PDA

View Full Version : .17 WSM

BullseyePrecision
July 23, 2013, 09:09 AM
Anyone have the new 17 wsm yet? I was thinking about getting one but its still pretty new and not very many manufacturers have a rifle oit foe rhis caliber yer. The only one ive seen is the savage b mag.

Kimber84
July 23, 2013, 11:01 AM
I haven't seen any ammo yet either. I'll let the guinea pigs try it out first... I don't want to be the first guy to buy a rimfire rifle at its debut only to be stuck with a gun I can't reload.

Geezerbiker
July 23, 2013, 07:50 PM
I was concerned that it will go the way of the .5mm rem mag so I went with a .17 Hornet instead. At the very worst I can resize .22 Hornet cases down to .17...

Tony

stumper1300
July 23, 2013, 08:02 PM
I have one on layaway. So far I have 6 boxes of ammo for it. I will give a report when I get around to picking it up.

Scorch
July 24, 2013, 03:11 AM
Saw one about two weeks ago. Not a great shooter. Ammo looks kinda cool, though.

FrankenMauser
July 24, 2013, 03:22 PM
I like the cartridge, and would want to buy a rifle if I was in the market.

However, the B.Mag isn't for me. It was designed with one goal in mind: to create a modular rimfire rifle platform that would be cheaper to manufacture than any other rimfire Savage has ever produced (the B.Mag is supposed to be the future of all bolt action Savage rimfires). That, alone, is enough to make me keep my distance. When Savage cuts corners, they always make mistakes.

In addition, several people that have managed to get their hands on one of the rifles have reported that the bolt can be uncomfortable to manipulate, due to the unconventional knob shape. And, it seems that everyone who has tried to let their children shoot it found out quickly that the force required to close the bolt is greater than that which most kids can handle. (An article in Rifleman reports 22 lbs for their test rifle, while some internet reports say it feels more like 30-40 lbs is required.)

Eventually, Savage will have a great rifle for the cartridge. But right now... they're making YOU pay for their extended testing, and treating their customers as unknowing R&D beta testers.

steveNChunter
July 25, 2013, 06:08 PM
I'm hoping Ruger comes out with the 77/17 chambered for it :D

I'm not very impressed with the Savage B-mag either and the Winchester is more money than I want to put into a rimfire

ranchito457
July 26, 2013, 12:46 PM
Was thinking about getting one till I saw a box of ammo at my local bass
selling for 23.99 for 20.At over $1.00 a round for rim-fire I think I'll just go
for a 17 hornet-204 or a 22-250.In my opinion too much money for a round I cant reload..

Geezerbiker
July 27, 2013, 06:33 PM
That's why I went with the .17 Hornet but so far finding ammo has been more elusive than other rounds. I got 2 boxes of 25 from Midway a few months ago for $16 something a box but I'm down to one box and I'm saving it for ground squirrels...

The dies are out of stock too and listed as expected mid December. So reloading is out of the question at the moment too...

Tony

steveNChunter
July 27, 2013, 07:29 PM
23.99 for 20

So what happened to "around $15 for a box of 50"? That's what was said when the cartridge was unveiled at the SHOT show. I guess they lied...

FrankenMauser
July 28, 2013, 12:07 AM
So what happened to "around $15 for a box of 50"? That's what was said when the cartridge was unveiled at the SHOT show. I guess they lied...

Everything I have seen has been priced near the promised ~$15 / box of 50.
I also haven't seen any of the ammo priced above $17/box. Nor, have I seen any .17 WSM ammo packaged in boxes of 20. (Winchester doesn't list anything as being sold in a box of 20, either.)

Quantities aside... Winchester can't control greed. All they can do is sell the ammo at a wholesale price that is likely to result in the target retail price. If a greedy shop owner wants to gouge their customers, that's something the shop's customers need to deal with (by going elsewhere).

Joe_Pike
August 4, 2013, 07:41 PM
So what happened to "around $15 for a box of 50"? That's what was said when the cartridge was unveiled at the SHOT show. I guess they lied

I saw the ammo at Academy for $15.99/box of 50. They were sold out of the guns though.

ranchito457
August 5, 2013, 07:11 AM
I must have read the wrong price/description tag that day.I was wrong went back yesterday and they were 16.99 for 50.I took the bullet weight for the shell count.

reynolds357
August 6, 2013, 09:36 PM
Ammo is supposed to be readily available. They supposedly have the stuff available in ample supply. Supposed to be one of its selling points.

m_liebst
August 7, 2013, 11:11 PM
Ammo prices are around 13.99 per box of 50 for the 20 grain loads, & around 16.99 per box of 50 for the 25 grain loads. Ballistic-wise:
the .17 WSM has as much energy @ 200 yards as the .17HMR has at 50 yards...- pretty impressive. The .17WSM has double the energy of the .22WMR @ 200 yards. ( 200 foot pounds vs 90 foot pounds)

At the muzzle the .17WSM hits 375 FP for the 25 grainers and 400 for the 20 grainers. Ballistic coefficient is superior to all other rimfire cartridges.