PDA

View Full Version : buying my first rifle

Ric A
December 25, 2010, 04:58 AM
I'm very serious about this buy. I am almost concrete on buying a remington 700
Any other suggestions ? Money is a factor only have about 7 hundred to spend.

45lcshooter
December 25, 2010, 05:18 AM
If you never shot a rifle before, I would start off with a 22. Its cheap ammo, help reduce the flinch factor, and your not blasting you ears off.

If you have shot before and do it often, think about what you will be shooting. If you hunting deer then you want a mid range cartridge. Around here in PA guys love 270 30-06 and 300Win Mag for deer. I know in other parts of the USA there are guys they will only use a 22-250 for deer and a 270 for groundhogs.

if your looking to start a collection with a rifle, go with a decent shotgun and a 22 to start out with. then work you way up to a rifle.

There are plently of people on this fourm that can help steer you in the direction that you choose.

Hope this helps a little.

Jim243
December 25, 2010, 05:32 AM
Personally, I think you are paying for the name with a Remington and the old quality is just not there anymore. Save your money and get a Savage Axis (Edge) in .308. These are excelent rifles, just not expensive.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/featured/

Jim

ADIDAS69
December 25, 2010, 06:18 AM
Get yourself a nice 22LR, CZ 452 is a great choice. The heavy barrel Whinchester Wild Cat is also very nice for the price. They are very light weight with almost no recoil. That means that if you have serious trigger or breathing issues you can get them under control before wasting boat loads of money on expensive ass ammo.

if you really want big noise i would go with the REM. 700 in .308 SPS with a Bushnell 4200 elite with a mil-dot reticule, and your choice of 3"-6" bi-pod. I have put thousands of rounds through mine and couldn't be happier. 600-800 yard shots right where i tell them to go.

Take care of your arms and be consistent and for the most part no matter what you buy you will experience success; out to about 400 yards beyond that you gotta spend some serious coin. Don't buy a mini 14, you can buy one but it would void the previous statement.

pabuckslayer08
December 25, 2010, 06:24 AM
If money is tight one rifle may be all you can get. For the money get a 700 sps in caliber of choice, 30-06 ammo is as cheap as it comes for Remington Core Lokt. Then top it with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40. This would run you around 600 then get some ammo and your ready to role. If you get the BDC prostaff scope its another 40 bucks but worth it if you want to try some long shots. You sight it for 100 and then go to Nikons Spot On software and it tells you where you will hit with each dot. Its very close also, close enough for hunting that is. Its supposed to be good to 500 yards but im 3 inches low at that range and I have the same scope just a CDL 700

4runnerman
December 25, 2010, 09:52 AM
(Personally, I think you are paying for the name with a Remington and the old quality is just not there anymore. Save your money and get a Savage Axis (Edge) in .308. These are excelent rifles, just not expensive)

Plus one there. Rem's quality has not stayed on course these days. Savage on the other hand,Not as pretty to look at ,but for accuracy you can't beat them.

Is the rifle going to be for hunting or just target shooting?. A 22 yes as stated is the way to start,but now you are looking at buying 2 guns and the budget might now allow that. I guess to me the recoil has never really mattered that much, but alot would depend on how much you plan to shoot it too.

m&p45acp10+1
December 25, 2010, 10:06 AM
I have a Savage Model 12 LRV in .223 Rem that was just a bit over $700 without the scope, rings or base. It has the AccuTrigger which is just awsome. I would recomend .223 Rem if you want to have something that is center fire, and still affordable to shoot a whole lot. If you plan on later using it for hunting deer sized game I would recomend a .243, or .308.
If it is just a range toy, and you do not mind it being .22 lr a Ruger 10-22 can be had for in the $200 price range. There are tons of accesories that can purchased for it also. With ammo costing from $15 for 550 rounds to the more expensive premium match ammo it is still affordable to shoot the crap out of it.

4runnerman
December 25, 2010, 11:13 AM
Plus one on the 223 and Savage. I load for about .18 cents a shot.Extreamly accurate. I have the 12 FVSS with some custom work done to it,and all i can tell you is Savage all the way.

Picher
December 25, 2010, 12:15 PM
Buy a Savage, so you can continue to look forward to buying a Remington. :rolleyes:

Sorry, just had to say that. Of course buy a Remington. If you don't have quite enough money, save a bit more if that's what you really want.

miykael
December 25, 2010, 12:28 PM
What's your intended purpose? Hunting or target or both?