PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first AR-15, What's a good scope (good value)

ender1981
March 27, 2013, 02:35 PM
Just bought a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 (ar-15). I added magpul backup sites, but haven't done anything else besides that. I'll use this for target shooting & and just incase SHTF. Not sure if i want a holo type site, or a scope. I may end up getting both at some point so I can swap them out depending on the use that day.. But for those who have used both, which do you prefer for every day use/prepping?

Skadoosh
March 27, 2013, 03:56 PM
If you're on a budget, check out the Burris AR332. If you're looking for a non-magnified reddot-type optic, look at the Lucid HD7 Gen III.

Panfisher
March 27, 2013, 05:23 PM
For general short to medium range shooting I really like the 1-4 range scopes. Nikon makes a pretty good one and I have a Bushnell 1-4.5 that is pretty darn good. On low setting it is very fast on target, faster than I am with reglar sites, and turned up to 4.5 it ain't bad. Even many of the 2-7 scopes are very good in that respect with better midrange distance magnification.

Justice06RR
March 27, 2013, 08:47 PM
Do you want a magnified scope or a Red dot? For a Red dot sight(RDS) the two best options are Aimpoint and Eotech. The model will depend on your budget. If you are on a tighter budget, a Bushnell TRS or a Vortex should fit the bill.

I would suggest a quality non-magnified RDS first to learn on before moving on to magnified scopes. Better yet, master your iron sights first then your prefered optic.

breakingcontact
March 27, 2013, 11:10 PM
I like the 1-4X scopes too, but for less money you can buy a quality fixed power 3 or 4X scope.

Not very tacticool but practicool.

sundog
March 29, 2013, 12:25 PM
I like the Nikon M-223 Rifle Scope 1-4x 20mm BDC 600 Reticle and the matching mount.

Erno86
March 29, 2013, 02:26 PM
The Burris 332 ain't so bad. I also have a Burris Tactical XTR 1-4X, 3Omm tube, with a Burris FastFire Red Dot mounted on top. The turrents on the XTR are a bit mushy...but otherwise, it is a good scope. The FastFire comes with a dustcover.

Midway has a flyer sale on the Burris Tac 30, 1-4X, with a FastFire mounted on top; along with a P.E.P.R. mount.

Venom1956
March 29, 2013, 02:52 PM
Reddots belong on ARs. Especially if you expect to do any close combat shooting.

Red dots of various quality are readily available from sub $50 to over $1k. Find a few in your price range post em here and We'll help you pick whats best for you.

PS those burris sights that skadoosh mentioned look nice. I just hate how everything has the integrated riser for an AR nowadays... Sometimes people want optics like that on OTHER GUNS! :mad:

Pilot
March 29, 2013, 03:05 PM
Burris MTAC 1-4x24 or the MTAC 1.5-6x40.

http://swfa.com/Burris-MTAC-Rifle-Scopes-C3927.aspx

Ridge_Runner_5
March 29, 2013, 03:54 PM
Trijicon ACOG TA01NSN :)

Skadoosh
March 29, 2013, 07:05 PM
I really like the Burris AR332, but I dispensed with the rails on my scope.

http://i33.servimg.com/u/f33/12/63/91/01/img_5810.jpg

Kirk D
March 29, 2013, 07:47 PM
My first "AR" scope was a Nikon M-233 2-8x, Nikon 233 mount and rings, which worked well. But for me the reticule was never clear and sharp for some reason.

Then bought a EOtech 512. Very nice "scope", but the dot in the middle, and the ring around it, looked a little like "stars" around it. Did a bunch of stuff trying to find out what was going on, until I put my glasses on. The EOtech looked exactly it's supposed to, like in all the pictures in the internet look like it. I hadn't even mounted the Eotech... only put the batteries in and used a half hour to find out why it wasn't working right.

I almost never use my glasses and don't I don't won't want to have my glasses just to use my AR. I can't see things close up very well, but not great in long away.

I finally bought a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x Mil Dot. That's a great scope, I don't have to use my glasses <g>, and isn't much more expensive than the Nikon I purchased.

I'm very happy with everything I have on my AR now, though I have to sell those first two scopes

NWPilgrim
March 29, 2013, 11:51 PM
For a heavy duty red dot (excellent for close quarters shooting, <100yds) the Aimpoint PRO is the best value at $400. Primary Arms has a good reputation for lower cost red dots and good customer service (about $100). I have a Bushnell Microdot red dot and it is smaller than the Aimpoint so it is not as fast on target but it has worked well and is more like $50.

For scopes I would go with the 1-4x scopes. They are more compact than the 3-9x and cheaper and more suited for the 0-200 yd shooting. Weaver, Nikon, Vortex, Primary Arms, etc. should find them for $150 - $250, plus $75 for a mount. I like the Wilson Combat mount, but the Nikon 223 mount looks good too. Illuminated reticle will put you into the $400 and up range.

chadio
March 30, 2013, 03:14 AM
Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4X20

made in U.S.A.
sight picture is big and bright
last time I checked, they were selling for $279