PDA

View Full Version : A little help here, please?!?

Bruce in West Oz
May 3, 1999, 02:44 AM
I know there are views for and against answering TV polls etc., but here in Oz things are slightly different.

The Australian Sixty Minutes ran the US segment on the Columbine shootings last night. Today, they have a poll on their website seeking public comment as to the cause of incidents such as that at Littleton.

I'm afraid the results are *heavily* anti-gun, with access to guns carrying by far the major votes.

This will be trumpeted nationwide unless we can redress the balance.

Perhaps some of you kind people might like to help out?

The URL is: http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/news/23081.asp

The site won't be there long -- and it'll be taken down even faster if the anti-gun votes start falling.

Bruce

cornered rat
May 3, 1999, 06:24 AM
Funny...I picked poor parenting (since they lack "mental ilness") and it is still at 0%, with easy guns at 66%. Either they are cooking the numbers or ?

Seems we are wasting breath on these polls. I respolve to spend my time on the offensive.

------------------
Cornered Rat
ddb.com/RKBA (http://ddb.com/RKBA) Updated March 20
"Disarm, then past the barbed wire, into the oven and out of the smoke-stack..."

HS
May 3, 1999, 06:47 AM
Voted & "posted" the poll on 5 other sites !

Please vote as Gun Boards & Posters are few & far between here !

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

Bruce from West Oz
May 3, 1999, 08:21 AM
Cornered Rat:

Hmmmm -- I just checked:

Now says 21% for parenting and 64% for guns.

Your comment wouldn't be the first time we've heard rumours (and I stress that's all they are) that "Sixty Minutes" doctors the figures.

Still need more help, guys.

Bruce

HS:
Thanks heaps, mate -- I've done the same.

freefinkelmann
May 3, 1999, 08:51 AM
Just as we thought. It's rigged ...YOU CAN POST MORE THAN ONCE. Go help the cause and vote as much as you can. Also I got the anti-gun percent down 2%.

Fight fire with fire.

------------------
lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate

[This message has been edited by freefinkelmann (edited May 03, 1999).]

fal308
May 3, 1999, 09:19 AM
Anti-gun down to 58%
I could only vote once. Only showed results when I went off and back on the site.

freefinkelmann
May 3, 1999, 09:23 AM
Must be ccause of my IP ....i'll keep voting...it seems i'm the only one voting right now.

------------------

freefinkelmann
May 3, 1999, 10:26 AM
Bruce,
It took me about 700 votes but we are winning now. Even if it gets discredited at least it the lies that guns are the cause won't be reported so we win both ways.

------------------

rabbit assassin
May 3, 1999, 11:13 AM
I could only vote once too seems like it must be the IP.

------------------
Drop by and visit at www.gun-center.com (http://www.gun-center.com)

freefinkelmann
May 3, 1999, 12:55 PM
Well I got about 2000 votes in and I slipped and locked myself out. Guns are at 28%. Time for me to go burn some powder and get off the puter.

As the public school taught me....

Just say NO!!..to gun control.

------------------

John Hunter
May 3, 1999, 03:24 PM
Bruce,

I just voted and the current stats are:

Violent movies/games 4%

The Internet 0%

Poor parenting 62%

Easy access to guns 25%

Violent society 9%

4282 total votes.

Looks like we are making a point! Wonder what they will say now?

------------------
John - NRA - Lifer

DonL
May 3, 1999, 04:21 PM
Frefinklemann,
you had some help there, pal. I spent about an hour hitting "Submit" and "Back" over and over again, and every time the results loaded, there were anywhere from 4-6 more votes on it, so I knew I wasn't the only one. :D I don't know how many votes I actually made, but we have a s-l-o-w T1 line here (heavy traffic and bandwidth), so I kept on plugging along until I had to get back to things. What a riot! Take that, you RKBA pukes.

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arms reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

walkin' man
May 3, 1999, 05:32 PM
I can personally attest to the fact that "Freefinklemann" did in fact vote continually for nearly 6 hours. It was quite a sight to behold. 2000 votes would not be stretch.

VOTE EARLY, VOTE OFTEN

------------------
I like guns!

[This message has been edited by walkin' man (edited May 03, 1999).]

Bruce in West Oz
May 3, 1999, 07:36 PM
Oh, wow!!! I just got into the office, cranked up the computer -- you guys have blown me away!!

I can't believe the result. Aussie shooters owe you all a huge thank you -- and mine comes from the bottom of my heart. We get a bit lonely down here ;)

If ever any of you blokes come to West Oz, the drinks are on me (well, for a while anyway ;)) I don't want to single anyone out of what was a group effort, but I must say thank you especially to freefinklemann and DonL -- outstanding!

I'll keep a watch on 60 Minutes -- just to make sure -- bet we don't hear any more about it.

Bruce

Grayfox
May 3, 1999, 07:39 PM
I put in my vote..or 10...or20 :D

Poor parenting 65%

Easy access to guns 22%

Interestingly the internet stands at 0%.

fubsy
May 4, 1999, 12:27 AM
Wasnt 60 minutes the show that staged that car blowing up?....the one were they had to set it off with a rockett to try an make there point that the car was unsafe, ....fubsy.

HS
May 4, 1999, 06:37 AM
Yes, a BIG thanks to freefinkleman & everyone else who participated !

We all owe you a huge debt that we could never repay.

We'll reciprocate on your next poll - ok !

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

freefinkelmann
May 4, 1999, 11:18 AM
DonL,
Thanks for the help. What a blast.

HS and Bruce,
No thanks needed, just trying to help the cause.

When they come for your guns, be nice and make sure they take their Minerals (copper,iron and lead).

------------------

rabbit assassin
May 4, 1999, 12:25 PM
I worked out how to vote multiple times. Just hit your back button straight after you vote and keep doing that. Although if you go to another site and try and come back it wont let you vote again.

------------------

freefinkelmann
May 4, 1999, 12:57 PM
To all, didn't know that it was still going today. If you get locked out, just leave the site, dump your cookies from it and you can vote more. Looks like it going good.

------------------

Gwinnydapooh
May 4, 1999, 04:27 PM
Fubsy, I think you're thinking of 20/20 (?) when they did their "expose" on exploding GMC pickup trucks. That was awhile back and everyone seems to have forgotten, but some of us remember and for every time they got caught . . . .

None of the above should be taken to mean I don't think 60 Minutes slants the news. I think just about every medium slants the news. I just don't have any proof in 60 Minutes' case.

Bill F
May 4, 1999, 09:48 PM
Gwinnydapooh,

Actually, I think it was Dateline NBC, if I'm not mistaken.

[This message has been edited by Bill F (edited May 04, 1999).]

DC
May 4, 1999, 10:13 PM
60 Minutes was the one that got burned on the fake drug smuggling story from some Euro scam artist.

NBC staged the Chevy pickup blowing up and ABC did the fake tainted meat from grocery stores.

And,in the interest of not singling out networks, as we all know, CNN did the Iraqi baby milk factory and the Vietnam Sarin gas stories....and Arnett is finally looking for a job!!!!

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Gwinnydapooh
May 4, 1999, 10:16 PM
Uhh--that's what I meant. Forget all that other stuff. That's the ticket.

DonL
May 5, 1999, 09:13 AM
freefinkelmann, it certainly was a blast, but I humbly bow to your superior dedication. :) I had my cookies disabled, so it was pretty easy. I work in a plastics testing lab, and had some materials in a testing process that lasts about an hour or so, so I took the time to contructively click back and forth. Bring on the next poll!

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arms reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

Bruce in West Oz
May 5, 1999, 08:49 PM
Results as at 9.45 a.m. Western (Australian) Standard Time, Thursday, 6 May:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre>What’s more to blame for senseless murders like the one at Columbine?
Violent movies/games 7%
The Internet 2%
Poor parenting 60%
Easy access to guns 23%
Violent society 8%

8518 total votes.[/code]

N8
May 5, 1999, 08:59 PM
I was only able to vote a 'few' times, due to my slow connect at home.. but I got my 2cents in.

"Studies have shown that almost 50% of all americans are above average!"
Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics...

Bruce in West Oz
May 7, 1999, 01:28 AM
Results as at 2.30 p.m. WST:

-----------------------------------------
What’s more to blame for senseless murders like the one at Columbine?Violent movies/games 5%
The Internet 2%
Poor parenting 55%
Easy access to guns 32%
Violent society 6%

23454 total votes.

--------------------------------------------
Compare that with my posting only just over 24 hours ago!! Something's rotten in the state of Denmark! Or perhaps the antis have found the site, too.

I'm posting these results so if there's any jiggery-pokery by 60 Minutes, I'll at least have something to refer to.

Bruce

Bulldog
May 7, 1999, 03:24 AM
SHAME on you! I can't believe you people would resort to such dirty, low-down tricks!

(BTW: Just put in 300+ votes :D--shifted the numbers by 1%---31% Guns and 56% Poor Parenting---23817 votes :D :D :D)

[This message has been edited by Bulldog (edited May 07, 1999).]

Bulldog
May 7, 1999, 05:16 AM
Aye, Caramba! We're slipping again--just put in another 400-500, and guns still went up to 33%! Farking Bastages!

rabbit assassin
May 7, 1999, 10:46 AM
Well I think it's fixed now :-) I always though violent society was to blame as well.

Mal H
May 7, 1999, 11:49 AM
I can't wait to see the usual parenthetical error note for this poll:

(Margin of error +- 76.3%) :)

Bill F
May 7, 1999, 10:27 PM
Where is freefinkelmann when you need him?

Bulldog
May 8, 1999, 02:45 AM
4-5 vote per second--just hold down ESC and keep clicking the submit button. Just put in about 2000 in the last 15 minutes. :D

Bulldog
May 8, 1999, 03:37 AM
OK Fellas,

After more than 10,000 votes, a numb trigger finger, and a worn-out mouse, the results as of 0338 CDT are as follows:

Violent Movies/Games: 3%
Internet: 1%
Poor Parenting: 64%
Easy Access to Guns: 14%
Violent Society: 19%

Total Votes: 60,087

I began before 50,000 and finished at 60,087. :D

Bruce, do y'all have Shiner Bock in West Oz? ;)

[This message has been edited by Bulldog (edited May 08, 1999).]

freefinkelmann
May 8, 1999, 06:14 AM
Bill,
I've been there everyday bringing it back down, but the4 anti's keep pumping it back at night. Thanks to Rabbit Assasin and another warrior we pumped in 20000 yesterday. It's getting enough votes in so it should be safe now.
I'm watching this to the end.

rabbit assassin
May 8, 1999, 09:19 AM
How about a hand getting violent games and videos into 3rd postion and guns down to fourth, Ive brought it up to 8% and guns is on 12%.

freefinkelmann
May 8, 1999, 10:07 AM
Got busy and had to do some work, coming to help....

------------------

freefinkelmann
May 8, 1999, 11:19 AM
R A,
Guns in Fourth at 11%, thanks for the help yesterday. I'll be glad when this is over so I can back to other things and give my finger a rest.

------------------

rabbit assassin
May 8, 1999, 11:21 AM
Great, now lets move over to internet and put guns in last place. :)
Getting lonely over at my site. :(

------------------

freefinkelmann
May 8, 1999, 12:33 PM
All tied up, time for me to take off for the day. Hope that holds till tomarrow.

------------------

rabbit assassin
May 8, 1999, 12:42 PM
Thanks I think Im done for a while too. It won't be easy for the antis to get back to 30% now since they are currently last and on 10%. This must have to be the most inaccurate poll ever :)

------------------

Bill F
May 8, 1999, 02:38 PM
Great job freefinkelmann and everyone else.
I did a few hundred last night, but I will do more today.

May 8, 1999, 02:47 PM
What a great idea. I just tossed in a few hundred myself. Thanks for the opportunity to help.

Jeff Thomas
May 8, 1999, 03:40 PM
You guys are too much. This war is indeed fought on many fronts. ;) ROTFALMAO

Bruce in West Oz
May 9, 1999, 07:41 PM
OK, watched 60 Minutes last night with bated breath -- as I predicted, zilch. Not one mention of the Web poll. They had excerpts from two letters sent in by viewers.

The first said (and this is almost a quote):
"Wake up America. Videos don't kill people. Guns kill people. This was nothing but a propaganda piece for the all-powerful National Rifle Association of America."

The second was to the effect that we should all take our kids out and play soccer with them rather than letting them play video games.

Fellas, I can't say thank you enough. The vote count just before the show stood at 80 000 votes!! "Easy access to guns" was in last place, where it belongs.

I feel very guilty about all the work you did -- but I do believe we "won" this round. If it had been any other way, it would have been broadcast loud and long over national TV.

Bulldog: If Shiner Bock is beer ;), you can bet we sell it somewhere here! If not, the local Swan and Emu (yes, that's their names) are not bad drops. And after the first six-pack, it don't matter no more nohow ;)

Thanks again, guys -- I'm now making it a habit to vote in all your polls!

Bruce