PDA

View Full Version : Lendringser's Guilt-Free Gun Purchasing Philosophy

Marko Kloos
August 13, 2001, 11:10 PM
After reading all the calls for help from folks newly afflicted with "Gun Buyitis", I am offering the following rationalization aid as a community service to the TFL folks.

My gun collection has increased tenfold since I put this philosophy into practice, and I can't find a serious flaw in it. Best of all, it enables me to sign the checks with a smile on my face, absolutely free of guilt.

My gun purchases are not expenditures, they are investments. I am not wasting money, I am merely investing it in non-depreciating assets. We all know that most guns rise in value every year, and each of the guns in my collection can be sold in a very short amount of time for close to its original purchase price. Furthermore, guns are sought-after commodities that always find buyers. Should I fall on hard times, I can liquidate a part of my collection in a matter of days to free up the invested money.

Furthermore, I have an embarrassing history of spending the money in my savings account on less-than-necessary items like food, song and shiny gadgets. With my new savings strategy, I only make a "withdrawal" when absolutely necessary, in a dire emergency, since I don't want to deplete my collection.

Therefore, every time I buy a new gun, I see it as a deposit into my savings account, rather than an irresponsible waste of money of toys. It's not a check, it's a deposit slip!

Beautiful, no? :D

DeputyVaughn
August 13, 2001, 11:59 PM
The only problem with your philosophy is ..If your like me...There's no way in hell your going to part with any of your collection. I won't even trade for another piece I'm interested in. I'll just save till I can get it.

Scott A. Vaughn

Long Path
August 14, 2001, 08:04 AM
I just applied for a house loan, and to my immense surprise, found that they banker was actually eager to loan me far more than I can responsibly accept. It seems that my credit is better than I thought (who knew?). What cracked me up, and what I could not bring myself to tell my banker, was that the only thing that had saved my credit from being besmirched on a couple or three occasions was that I was able to run a gun or two into my local friendly pawn shop for some quick cash to cover a check that I was afraid would bounce (or was just too close for comfort). I've a shotgun, a pistol, and a rifle that have independently or together saved my bacon on several occasions... financially. As soon as the check in question would clear, I would run back with most of the original cash and a little extra, and get the poor family members/investments out of hock. But if you do this with guns that you bought at a gun show or in a private gun sale, keep in mind that you will have documented that gun to yourself when you pass them to and back from a pawn dealer's possession. Thus, I only used those three firearms, and never any others.

Mr. James
August 14, 2001, 09:56 AM
lendringser, :D

even my wife couldn't argue with that logic. Where's the [bleepin'] checkbook?

Redlg155
August 14, 2001, 06:53 PM
Hmmm..I have recently overcome my addiction to "shiny" things and have decided to have a garage sale somewhere in the path of lendringser headed to his favorite gun haunt with check in hand to test his mettle. :D

I would gladly trade some shiny "stuff" for some new guns!

Good Shooting
RED

neal bloom
August 15, 2001, 07:11 PM
My wife, being a banker, has accepted that guns can be an investment . Once in awhile I take her to the the gun shop or show her SGN to prove my point. Unfortunately, she is a banker and since we live in a community property state she has a say in any procurement, especially cash outlays. She is particularly sensitive to the use of plastic in procurring things. Bankers love to charge other people interest but they don't like paying it. My biblical arguements on usury fall on deaf ears. Other than that she supports my Gun Buyitis, as long as I keep it under control. Guns are an investment, both financially, spiritually, and emotionally. They run the whole gestalt of it.

PreserveFreedom
August 15, 2001, 11:21 PM
Investments...that word sounds best when talking about those expensive guns. ;)

wishbone
August 16, 2001, 07:39 PM
LENDRINGSER..You are right on with this one..I will pick up a good buy on a gun I may already have ,just so I will be able to part with it, should the need arise. It's like ready cash,with enjoyment built in..:D

OF
August 16, 2001, 09:36 PM
You people do not have my best interests at heart. Sit, Visa, SIT! :D

- Gabe

Aggie
August 17, 2001, 01:23 PM
My Significant Other (of 32 yrs!) and I went to the last Houston gun show - looking to trade/swap/sell my .38 for a .357.

When we DID find one, we hadn't sold the .38 yet. The deal wasn't EXACTLY what I was looking for and I wasn't going to get as much for my .38 as I thought it was worth. OTOH, a) it was the best offer of the day and b) it was not all that bad of a deal and c) we were about out of available time and d) our feet REALLY hurt! I chose to walk away from the table rather than do something foolish. After all, there was no outstanding reason I could not continue to carry and shoot the li'l ol' .38 for awhile longer.

As we looked around, Mrs Aggie begins suggesting that the .357 DID look pretty good. It's action was smooth (she tried it out, too) and furthermore, SHE thought I'd like it! I gave her the ???? look and thought about it for another 0.35 ms. Recognizing a strategic shift in command structure, I executed an about face in proper husbandly style. We proceeded to the rear and executed the swap. One .38 for one .357 and appropriate cash.

You know what? I really DO like it better. Now if I could just find a holster fer the durn thang!

That's OUR gun-buying philosophy and I'm stickin' to it!

Be safe ya'll!

Kharn
August 17, 2001, 05:22 PM
I pay with checks, and my bank doesnt return my checks, they only send a monthly statement saying check # and ammount it was for. Quite helpful, as my parents have to accept any excuse I come up with (for some reason, I never press hard enough in the checkbook for certain checks, so they cant read who it was written to), they'd freak over giant checks to Bushmaster Firearms, Inc.

Kharn