PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire target rifle

dakota.potts
June 30, 2013, 09:00 PM
I've mostly been looking at practical guns lately but yesterday I shot some clay pigeons at 50 yards with a S&W MP15-22 and realized just how fun it is.

I realized it would be great to have an accurate rile with no recoil that I can shoot at a low cost.

I'd like to spend less than $400. I'll take a look at just about any type of rifle. Semi automatic or bolt. I would consider pump or level but I plan to be doing all kinds of shooting including bench and would like as little movement between bench shots as possible.

It should also be fairly lightweight (for offhand shooting), have the ability to accept a scope and bipod, and have iron sights that will work well at 50 or maybe (once in a blue moon) 100 yards. I'll be looking to eventually learn to shoot within a 10 ring at 100 yards so if this rifle can do that that would be great. I'd expect it to be something capable of not much more than 1 MOA at 50 yards, although I definitely won't be for a while.

We have a Ruger 10/22 so I'm not sure I'm interested in getting one of those

Considering .22lr but also .17HMR or WSM

What do you guys think?

Picher
June 30, 2013, 09:04 PM
Savage MKII might work for you.

dakota.potts
June 30, 2013, 09:18 PM
That is definitely in the price range I am looking for. It can take a bipod, correct?

I really am a huge CZ fanboy and I'd love the 452 or 455 series but it looks like those are more expensive by a good margin.

JimmyR
July 1, 2013, 12:05 AM
Dakota, I have a MkII I use for plinking. Mine does not have iron sights, but that's due to the fluted barrel that came with mine. I personally love mine, and I think mine was sub-$300 used with a nice laminate stock.

Happy shooting!

jabraun98
July 1, 2013, 02:22 AM
I think a savage mark II FVT model would suit your needs perfectly!

darkgael
July 1, 2013, 04:33 AM
It should also be fairly lightweight (for offhand shooting),
Just FYI..Don't worry overly much about weight....dedicated target rifles are fairly heavy. Weight helps stabilize a rifle when shooting offhand.
pete

baddarryl
July 1, 2013, 10:56 AM
Marlin bolt actions are hella accurate for a damn good price.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
July 1, 2013, 01:55 PM
Likely the best bang for the buck, on an across the board average would be one of the CZ .22LR rifles.

Almost any brand of rifles will have represented a rifle that shoots VERY good and may even do so with a number of different ammos. But just as likely that isn't the average. The CZ seems to have the reputation of shooting, across the board, waaaay better then a rifle of that price should be expected to shoot.

Check out the posts on Rimfire Central Forum.

The "street price" of the CZ, during normal times is very good considering.

Many Savages shoot well as do Marlins - sometimes, so first you must establish just what your willing to live with as per accuracy, and how much time and money do you wish to invest to find the ammo the rifle likes. It may be quick and simple and it may not.

Typically the better the rifle/barrel, the more and different ammos - off the shelf and match/target - it will shoot well and the less time and money you must spend to find it's favored brand/type.

Some years back, TC came out with their "Classic" semi-auto .22LR said in their ads to shoot 1/2" 50yd groups and having a match grade trigger.

Well I tried one and my rifle was not only a jam-o-matic, but didn't shoot as advertised and was far far, yes far from having a match grade trigger.

I ended up with a Clark Custom 77/22 which filled the bill as to my desires/needs/wants as per a very accurate .22LR.

It is heavy and wasn't cheap, but it did what I wanted and did so extremely well, and it shoots a broad range of ammo very well. I got what I paid for!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

PetahW
July 1, 2013, 05:23 PM

Combining "shooting offhand" & "can it take a bipod" in an inquiry about a single rifle seems to make it sound like an oxymoron.

allaroundhunter
July 1, 2013, 05:50 PM

Combining "shooting offhand" & "can it take a bipod" in an inquiry about a single rifle seems to make it sound like an oxymoron.

You don't always get to shoot from the same field position... My hunting and precision rifles have bipods, but they also get shot offhand.

jclayto
July 1, 2013, 07:37 PM
Don't forget to have a look at the Kimber 82g offered by the CMP.

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/kimber82desc.htm

Bart B.
July 1, 2013, 10:40 PM
Darkgael, heavy target rifles help stabilize it (moves around slower) in all positions, not just standing (offhand).

Rattlehead
July 3, 2013, 03:27 PM
If you're staying within 100, a good bolt 22LR will probably do just fine and ammo will be more economical. If you're looking to go past 100, I'd go for the 17 every time (and you can actually find ammo for it, usually ~$15 for a box of 50).

Have you considered modifying your current 10/22 to "target" standard? I'm not a huge fan of the "Mr. Potato Head 10/22", but if it may fit the bill in your case.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
July 3, 2013, 03:56 PM
But there are some of us, that If I'm going to the .22 mag or the rimfire 17s, I'll go just a bit farther and a major step up in performance and buy a center fire.

Yes, I fully understand the convenience of just picking up a box of ammo and leaving the empties laying where they fall, but the .22LR is plenty good enough for me until I embrace what ever center fire I happen to choose.

At this point, it is the .243 with a 55gr Nosler Balistic tip.

Clearly not everyone makes that same choice as I or the various rimfire .17s and the .22mag would have died long ago.

Sure great that we have these choices to make!!! :) :D

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

allaroundhunter
July 3, 2013, 04:20 PM
Here is my .22:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/04/e6ehu4u5.jpg

And here is how it shoots at 40 yards with match ammo that it likes - 10 shots, circle is 1":

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/04/nugu9esu.jpg

hogdogs
July 3, 2013, 05:12 PM
If you get the Savage MK 2 get at least one 5 round mag... The 10 rounder protrudes too far down for my liking when shooting from the bench and it is always digging into my back if I carry from a sling...

Brent

Slamfire
July 3, 2013, 06:21 PM
Get these CMP Kimbers before they are gone! If you can't shoot a dime sized group at 50 yards with one of these, it is not the rifle's fault.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Rifles%20various/Kimber%20M82G/DSCN1726KimberM82Government_zps4f7ef578.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SlamFire/media/Rifles%20various/Kimber%20M82G/DSCN1726KimberM82Government_zps4f7ef578.jpg.html)

Jim243
July 3, 2013, 07:02 PM
We have a Ruger 10/22 so I'm not sure I'm interested in getting one of those

LOL, silly person, you can make it into whatever you want it to be. And the rifle ones (not carbine length) are extremely accurate right out of the box. The triggers could be better, but that is a simple fix you can do yourself.

Jim

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/SAM_0899-1.jpg (http://s620.photobucket.com/user/bigjim_02/media/SAM_0899-1.jpg.html)

Or you could go 22 Mag and go to 200 yards.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/bigjim_02/SAM_0449.jpg (http://s620.photobucket.com/user/bigjim_02/media/SAM_0449.jpg.html)

pete2
July 3, 2013, 10:05 PM
The 10/22 is hard to beat. Pretty easy to get 1" groups at 50 yds even with the standard barrel. I have one with a red dot, one with Williams peep sight on it, and a heavy barrel with a 4 to 12 Simmons scope. All 3 are good rifles. You will have to do something about the trigger. I put a Volkq. hammer in the heavy bbl gun, did the other 2 myself. I also have a Remington 541T HB but it is finicky about ammo. I shoot the Rugers a lot more often.

fatwhiteboy
July 3, 2013, 10:20 PM
I would give you the same advice as I would if you were buying a scope. Save up the money and buy a very, very good one. Look at the Anschutz 64...

dakota.potts
July 4, 2013, 02:42 AM
Thanks for all the responses.

Seems .17 is nowhere near as affordable as I thought -- rifle or ammo!

My 18th birthday is in August and I'm really pushing for an AR from the folks :D However, I'll then be able to save up the money and buy a rifle myself so it would likely happen some time after that.

Really coming down close between the 10/22 and the CZ. I am a CZ guy. I love my CZ 75 and the CZ 20 gauge semi automatic is the only shotgun I have ever held that felt good to me (I have a small wingspan, as it were). The 10/22 is my little brother's so I couldn't modify it.

I guess some will depend on money. I think shooting the CZ (being bolt action) might help me save money because I won't be tempted to dump ammo :p

Anybody got any experiences between these two? I've seen remarkable accuracy out of both (Just saw a guy hit a bullet trap at 400 yards with a 10/22) so I know I'm good on that front. 10/22 is modular but I'll hopefully have an AR 15 at some point or another for both semi auto and modular.

EDIT: As I'm left eye dominant I shoot long guns left handed. I shoot our R700 left handed (but the kick is huge for me haha). Is there any reason to get a left handed bolt gun? The only problem I've ever noticed with a semi auto is a couple .22 shells hitting my arm. I realize it adjusts your point of aim between shots to have to switch hands but I'm not (yet anyways) going for speed shooting

dakota.potts
July 4, 2013, 02:45 AM
fatwhiteboy, I see an Anschutz in my rich future. For now, that will probably have to wait. I don't really have a steady job so it will depend on how my musical duo does with the bar gigs haha

JimmyR
July 4, 2013, 02:56 AM
Dakota:

I was in a similar spot, and decided to do a 10/22 build. I posted some of my details here (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5558074&postcount=21).

In short, I bought a new 10/22 ($250), a used ATI Strikeford 6 position folding stock ($70 shipped- used), a like new Barska 30mm red dot sight ($30 shipped), plus a UTG foregrip and bungee sling. Under $400, with a fun little plinker for the range. I love it, and is manageable to feed if you can find 22 LR. Is it what I want for uber-accuracy- no. I have a Savage MkII for that. This is a fun plinker, but totally worth it.

dakota.potts
July 4, 2013, 03:10 AM
That's not at all the type of build I'd be looking to do but it's really awesome how wide the customization is that we can have two different ideas of what we'd do with it.

How accurate would you consider yours? I'd like to cover a quarter, if not a dime, at 50 yards. Obviously it'll take me a long time to do that but I'd like a rifle that can do it.

JimmyR
July 4, 2013, 03:54 AM
Unfortunately, the range I go to is an indoor that caps at 25 yds, and I am still fine-tuning the red dot I put on it; however, if I needed a tack-driver, I'd grab my savage bolt action. It feels a lot more accurate, and the trigger feels better.

That said, I don't shoot rifles much, and the 10/22's "shortcomings" may be more based on user error.

Rattlehead
July 4, 2013, 08:28 AM
Just curious what 17 HMR rifles gave you sticker shock? I won't try to talk you into one if you're dead set on 22LR, but both Marlin and Savage check in at ~$250.

Ammo is admittedly more expensive compared to 22LR, but it beats the hell out of 30-06 for medium-distance shooting (in both price and availability).

Pahoo
July 4, 2013, 10:36 AM
I think a savage mark II FVT model would suit your needs perfectly!
I just got a new one of these and was pleasantly surprised on the performance of the AccuTrigger. Let off at 2.75lbs', absolutely no creep and let off crisp and consistent.
You have to go a long way to find this good of a trigger, out of the box. ..;)
Still have to bore sight it before I can put in some range-time. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

dakota.potts
July 4, 2013, 07:56 PM
Despite everyone else's trying to sell me on the 10/22, I think I have sold myself on the CZ452. It is a little more expensive but closer to what I originally wanted. One thing that really sold me is that the 450 model goes from .17 Hornet to .223. They also make a model in 7.62 and a large bore that guarantees 1 MOA out to 600 yards, and all of the above in left handed models. I could see my collection of CZs growing immensely haha.

I'm still open to suggestions while I save my money but I think a .452 is what I'll be looking at.

dakota.potts
July 4, 2013, 09:22 PM
I think I'll order the 455 American which is a .22 with a .17 replacement barrel. Is it possible to get a replacement barrel in a larger caliber as well? Ultimately I'd want one in .17, .22, .223, and then something that can do a little longer range but I haven't decided on that caliber yet.

My mind is pretty much decided :D I'd like to hold one first though so I'll ask any time I stop in a gun store just in case they have one.