PDA

View Full Version : used Ruger 77 price check

EricM
September 6, 2001, 06:12 PM
Any thoughts on a Ruger M77 .30-06 w/walnut stock and Leupold 3x9 scope? Rifle is about 10 years old w/1 box of ammo through it. Supposedly in excellent condition. Price is $450.

How do these compare with Remington 700 & Win 70? How's the price? Anything in particular to look for with this rifle?

EricM
September 6, 2001, 06:21 PM
I did some searching in the forum and came to the realization that it's probably not a good deal :). Although maybe the scope makes a difference?

Johnny Guest
September 6, 2001, 06:34 PM
but you could probably shop around and do a little better, at least in my area.

I've used Ruger M-77s in .30-06 and .257 Roberts for well over 20 years, and they were both used when I got 'em. I'm very satisfied. It is an excellent all-around rifle.

The Remington 700 seems to be the yardstick by which other bolt guns are measured, nowadays. The 700 probably has the potential for more pure accuracy. The Winchester model 70 had some bad times, beginning in 1964 and for years thereafter. In recent years, it has come back up in quality, and compares quite well with the Ruger 77. The later 77s have come with "lawyer-proof" triggers, which can be pretty poor. The older ones--eight or ten years back--have triggers which can be adjusted by a competent gunsmith.

This sort of brand-preference discussion can foster some very heated exchanges. Just remember, it really boils down to what YOU want. Unless you know exactly what you're looking at, I'd say to avoid sporterized military rifles, and to stick with the commercial ones, as you've mentioned.
Try to examine and handle each of those rifles before you spend the money, and you might want to give the Savage rifles a look, too. Choose the one that feels best to you, because you're the one who'll be using it.

Whatever your choice,
Best of luck.
Johnny

EricM
September 6, 2001, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. Local store has a Win 70 Super Grade, and the rifle looks and feels very nice. The price seems right at $750, but that's a lot for a first hunting rifle, and I'll need a scope, too!

The Rem 700 BDL price is $539, and I can get a regular Win 70 with stainless barrel and synth stock for the same price. Tough choice all the way around. The Super Grade is calling me. Decisions.