PDA

View Full Version : Police officer shot in road rage incident

Nortonics
June 8, 2007, 04:01 PM
This one sounds like it's gonna' be an interesting CCW case. A lot of details missing yet, but personally if I saw some schmuck through my RVM approaching my car with a weapon drawn they'd probably be met with the same response, regardless of whether road rage was involved:

[link no longer valid]

Undercover Robbinsdale officer wounded in altercation

An undercover Robbinsdale Police Officer is out of the hospital after investigators say a 'Road Rage' supsect shot him.

Martin Scott Treptow, 35, was arrested after the shooing, which took place near Highway 10 and Foley Blvd. Thursday in Coon Rapids. He was released Friday morning pending further investigation.

Bullets hit the officer in both of his legs and grazed his arm.

Scott's family members told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS Friday morning that he was just protecting his family when he fired.

"When the gentleman approached the truck he did not identify himself as a police officer, he had his weapon drawn when he was approaching the car," said Treptow's mother-in-law Mary Villalovosrowan. "And my son-in-law and my daughter were so scared..."

She said she's thankful her year-old grandson is still alive after the incident.

"There was a lot of yelling and stuff," Villalovosrown said. "My daughter, she thought honestly that her and the kids were going to die."

The Robbinsdale officer has not been named publicly because he works undercover.

Coon Rapids Police said the officer's account is very different, but would not release further details. Police are still interviewing witnesses to determine exactly what happened.

joab
June 8, 2007, 04:06 PM
oon Rapids Police said the officer's account is very different, but would not release further details.Seems like the PD knows the value of STFU

Without knowing the details it would be very hard to make another comment on the story

Nortonics
June 8, 2007, 04:52 PM
Few more details:

Anoka County authorities have released without charges a man suspected of shooting and wounding an undercover Robbinsdale police officer.

The Anoka County attorney's office said 35-year-old Martin Treptow was released after Thursday's incident in Coon Rapids, but the investigation was ongoing.

The shooting reportedly followed a traffic dispute. The 27-year-old officer was treated and released at a Minneapolis hospital for wounds to his legs and arm.

The family of the man told local media the officer was the aggressor. They claim the officer didn't identify himself, and aimed his weapon at the suspect's wife.

The man's two children were also in the vehicle at the time. He had a permit to carry a weapon.

joab
June 8, 2007, 05:06 PM
Anoka County authorities have released without charges a man suspected of shooting and wounding an undercover Robbinsdale police officer.To me that speaks volumes

There was a case a few years ago,I can't remember where, with the same basic deatils

A cop was involved in a traffic accident
He pulled and gun and the other party killed him with a baseball bat

The courts ruled it justifiable homicide because the officer was not acting as an officer at the time

Northern Sod Breaker
June 8, 2007, 06:53 PM
Given the location I'm not at all surprised....

Hardtarget
June 8, 2007, 08:54 PM
After reading this I'm wondering about installing recording equipment in my vehicles. At least there would be something besides a "I said they said" when the investigating started.

Maybe a moot point though. I've only heard of three events that were even close to this...ever.

Mark.

Groundhog
June 8, 2007, 10:32 PM
+1 on the thoughts about recording equipment. I've had the same. I'd be curious to know how much it costs as that would determine whether or not it's worth it.

Regarding the 'incident'. I would say this is a pretty good lesson on how NOT to de-escalate a situation! :rolleyes:

applesanity
June 8, 2007, 10:54 PM
but what if the recording equipment records something incriminating? I'm not saying that you've done anything wrong, just that without context, it might make you look real bad, which can then be supeonaed, yes?

"can't we all just get along?" - Rodney King, day 3 of the L.A. Riots

Groundhog
June 8, 2007, 11:07 PM
It would work both ways. I suppose you could rig some sort of tape or disk destruct thing but then you'd get it for tampering with evidence or obstruction of justice. I'd be inclined to think it would save my bacon a lot more often that it would incriminate it. But I guess you never know.

Maser
June 9, 2007, 12:40 AM
Guess I'm going to have to start showing more respect to a certain friend of mine who feels the need to bring a video camera EVERYWHERE and record EVERYTHING. :rolleyes:

As far as the incident goes, it seems to me the undercover cop was a typical jack booted thug. I pretty much would of responded that same way as the shooter did in a case like this where my family was there and I felt the cop was a threat. Hope the cop learned from his mistake and now will properly identify himself in the future.

Scott Conklin
June 9, 2007, 10:25 AM
Well, the fact they released with no charges does pretty well tell us most of what we need to know. Doesn't mean they might not try to charge him later but I'll bet that, instead, the whole incident disappears.

As for recording equipment, I've thought of it before, too. I would guess it would never be needed and would never justify the effort but, if it were needed just once... But I wouldn't worry about "incrimination" because unless I want to use it nobody is going to know it's there, nor hear anything I didn't want heard(unless of course the car were impounded at which point we have a whole new can-o-worms anyway).

Manedwolf
June 9, 2007, 10:41 AM
Actually...I'd need to find the article, but not long ago, someone had recording equipment set up in their home, and recorded a police officer who visited being rude and abusive.

THEY, the homeowner, were charged with a felony for unauthorized surveillance and recording without permission.

Moral: If you're not a cop, don't bother, you'll just get screwed further in some insane leap of illogic. They protect their own.

June 9, 2007, 12:37 PM
Seems like the more recent articles have a bit more information.

"Treptow reached past his wife in the passenger seat and fired more than one shot into the police officer's vehicle, Snell said. Despite the Treptow family's comments, investigators are not clear on whether the police officer pulled his gun. He did not fire his weapon, Snell said.

The officer got out of his vehicle and fell to the shoulder of the road. His car rolled backward across 99th Avenue and came to rest behind a pizza restaurant. The officer was treated at Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis and released."

Quote found here- http://www.twincities.com/ci_6088187?source=most_viewed

And another one: http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_6096526

"The other gentleman pulled the weapon on myself and my family," he told reporters. "We're about 3 feet away from each other, and he's pointing the gun at my wife. ... I had to protect my family."

"With his two children in the back and his wife in the passenger seat of their SUV, Treptow drew his gun, reached across the lap of his wife, Rebecca, and fired into the undercover officer's car, striking him in each leg and in one arm, he said."

I see a slight contradict between those statements and the one in the post that started this thread-

Scott's family members told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS Friday morning that he was just protecting his family when he fired.

"When the gentleman approached the truck he did not identify himself as a police officer, he had his weapon drawn when he was approaching the car," said Treptow's mother-in-law Mary Villalovosrowan. "And my son-in-law and my daughter were so scared..."

I’m looking at it and it appears the officer was shot while he was in his car. How can someone approach another car with a weapon if they are in their car?

But, it’s just another reason why we should wait until all of the facts are known before we pass judgment.

JR47
June 9, 2007, 02:09 PM
Let's keep waiting. It's also possible that the actual quote meant that he was firing in the direction of the car, and was MSM-spun to add more "drama". :barf:

Jason_G
June 9, 2007, 03:38 PM
It's also possible that the actual quote meant that he was firing in the direction of the car, and was MSM-spun to add more "drama".
Always possible, but it makes me wonder why they would release the guy?

An aside:
We had a road rage incident a few weeks ago here. A guy tried to run the car in front of him off the road because he took off too slow for his liking when a traffic light turned green. He started cussing at the guy he was trying run off and threatening him. Next thing he knew, he was cussing at the business end of a G17. Turned out the guy that took off too slow was the sheriff. :D The guy got arrested and I wish I could remember all the charges he's facing right now. Sucks to be him.
People are just nuts these days.

Jason

Scott Conklin
June 9, 2007, 04:04 PM
Manedwolf, I'd like to see a link for that. I can't see how anyone could be charged for recording in their own home anymore than I or any other business can be charged for recording in and around said business. Well, ok...I can't see how such charges could possibly be made to stick anyway. :confused:

FirstFreedom
June 9, 2007, 05:20 PM
*ABSOLUTELY* it is perfectly legal to record anything you please in your home or car.

As for the story, a lot of stuff doesn't make any sense. The officer was supposedly tailgating, yet it was the other guy who pulled up behind the officer after the officer pulled to the shoulder in another version. The officer was in his car, or got out of his car. He pulled a gun, or didn't pull a gun. Many contradictions. Someone's likely fibbing or clamming up. Who knows? The fact that the guy was released seems to support his family's version.

Wildalaska
June 9, 2007, 05:23 PM
The fact that the guy was released seems to support his family's version.

No the fact that hes released means you have an intelligent DA who isnt going to charge until all the fac ts are in.

WildillstaysilentontherestAlaska

Groundhog
June 9, 2007, 09:53 PM
Manedwolf, I'd like to see a link for that. I can't see how anyone could be charged for recording in their own home anymore than I or any other business can be charged for recording in and around said business. Well, ok...I can't see how such charges could possibly be made to stick anyway.

It's true. I saw the same thing. The cops basically tried to get the family on some kind of felony wiretap charges. The cop was being abusive, they caught it on tape and though, surely they'll discipline him, then they found themselves up on charges.

Here's the link http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060805/NEWS01/108050086

Here's a couple more interesting tidbits I found while looking for this.

This (http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070507/FOSTERS01/105070187/-1/NEWS05) and this (http://www.podcastpickle.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5069&pid=24237&mode=threaded&start=).

Moral of the story appears to be that you better know the law and not record them unless they are aware of it. Sounds like they have another "I get to arrest you" free card there!

tony pasley
June 9, 2007, 11:23 PM
I have a dash cam set up that I use all the time. First on the public roads there is no expectation of privacy. Second wiretap is for audio recording. Third using the proper warning stickers tells everyone that audio and video recording is going on and if some one doesn't read it is thier fault. The cameras in my vechiles cost 274.00 the recording device 465.00, I know to some that sound costly. To date they have provide proof that 2 accidents were the other drivers fault and got a not guilty for a speeding ticket. No fines, no points on license, no insurance points or increase cost, settlements were quick, I consider it paid for already.

Bob F.
June 10, 2007, 08:54 AM
Kind of OT but "a picture's worth a thousand words." Always kept a cheapie camera in the car or on me. Happened on o wreck involving a friend; shot a couple picks. Other guy's ins paid up after seeing copies.

Rolled on a wreck call one night: drunk had hit a house. Ins said couldn't possibly have done that much damage. Paid up after seeing pics.

Keep a camera handy, even cell phone cam.

Bob

WeedWacker
June 10, 2007, 10:12 AM
My $0.02 on the recording equipment. Set up a micro camera on the passenger side. Set it to watch your face and the window. Not only will it catch a cop or some other bad incident but if your car is stolen it will help ID the perp if you get the car back. Maybe have OnStar set somthing up like a camera that can be activated by owners request and only owners request. That way you could also check in on your kids if they have your car.

KyJim
June 10, 2007, 12:30 PM
In some states it is lawful for one party to consent to audio and/or video recording. In other states, both parties must consent. Remember there was a snit in Maryland when one of the witnesses had taped Monica Lewinsky and the feds were going to use it. The witness was charged or threatened to be charged by Maryland state authorities.

Gbro
October 6, 2008, 09:01 AM
This is the latest Information I can find on this.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S432160.shtml?cat=1

Another article on this.
http://abcnewspapers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2592&Itemid=28

From, http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6499&highlight=treptow

According to the Courts website (http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/default.aspx), the trial date was pushed to 1/12/2009 due to the unavailability of the prosecutor and the defense attorney.

And
So what's the current status of the 'officer' and of the citizen? It would be really nice to have a quick synopsis from someone familiar with the case.
The officer is back at work, and the citizen is on the verge of recreating Ned Beatty's role in the movie Deliverance.

B.N.Real
October 6, 2008, 11:11 PM
"jack booted thug."

"they protect their own."

Cops are not machines,they are just like you and me.

They do screw up sometimes.

And they are under incredible pressure at all times.

But alot of times they get the drunk off the street that would have killed your daughter coming home from school or the guy that would have broken into your home or the guy that would have robbed you of your wallet before he ever got to you.

Don't paint all police officers with the actions of one messed up off duty cop.

Jermtheory
October 6, 2008, 11:58 PM
there are plenty of hero cops out there...whether getting a drunk off the street or serving a felony warrant.

its a tough and often thankless job im sure.

but the abusive/dangerous arent the rarity many would have us believe either.

both types of kneejerk reactions do a disservice(although one or the other may be more common in any given venure).

buddycraigg
October 7, 2008, 12:29 AM
god,
i would hate to shoot anyone.
let alone a cop.

i'll have to keep an eye on the story.

ronc0011
October 7, 2008, 08:35 AM
So if I understand this correctly, if you have video surveillance equipment setup in your house such as IP cameras and you get the babysitter giving the 2 year old Jack Daniels so he will shut up and go to sleep, or you catch the burglar lifting the silverware, you will be charged with a crime when you introduce it in court.

So why isn’t Walmart or any other store charged. I don’t think I have ever seen any signs saying I was being watched and recorded. Also I know that I have setup cameras for employers and no notice was ever given to employees.

Something doesn’t sound right about this.

Don H
October 7, 2008, 12:02 PM
So if I understand this correctly, if you have video surveillance equipment setup in your house such as IP cameras and you get the babysitter giving the 2 year old Jack Daniels so he will shut up and go to sleep, or you catch the burglar lifting the silverware, you will be charged with a crime when you introduce it in court.

Wouldn't that depend on what the laws are in that particular state? That certainly wouldn't be the case here if one were to introduce video evidence.

jakeswensonmt
October 7, 2008, 01:08 PM
Act like a thug, get shot like a thug. If he was in uniform and in a marked cruiser, then perhaps Mr Beard's actions would have been within appropriate behavior, but in plainclothes he's just another carjacker. Who amongst us wouldn't have blasted him when our family was in danger? Mr Beard owes Mr Treptow a hearty "thank you" for not administering a well-earned coup de grace.

The fact that the charges against Mr Beard have been dropped and the charges against Mr Treptow have not, considering that Mr Beard was the aggressor, inclines me to think that the DA is displaying anti-civilian bias.

rampage841512
October 7, 2008, 01:34 PM

So why isn’t Walmart or any other store charged. I don’t think I have ever seen any signs saying I was being watched and recorded. Also I know that I have setup cameras for employers and no notice was ever given to employees.

Something doesn’t sound right about this.

Generally it's been my understanding that a person can be recorded without their knowledge or consent as long as they don't have an expectation of privacy. You don't have that in someone's home unless you are using a bathroom, and the same goes with other private property. You have that expectation in your home (an apartment, for instance) even if you are not the actual property owner.

As for the OP, I think that someone is obviously lying. I couldn't say whether it's the LEO or the man who shot him. No matter what happened without more than he said, she said as evidence there is really no case to make against the shooter unless he instigated some kind of road rage incident. And again, that is all he said, she said, and relatively worthless.

BillCoe
October 7, 2008, 02:13 PM
I suspect that all the yammering on the internet won't change an iota of the facts in the case. So the truth is, no one not there knows who is a jack booted thug or not. It appears that the true facts will be found out and the system will grind them down.....like it's suppose to do when it works correctly.

So I'm not speculating, this is getting investigated. Glad that no one died.

Gbro
October 7, 2008, 03:49 PM
jakeswensonmt posted,

Mr Beard owes Mr Treptow a hearty "thank you" for not administering a well-earned coup de grace.

That statement is deplorable, The only thing deadly force is used for is to "STOP" a threat! anything else and you will , Well look at Mr. Harold Fish. I am not saying he "coup de grace'ed the other party, but he was judged to have made a mistake.
http://www.haroldfishdefense.org/

divemedic
May 12, 2009, 05:04 PM
Updates?

Nortonics
May 12, 2009, 06:35 PM
Can't tell ya what's happened since this story below, whether the cop was convicted or not, but he was indicted - been close to a couple years ago now...

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/12666302.html

By JIM ADAMS, Star Tribune
Last update: December 21, 2007 - 12:05 AM

Cop indicted in road-rage incident during which other driver shot him in leg

A Robbinsdale police officer was indicted for allegedly making terroristic threats during a confrontation in which the other driver shot him in the leg.

After being indicted Thursday for allegedly making terroristic threats during a road-rage incident last summer in Coon Rapids, a Robbinsdale police officer gave his side of what happened in the confrontation that left him with a gunshot wound to the leg.

Landen Beard, 27, was indicted in Anoka County District Court for allegedly threatening the other driver, who was charged Wednesday for his role in the confrontation.

"We were completely surprised" by the felony indictment, defense attorney Bill Michael said after the brief court hearing. "The facts as we know them don't warrant any charge."

Beard, an undercover narcotics officer, was immediately placed on paid leave. He declined to comment. He will plead not guilty and demand a jury trial, Michael said.

An Anoka County grand jury decided to indict both drivers involved in the incident after hearing testimony for two days.

On Wednesday, Martin Treptow, 35, was charged with making terroristic threats, as well as two other felonies: drive-by shooting and reckless discharge of a firearm. Treptow, who has a gun permit, said he shot Beard, without knowing he was an officer, to protect his wife and two children who were in his vehicle the afternoon of June 7.

Michael gave Beard's recollection of the incident:

Beard, in plain clothes, had stopped for lunch at his home in Coon Rapids in an unmarked police car. He was returning to work when he passed Treptow in a line of traffic on Woodcrest Drive heading south toward 99th Avenue.

Beard admitted passing illegally on the shoulder. Treptow got upset and tailgated Beard. The two vehicles traveled side-by side for several blocks and were waiting for a light when Treptow shot Beard with a slug that grazed his arm, his leg and then lodged in the other leg, breaking the femur bone.

When Beard saw Treptow's gun, he pulled his gun in self defense but couldn't return fire because Rebecca Treptow was sitting in the front passenger seat, blocking her husband.

Beard didn't identify himself as an officer until the shooting, Michael said. He said he was aware of no evidence supporting the terroristic threats charge, but admitted later he hadn't read police reports that he had just received in court.

Treptow's attorney, Kurt Glaser, who had reviewed police reports, said the account Michael gave was "inconsistent with independent witness statements." Michael said that eyewitness testimony is often unreliable.

Glaser produced copies of statements police took from several witnesses who were in cars or stores near the road-rage confrontation, and who testified before the grand jury last week.

A 19-year-old Anoka woman said she saw the man later identified as Beard driving next to another vehicle and leaning out his window as he repeatedly swore and threatened to kill the other driver, adding, "I don't care about jail."

Several witnesses said they saw Beard getting out of his car next to Treptow's SUV and then heard a shot and saw Beard fall back into his car.

A 50-year-old Blaine woman waiting in traffic behind Beard's maroon Monte Carlo said Beard was waving something that she couldn't identify in his hand as he began getting out. Then she heard a pop from Treptow's SUV and saw Beard fall back into his car, then to the ground. His car rolled into the back of a nearby pizza restaurant.

Glaser said no witness saw either man holding a gun or saw Beard aiming a gun after he was shot, which contradicts what Beard told police.

Treptow, who was a security business manager, has said he fired after Beard pointed a gun at him and his wife. Treptow drove away from the scene and called police minutes later to report the shooting near Foley Boulevard and Hwy. 10. Treptow was booked and released without bail Wednesday.

Beard also was released without bail Thursday and ordered to be booked at the jail within 24 hours. He is on paid administrative leave until the case is resolved, said Robbinsdale Police Chief Wayne Shellum.

"This is a serious charge," Shellum said.

Beard has had no discipline problems or complaints during his four years on the force, the chief said. He described Beard as a steady and reliable officer with good evaluations who "has done a good job for us."

If Beard, or any officer, is convicted of a felony, he would automatically lose his officer's license from the Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training, said executive director Neal Melton.

kirkcdl
May 12, 2009, 07:45 PM
According to the ABCnews link in post #24,as of 5/7/2008,the charges against the officer were dropped,but the civilian is still facing charges...

Jim March
May 12, 2009, 09:03 PM
As to recording:

THEY, the homeowner, were charged with a felony for unauthorized surveillance and recording without permission.

Some states are what we call "one party recording" states, others are "two party". NONE are "no party".

"No party" would mean, say, you visit a police station, leave a "bug" behind, retrieve it later. "No party" present knows there's a recording. That's illegal everywhere, without specific court order. There are exceptions in SOME states inside your own home, for security purposes. And generally, if you're leaving it with a minor, say to watch a babysitter, the minor is the "party" so that's probably OK.

A "one party" recording state means it's legal to record phone or personal conversations as long as one person (the "one party") is present and knows the conversation (or whatever else) is being recorded. Recording a cop anywhere in a one-party state is totally legal.

"Two party" states means EVERYBODY must be informed that a recording is going on. In some cases there's exceptions within your own home.

Among the two-party states, there's some differences in how they treat people recording cop stops. The question gets asked by the courts, "is there an expectation of privacy?" New Hampster is hardcore against people taping cops.

Here's a good starting point guide to which state is which, by category and with some special notes for some states:

http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm

"Recording in public" law USUALLY follows the "telephone rules".

GojuBrian
May 12, 2009, 09:45 PM
Just goes to show, "Control your emotion or i will control you."

Guy passes me on the shoulder. curses, and flips me the bird....so what? Let the moron go and be someone elses problems!! Carrying a firearm gives you a whole new set of responsibilities, you better be able to control your temper, atleast!!! :)

armsmaster270
May 13, 2009, 01:05 PM
As a retired cop I feel if the police can film you with their dashcam you can record them. An officer is held to a higher standard and should have no problem with being recorded in his duties. If he cannot maintain his cool he should not be on the street. JMO

Double Naught Spy
May 13, 2009, 03:04 PM
Charges against the officer were dropped...

http://wcco.com/crime/charges.dropped.road.2.715051.html

divemedic
May 13, 2009, 03:17 PM
Guy passes me on the shoulder. curses, and flips me the bird....so what? Let the moron go and be someone elses problems!! Carrying a firearm gives you a whole new set of responsibilities, you better be able to control your temper, atleast!!!

That isn't quite the way it happened. The LEO was the aggressor here. (http://www.startribune.com/local/west/12666302.html)

Glaser produced copies of statements police took from several witnesses who were in cars or stores near the road-rage confrontation, and who testified before the grand jury last week.

A 19-year-old Anoka woman said she saw the man later identified as Beard driving next to another vehicle and leaning out his window as he repeatedly swore and threatened to kill the other driver, adding, "I don't care about jail."

Several witnesses said they saw Beard getting out of his car next to Treptow's SUV and then heard a shot and saw Beard fall back into his car.

A 50-year-old Blaine woman waiting in traffic behind Beard's maroon Monte Carlo said Beard was waving something that she couldn't identify in his hand as he began getting out. Then she heard a pop from Treptow's SUV and saw Beard fall back into his car, then to the ground. His car rolled into the back of a nearby pizza restaurant.

Glaser said no witness saw either man holding a gun or saw Beard aiming a gun after he was shot, which contradicts what Beard told police.

Treptow, who was a security business manager, has said he fired after Beard pointed a gun at him and his wife. Treptow drove away from the scene and called police minutes later to report the shooting near Foley Boulevard and Hwy. 10. Treptow was booked and released without bail Wednesday.

The evidence was enough that the Grand Jury decided the cop should be indicted, but the DA overrode them and dismissed the charges.