PDA

View Full Version : Got a question for the ak guys that carried in the sandbox

sfmedic
May 30, 2013, 12:30 PM
Here is a discussion Im having with some SAS guys im working with:

after you zero your AK 25 zero> 100m confirm - where do you set the rear site rail?

I have always left it at 100 - apparently the SAS crew slide it up to 300

I know when im using an m4 or 16 i keep the rear aperture with the "L" down

when using it in CQB mode we dont use the rear site but do the AQK technique looking over the top - same with the AK

just for day to day carry with the AK - whats your suggestion?

Dfariswheel
May 30, 2013, 06:46 PM
The AK rear sight has a built in battle sight setting.
This is the lowest setting on the sight leaf and is marked with a symbol instead of a number.
The battle sight setting symbol is different for AK's made by different countries.
As example, my Bulgarian rifles have an upside down U to mark the barrel sight.

The lowest, battle sight setting is equivalent to 300 meters.
If you sight the rifle in dead on at 100 meters with the rear sight set on the 100 meter mark, then move the sight down to the battle sight setting, you can hit a man in the chest at any range from 0 to 350 meters by simply aiming center of mass.
At close range you'll hit high, at longer ranges you'll hit low in the chest, but if you do your job you will get a hit.

This is how the rifle was designed to be used. For normal use, use the battle sight setting. If you can estimate the range, you can move the sight to that range and shoot, but you're better off to just set it on the battle sight setting and leave it there.

dvdcrr
June 11, 2013, 07:40 AM
I think the best way would be to slide it up to 100 or 1 and then actually sight in at 200-250 yds. Then at that setting you would be set for effective range of the rifle. Then I would not mess with it.

Dfariswheel
June 11, 2013, 05:46 PM
Possible, and will work but that's not how it was intended to work.
If you sight in like that, the other range settings will not be valid.

If you set the sight on 100 meters and sight in, then move the sight down to the battle sight setting, you can get hits at 0 to 350 meters.
BUT, you still have the option of setting the sight at any other setting and get more precise hits at those ranges.