PDA

View Full Version : Mauser K98 officionados - need info!

Tikirocker
May 13, 2007, 05:02 AM
I've got my eye on a SWP-45 coded Mauser 98 - I know this was made by Waffenwerke Brunn but I want to know if this is Wartime German issue or post war Czech production? It has a 4 digit S/N 49XX with no lettered prefix ... the stock has bayonet lug but no cleaning rod and no stock disk but the usual sling slot on butt stock. There are runic letter codes on the receiver top also - something like ABD or such. The bolt and receiver have matching S/N's and the bore is superb.

Can anybody help with info regarding German issue or Post war Czech production?

Thanks!

garryc
May 13, 2007, 08:11 AM
http://www.latewar.com/html/swp.htm

at 49xx it sounds like it was german made and russian captured. If it is post ww2 Czech it probably has Czech lion firing proofs and 4 digit serial numbers

Tikirocker
May 13, 2007, 11:24 AM
G'day Gary,

Thanks for chiming in - I have actually been chatting with Mrfarb who's site Latewar is ( That was a Yoda sentence, sorry! ) ;)

Through talking to him and doing further research it seems my receiver is certainly War manufactured left over as it has the Waffenamt in small examples on the receiver - though these are very blurry now due to a possible process of annealing the action by the Israelis - the reason for this is that my action also has a star on it on the left side which mrfarb believes is a Star of David and my rifle stock is classic Israeli configuration ... it's much like the Kreigsmodell but the give away is that it has the finger grooves consistent with Israeli K98's.

All in all it's had a hell of a history and may still have seen service during the 7 day war ... Waffenwerke Brunn built and manufactured in 45 but then assembled post war by the Czech Brno factory and sent off to the Israeli's.

It's nice to work these things out! :)