PDA

View Full Version : Indoor range in Ohio

BobRowe
August 5, 2001, 10:54 PM
I have a couple of questions for the forum members in Ohio. This coming Friday, my wife and I are traveling to Ohio to visit her kin. We'll be staying in Dublin, a suburb of Columbus. I plan on taking a handgun or two on the trip, and I have a couple of questions:

(1) I plan to cary the guns unloaded in a locked gun/attache case, with the ammo is a separate range bag. Everything will be in the trunk of the car. is that sufficient for Ohio law?

(2) Is there an indoor range in that area where I, as a Michigan resident, can get in some practice? I'm not looking for a place hwere I can draw, shoot from cover, etc. Just a place where I can stand up and shoot from a bench, counter, etc. I do want to be able to shoot my own handloads, and not have to buy ammo from the range facility.

Thanks.

Coronach
August 6, 2001, 12:31 AM
Powell, Ohio has a little place called The Powder Room. Its not too far from Dublin, but unless you know where it is, call them for directions, or can simply locate gunpowder by smell, you will NEVER find it. Not sure about their rates, but the salesmen are QUITE nice and they do transfers for $20.

New Albany Shooting Club is probably nicer, possibly more expensive. Its also further away.

Email me if you want directions to the Powder Room. If you give me your nearest intersection in Dublin I can give you directions there that avoid the worst traffic. I can also give you leads on things to do in the area, and places to avoid.

As to the legality of transporting in that manner, it looks good to me.

Mike

BobRowe
August 6, 2001, 07:25 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the info and the offer. I've sent you an e-mail.

--Bob

ATTICUS
August 6, 2001, 08:50 AM
http://www.powderrm.com/
http://www.nasr.com/

Here are some link to the mentioned ranges. Your storage/transportation is legal. Either range would work for you.

The powder room is much closer to your location and a lot less expensive - unless your planning on shooting a long time. New Albany charges a flat rate and the PR charges by the (half) hour.

New albany is a great range but their policies are more than a little obnoxious. They don't conduct a strip/cavity search to shoot there as of yet , but the process of shooting there is about as pleasant (and cordial) as a traffic stop. Plan on filling out some paperwork, proving that your ammo is not steel core (i.e. pulling evrey single round out of your bag), and they may ask to see your weapon as well. The PR on the other hand is very low key.

Coronach
August 6, 2001, 10:34 AM
Hey, I emailed you, but my email program is being...problematic. Let me know if you got the directiosn I sent you.

Thanks,
Mike

JB-man
August 6, 2001, 06:12 PM
Hey everybody,
If you are in the Central Ohio area, or just passing through, consider going to the New Albany Shooting Range.
take 270 outerbelt to the northeast side, get on 161 East. About 5 miles out, get off at st rt. 62 North. Go through 1 stoplight, and about half mile on the left is the range.
It is indoor range, for pistols, rifles, shotguns etc.... But call them first if you have something bigger to try out.
They do have schooling from begginers to pros, and even high-class police training.
It's alot of fun, and the people there are VERY knowledgeable and helpful.
They also sell firearms and ammo and safes.... just about everything.

BobRowe
August 6, 2001, 07:29 PM
Atticus,

Thanks much for the info and the links! I really appreciate it!

--Bob

BobRowe
August 6, 2001, 07:31 PM
Mike,

I received your e-mail. Thank you very much for the imformation -- it will help a bunch!

--Bob

BobRowe
August 6, 2001, 07:32 PM
JB-man,

Thank you much for your response and the info that you provided. I really appreciate it.

--Bob

Gonzo_308
August 6, 2001, 09:22 PM
It's been my experience that NASR has more inventory, nicer, newer ranges but you don't get the treatment or atmosphere you do at the Powder Room.

The Powder Room has a coupla old salts there that can help you through just about anything and they aren't pushy. If you need something ask. Otherwise they'll leave you alone and not look down at you because you weren't a cameo in Dick Marchinkos last comic book. They are very knowledgable, Infinitely moreso than the "salesmen" at NASR.

Don't get me wrong. I like NASR. But unless I know what I'm looking for. I Don't go there seeking information.

JB-man
August 6, 2001, 10:52 PM
I have NEVER had a problem with anyone at the New Albany Shooting Range. No checking of my ammo or anything like that.
Nobody watching your every move....
Everyone that works there is very friendly, and very conservative as far as I can tell.
They are your friends. Cops that shoot there, are also your friends. New Albany region of Ohio is very conservative, and I want to live there..... but it's too far away from my wife's Taekwondo school.
--sigh--
But it's worth the drive there to do my duty.

Joe Klug
August 6, 2001, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the info folks. I'll be in Columbus later this year and will try to visit at least one of these places if I have time.

Joe

Coronach
August 6, 2001, 11:27 PM
I almost forgot the most important thing... COFFEE

Stauf's Coffee makes the BEST coffee in columbus. Hands down.

I-270 south to I-670, get off at grandview Ave, go north, across Dublin Road (past Barley's), up the hill. They're on the left in a long low strip of stores, first or second one you come to.

If you're not a latte steamer espresso frappe type of guy, they do ordinary coffee...the key to ordering is this: #1 is always french roast (dark, strong), #2 is always regular roast, #3 is always decaf, #4 is always flavored. So a large #2 and a monster pecan roll are great options for Sunday paper reading.

Mike

PS www.staufs.com

sgoeing
August 7, 2001, 10:34 AM
There is also a small indoor range called Target World at the north intersection of I-75 and 275 . However this would be much farther away than the two mentioned above.
Michael Goeing

Gonzo_308
August 7, 2001, 04:40 PM
......and if you need a mechanic I can get you the name of a guy....

Coronach
August 8, 2001, 02:18 PM
I sense you are making fun of me. (:D)

Hey, I gave him tips on ranges, malls (Tuttle and Easton), mexican food (El Vaquero), Beer and BBQ (Barley's Smokehouse), and coffee. All you would ever need to make a trip to Columbus complete.

Please tell me that all of the native Columbus-types have been to El Vaquero, Barley's and Staufs. Right? You HAVE been, right? If not, you are really missing out.

Also, for Chinese food, Moy's on High Street in the University area cannot be beat...especially since it is summer time and the college students are few...and the college girls that are present are scantily clad! :D

Mike

PS Which mechanic? ;)

Coronach
August 8, 2001, 05:29 PM
Ice cream.

Knight's Homemade Ice Cream, just north of I-270 on Cleveland Ave. Just drive past Schrock Rd and look to your right. Unimpressive buidling, delicious ice cream.

:D

Mike

falconer
August 8, 2001, 09:09 PM
Coronach,

I'll have to check a few of those places out. I live in Columbus 9 months of the year and haven't heard of most of the places you mentioned (easton and tuttle being the exceptions). Of course, I'm set as far as ranges go. I get to shoot at the OSU range for free and its only a 15 minute walk from my dorm :)

ATTICUS
August 8, 2001, 09:26 PM
Naaahhhh! City BBQ (Gahanna) - Graeters ice cream - Mi Mexico or Latin Rooster (Stoneridge plaza -Gahanna) There are many ways to fatten up in Cowlumbus.

Coronach
August 8, 2001, 10:09 PM
Barley's has good BBQ, but the beer is the REAL draw. AMAZING beer. Truly a treasure- Columbus doesn't realise what it has there.

I'll have to check out the other places, though. Graeter's ice cream is good, too. Knights is creamier, Graeter's is sweeter. Knight's is also juuuuuuuuust outside of my precinct, so its kinda/sorta easy to eat on duty.

Falconer:
You shoot at OSU? Nice. I tried to get in contact with the club prez there about joining the team to get CMP/DCM qualifications, he never emailed me back. Do you know a contact for the OSU pistol or rifle team?

Thanks,
Mike

falconer
August 8, 2001, 10:26 PM
Coronach,

I'm assuming you tried getting ahold of the rifle club prez? I have his home phone number somewhere, I could PM that to you along with his email address. The prez, myself and 2 others from the rifle club went to the O.R.P.A. spring clinic last April (a rifle team member and pistol team member were there as well).

If you would like to contact either coach, I can give you the number at the range. Coach Cherry (rifle) is there most days I think. My coach, Sweeney (pistol), is there Tuesday and Friday evenings from 5-7 or so. Or, I could deliver a message for you the next time I go down to Columbus for practice.

Coronach
August 9, 2001, 01:22 PM
If you could, just have the club prez email me ([email protected])...he'll OBVIOUSLY have questions, if he just sends me a msg saying 'hey, i heard you had questions about OSU rifle/pistol team, email me at this addy' I'll send him a msg and explain myself. :)

Thanks!

Mike