 4 different bullet weights....2 light weights for varmints and such and 2 heavy weights for deer and such.....i put it together mosty because i already had the tools and a lot because i like doing it.. the build process.....but mostly i wanted more down range hammer for yotes and such...vs what the 223 gave me

but now i find myself wanting a grendel in a bolt action....lol....and i already have those tools too so here we are...lol

looks like you have a pretty good budget....so you could go either way

buy or build??? your choice

good tools will pay back if you use them more than once....but they start paying for the first build...i never question buying tools to make or fix things.... i see them as dividends....and i just like tools....lol... and good ones never let you down
Old May 26, 2024, 10:47 AM   #8
Rjeezie

Thanks everybody.

It was be on the AR platform. I have some of the tools already, but not all. Part of why I wanted to build is to full understand the platform, etc. and to learn more.

But I may buy my first one and then just change/upgrade certain parts.

Sooner or later Iā€™m going to do a completely build, .223 or 300 blackout or 308. Something eventually!
Old May 26, 2024, 11:54 AM   #9
tangolima

Or just buy a complete upper. Even a $300 ish budget upper is quite good enough for hunting. Yes, you need magazines too.

-TL

Old May 26, 2024, 12:19 PM   #10
Rjeezie

Would you guys recommend ā€œ18 or ā€œ20 barrel?
Old May 26, 2024, 02:39 PM   #11
tangolima

18" for hunting. Extra light handguard too.

I have a 24". Clumsy and heavy.

-TL

Old May 27, 2024, 09:21 AM   #12
bobn

i just shot a satern upper. not a tool /wrench mark anywhere. bullet holes touching each other at 100 yards. his barrels are something to behold.
....build a anderson arms lower with a rise trigger. all good stuff with money left for decent middle of the road optic. fwiw
Old May 27, 2024, 11:03 AM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
i just shot a satern upper. not a tool /wrench mark anywhere. bullet holes touching each other at 100 yards. his barrels are something to behold.
....build a anderson arms lower with a rise trigger. all good stuff with money left for decent middle of the road optic. fwiw
Good suggestion.
Old May 27, 2024, 12:11 PM   #14
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobn View Post
Good to know. Is the barrel their premium cut barrel, or the more affordable button barrel?

-TL

Old May 27, 2024, 10:26 PM   #15
bobn

button, best of my knowledge sir
Old May 27, 2024, 10:58 PM   #16
tangolima

Thanks. I will check them out when I need a barrel.

-TL