PDA

View Full Version : Mak-90 / Ak-47 Romanian Folding stock

TonyStarks
June 7, 2007, 10:11 AM
First let me say hello to everyone here as this is my first post! I am a member of THR but as most of you know, the THR site is down....again. I have seen a few members from THR on here and decided to join TFL.

I need help with my Mak-90 / AK, it is a chinese stamped receiver (not angle cut) and i am looking for a Romanian Style wire folding stock. I have seen a couple online and was wondering if installation of these stocks can be done by an individual or do they require a gunsmith to modify them.

Any help would be appreciated, if any of you have this setup, please post a picture.

Thank you!

Destructo6
June 7, 2007, 12:02 PM
I had to file the stock on all sides to get it to fit into the back of my MAK90 and, then, only one of the tang screw holes aligned with the Romanian sidefolding stock. Apparently, the Chinese tang screw holes are spaced a little wider than the Romanian pattern.

uzimon
June 7, 2007, 12:38 PM
http://www.riflestocks.com/images04/ms/MS1%20(AKFX_AK).jpg
:D

Manedwolf
June 7, 2007, 01:06 PM
FYI, the Ace metal skeleton stock with pad and folding mechanism is a LOT more comfortable to use than the Romanian wire stock. They're modular, so you can choose the receiver block that fits any milled or stamped AK, tang or not.

Plus you can choose a long or short model for your height. Makes an AK a lot more of a pleasure to use for tall people.

gordy
June 7, 2007, 01:30 PM
i want to do the same thing with the rom wire stock. what would be your US parts?

Johnywinslow
June 7, 2007, 02:36 PM
Ithink the tapco colapsable stock is best AK stock available , looks awesome. too bad the AK doesnt shoot as well as it looks , I sold mine but damn she was a real looker ! If you are an AK guy get the TAPCO !

Manedwolf
June 7, 2007, 03:16 PM
I had the crummy Tapco. It snapped in half at the hinge. The ACE is US-made, and is solidly made metal...real combat-ready stuff.

Gewehr98
June 7, 2007, 05:44 PM
I still have it in a box in the garage somewhere. The alloy they used for the folding/locking block sheared off with just a little pressure. I ended up having to heli-arc additional metal and re-machine where it gave way. Not only that, but it adds considerable length to the rear of the receiver, compared to a true underfolder or even the Romanian/East German sidefolder. I hope for ACE's sake they've improved on their metallurgy and design.

By contrast, the Romanian/East German wire sidefolder is rock-solid, made of STEEL, and has withstood the test of time. Can't say that for the flimsy Tapco abomination or ACE pot-metal toy. :(