PDA

View Full Version : Lost a firearm on Vacation

Kennedy124
February 22, 2007, 08:29 PM
Ok, bad move. I know.

If someone turns it in to the police? Will it get trashed if it doesn't make any hits in balistics?(it wont)

Or will they mail it back to me or my FFL?

I think it's in another state to be honest.

Any LEO to help me out with advice?

Kennedy124
February 22, 2007, 08:49 PM
BUMP

Sorry for bumping so quickly. I need to know how to handle this, there is a loose firearm out there and I'm worried. Do I report it? Will I get it back?

Dresden2001
February 22, 2007, 08:59 PM
Report it. Get the SN on record, so that if it is recovered you have a chance of getting it back. Call the local law enforcement agency where you think that it disappeared, explain the circumstances and get a copy of the report for insurance and liability purposes. It's embarrassing, but its not like your neighbors are going to be looking at you funny. . .

Oh ,and if you have a CCW at home, I wouldn't mention that when you report the loss, unless you are asked. That way, you may get to keep your permit, even though you lost your weapon. . .

Good luck.

XLT
February 22, 2007, 09:00 PM
I would report it as lost to the local law enforcement wherever you were. I wouldn't expect to get it back most likely, but at least it would keep you out of hot water if somebody were to use the gun for unlawful purposes.

XLT

Kennedy124
February 22, 2007, 09:10 PM
Why wont I get it back?

I actually traveled by car through a couple of states. It could be in a number of counties in a number of states. I'm just worried about the legal ramifacations.

EDIT: Won't they just trace it from manufacturer to FFL, to me anyways?

shurshot
February 22, 2007, 09:16 PM
I hope you didn't misplace it in NY or NJ, or another anti-gun state. You might/could be charged with a felony, depending upon the state and the local DA. But if you don't report it, the liability if it is used to commit a crime could be horrific. You NEED to see a Lawyer and or contact the NRA, as well as the police covering the region it was stolen in ASAP. I think (double check w/the NRA, I could be mistaken!) there is a federal law that allows you to transport firearms (secured/locked and in the trunk) through all the states, provided the travel is non-stop, straight through and the gun is not in the cabin of your vehicle. This is a tough call to make. I'm guessing that you need to report it to the State highway patrol of the state you suspect it was stolen in "to CYA", just in case it is used in a crime. Good luck!

The Gamemaster
February 22, 2007, 09:18 PM
Although you might have a CCW for the state that you live in.

That does not give you the right to carry it from state to state, loaded in your car.

Some states gets very touchy about people bringing in handguns from other states.

You might just get yourself into a lot of trouble.

Yes you do have to report it stolen / missing.

Yes, you woud hope that if the police recover it that it will be returned to you.

But in some states and also in some municipalities you will be in a lot of trouble - just for having a handgun in your possession....

Next time you will think before you load up Old Betsy for a family vacation...

rantingredneck
February 22, 2007, 09:20 PM
Sorry, not yelling just emphasizing. Given that you don't know really what county you lost it in, I'd start with the state police or SBI in each state that is a possibility. Get the serial number on record as a lost/stolen firearm. That way if it's ever used in a crime you've got a record that you reported it.

Closest I've come to this was when an inline muzzleloader got stolen out of my truck 2 years ago. I reported it immediately to local LE. Never have seen it again........pisses me off everytime I think about it.......:mad:

newerguy
February 22, 2007, 09:49 PM
I don't think you are looking for advice from LEOs in this case. Were you legal in the state or states you may have lost it in? If not, you may get a less than sympathetic response from the police. If it was me, and I wasnn't legally carrying the gun, I'd be talking to my lawyer (a criminal defense lawyer) about any potential problems. I might consider asking a lawer if he could report the fact that his client lost a particular firearm in whatever county it was. A lawyer may or may not do that, the police may or may not accept a report like that from a lawyer, and attorney-client privelege may or may not protect either your identity, or if the police want specifics, your lawyer may get you immunity as a condition of making the report.

If you weren't legal, I wouldn't be worrying about getting it back. I'd be worried about getting arrested. God forbid it's recovered at a crime scene, the police can probably track it to you. If you bought it privately, depending on your state, there won't be a record of your purchase, but they can find the guy who bought it, and that guy is probably going to be able to remember selling it to you. If you bought from an FFL there is a record. If you are from NY, like I am, the State Police already know what handguns everyone in the State has legally.

trooper3385
February 23, 2007, 01:39 AM
I'm a State Trooper in Texas and I'm not sure about other states, but in Texas, the State Police do not take reports on anything stolen or enter items stolen. That is left up to city police or Sheriff's Dept. Other State Police Dept. may be different. Alot of state are in a compact agreement, meaning that a CCW from one state is recognized in another state, epecially surrounding states. MOST states don't require you to have a CCW to be transporting a firearm if your traveling though. I think the last thing you would want to do is not report it stolen. If you have no idea what so ever to where it could have been stolen, contact your local PD or SO and see if they will at least enter it stolen. Most likely they will to atleast get it entered into the computer. If you don't have the gun entered into the data base as stolen, you for sure will never get the gun back and by some chance the gun is ever used in a crime, you will have a little more trouble explaining how your gun got into the hands of some thug and it was never reported stolen. I don't know how many times I've search some thugs vehicle and found a gun stashed that I knew was stolen, but it was never reported. Not a very good feeling when you have to give the gun back to some crook because the gun wasn't reported, knowng theres a chance that the gun could be used in a crime later on and could have been taken off the streets. Now as far as getting the gun back if it is recovered. I can only tell you how it is done in Texas. It could be different in your state. Anytime a stolen gun is recovered, it has to be released to the owner in person by a judge. The gun is not mailed back or sent to an FFL. There has to be a property hearing and the judge has to release it to you. Now its up to the judge if he will let someone else represent you and release it to that person with your written permission. Like I said, I think the worst thing you could do is not report it. Hope this helps a little.

Kennedy124
February 23, 2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks trooper, you were most helpfull.

I DID report it to each and every county I traveled though, and so far no legal ramifacations.

I told them it had to have been lost in a resturaunt bathroom or somewhere extremely public, as I don't normally travel around kids playgrounds, highschools, or in trash cans hiding things.

But if a cop picks it up, finds out it wasn't used in any crimes, what are the odds of him actually following through with getting it back to me? Or setting a porperty hearing? Will they even call me? From what I hear if the gun isn't criminal-tied, they just chuck it into a room and leave it there forever :mad:

NCHornet
February 23, 2007, 08:14 AM
I just have to ask "HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?" I mean we aren't talking about a set of keys here, were talking about a firearm!! Carrying a weapon legally comes with a huge responsibility as does gun ownership period. You are responsible for that firearm at all times, if a kid finds your weapon and accidently kills his little brother you have to explain how this boy came to posses your firearm. Not a place I want to be in. Don't mean to preach but I have to ask, did you have the gun in a proper holster made for the weapon? Where was it being carried on you? May I suggest in the future you use a holster with a thumb break or a retention holster like the Bianchi Carry Loc Holster. I sure hope and pray this works out for you and that your firearm finds it in the hands of a responsible party. I also suggest you not carry again without the proper holster. The anti gunners will use a story like this to come against all of us who carry responsible everyday.

lockedcj7
February 23, 2007, 08:22 AM
Not trying to bust your chops here but how does that happen?

When I travel, I'm constantly bump-checking the position of my FA to make sure it hasn't shifted position, much less fallen out.

I can imagine it disappearing from a hotel room or vehicle and not realizing it for a day or two.

Kennedy124
February 23, 2007, 09:08 AM
I don't know how it happend, no drugs or alchohol involved though. I hope I get informed if it's found.

Blackwater OPS
February 23, 2007, 09:24 AM
I don't understand how you could lose a firearm, and have no idea how it happened, or even what state you were in.:confused:

joab
February 23, 2007, 09:43 AM
Don't listen to the horror stories all is not doom and gloom.

You have reported it lost or stolen, in some states that is not even mandated, so if it turns up at a crime scene you have distanced yourself from it.

If you provided the serial number in the report a cop is not going to just keep it.

I know in Orange county Florida you would get your gun back, even if it was turned in at one of the gun turn in programs.

By the way what states were you traveling through

Kennedy124
February 23, 2007, 10:50 AM
Midwest to SoCal.

SOSARMS
February 23, 2007, 12:49 PM
Report it as well as any supporting information that you have about location, s/n ....anything. Had several stolen in a B & E 3 years ago.....never know if they will be used in a crime and have a detective and ATF agent tap on my door....
Just a couple days ago in Toledo, a vice detective was shot and killed by a 15 yo . They have recovered a Smith Chief's special that they believe to be the weapon. Will be interesting to find out the origin of it and see what happens to the owner. Was a very nice piece in excellent condition, so bet it wasn't purchased in a proper way by the kid even if FTF....

Kennedy124
February 23, 2007, 02:06 PM
SOS you never saw the guns again?

Has anyone here ever recovered weapons that were lost/stolen? With the aid of LEOs?

joab
February 23, 2007, 04:06 PM
My fathers gun was stolen about a year ago.
The police called to tell him that it was recovered and he could have it back, but he died before he did.

I sold a shotgun to a friend many years ago. The guns was later stolen, sawed off and used in a failed robbery attempt.
The police took the gun off the body and notified my friend that he could have the receiver back if I gave a written statement that the gun was not in that condition when I sold it to him.
It took less than three months from theft to recovery in that case.

Another friend had a gun stolen and it was used to hold up an undercover cop that same night.
The police came to see me the next day because the gun was never reported stolen. I gave them the name of the person I sold it to and he was able to reclaim the gun some time later

JDSnead
February 23, 2007, 10:13 PM
My father had a 1911 stolen out of his office in the mid 1960s. He reported it with serial number and description, and his insurance paid him for his loss.

Around 1987, he received a call from a sheriff's department in Florida, asking him if he had reported it stolen so many years before. When he asnwered affirmatively, they told him it had been recovered in a drug arrest, the case had been prosecuted (with the gun as evidence) and could be released to him, if his local Sheriff vouched for him.

The Sheriff was a patient of my father's, and handled the return personally. He got the 1911 back, but it was in such bad condition that he immediately traded it for a different gun.

So, you can get them back. This made me think there is no "expiration" of the info about a gun that is reported stolen.
JS

Gbro
February 24, 2007, 01:44 AM
A friend of mine told me about his father's shotgun. 1897 win. Mpls. MN

He had been burglarized, and lost all his guns. (cira 1955)
He then purchased more guns and recorded the SSN's and took pic's. He was burglarized a second time. and filed the reports this time with SSN's and pic's.
Some years later, while viewing guns a action by the DNR (Minnesota) there was his '97. He brought it to the attention of the DNR officer in attendance. He went home and got copy's of the police report, the pic's and returned.
No deal, the gun was up for action, as it was confiscated. He had to buy it back at action.

Some years later,('90's) he was taken captive by thieves and blindfolded, and beaten in his home as the thieves were looking for money, and got his guns again. He survived that incident because sirens were approaching the area and the intruders were scared away. the sirens however went by, but saved him, and the '97 is still missing.
This poor soul is gone now but the saga of that '97 may still continue.

trooper3385
February 24, 2007, 01:54 AM
Kennedy, if the officer is doing his job, the odds of you getting the gun back is about 100%. If the gun is enter as lost or stolen and an officer comes in contact with it, he should run the serial number and get a hit on it in which you will be contacted. If the gun was used in a crime, you may have to wait until the case is disposed of before you will get it back, but it will eventually be able to be released to you. My State Police Dept. has a policy that ANYTIME we come in contact with a firearm, even if it is on a regular traffic stop, the serial number WILL be run. A firearm is one of the only items that once it has been entered into NCIC as lost or stolen, it will stay in there until the end of time or the weapon is recovered. Last year I arrested this kid that had a Colt 1911 on him that came back stolen. It was reported stolen in 1984 in Denver from a home burglary. I contacted the owner and he made a summer vacation trip down to South Texas to pick up the gun a few months later. The majority of the time that guns are not returned to the owner is because they were either unable to be located, or just didn't want to make the trip to come get it. In that case, the gun is destroyed. The odds of an officer coming into possesion of your gun and just throwing it into a storage locker and not following up on it are unlikely. Departments have policies that are mandated by the state on stored evidence. Most Departments are going to want to move the evidence out as soon as possible to keep there evidence safes from filling up

clem
February 24, 2007, 01:58 AM
Reported stolen and/or lost weapons should be entered into NCIC by the report taking agency.
I've seen weapons returned to the owners, after being lost/stolen for years.

Kennedy124
February 24, 2007, 11:04 AM
Hopefully it is found in one of the counties I notified. I'm not 100% sure of EVERY county I drove through and every rest stop I hit. Cause if not, I can kiss that thing goodbye.

CrustyFN
February 24, 2007, 11:54 AM
Although you might have a CCW for the state that you live in.

That does not give you the right to carry it from state to state, loaded in your car.

Some states gets very touchy about people bringing in handguns from other states.

You might just get yourself into a lot of trouble.

Yes you do have to report it stolen / missing.

Yes, you woud hope that if the police recover it that it will be returned to you.

But in some states and also in some municipalities you will be in a lot of trouble - just for having a handgun in your possession....

Next time you will think before you load up Old Betsy for a family vacation...

I might be missing something here but My CCW is recognized in 32 ststes. What would be the point of the other 31 recognizing it if I couldn't carry it loaded in those states? My understanding is I am legal to carry in all of those states. So how am I going to get in trouble?

NCHornet
February 24, 2007, 02:44 PM
You still never explained how this happened, how you were carrying the gun at the time, etc.. Some of us would love to know!!

Kennedy124
February 24, 2007, 09:03 PM
With respect to my line of work, I cannot discuss how it happend. That's all I'm allowd to say.

Stretchman
February 25, 2007, 03:10 AM
If anything like this ever happens again, simply report it locally, to your sheriff or the local PD. They'll want a serial number and model number. That's all you have to do. It'll hit the wire and if it turns up anywhere, it'll ping the dept where the report was filed. Nice and easy.

People lose things all the time. It happens. If you cannot remember when it happened, or where, then good on you. It means it really got lost. Once it is out of your possesion and control, and has been reported, you're basically off the hook. That is, as long as it doesn't come back looking like maybe it was used in a crime that you could be connected to.

Jacobie
February 25, 2007, 03:12 AM
No offense, but i hope in your line of work you don't have to much responsibility<sp.

Kennedy124
February 25, 2007, 09:57 AM
Much more than I rightfully should...

DonR101395
February 25, 2007, 10:15 AM
Has anyone here ever recovered weapons that were lost/stolen? With the aid of LEOs?

Yes, In 97 I left a 1911 with a friend in MI while I was stationed in Korea. His house was robbed, he reported it stolen and had it back in 2-3 weeks.

NCHornet
February 25, 2007, 10:23 AM
Once it is out of your possesion and control, and has been reported, you're basically off the hook.

Maybe legally, but not morally!! I sure would have a hard time dealing with knowing that due to my neglegence a kid got a hold of a loaded firearm and killed his best friend. Think it doesn't happen, read the newspaper. As far as I am concerened just because you reported it lost doesn't mean you are off the hook, but I hope in your top secret line of work you are more careful about your firearms in the future. I sincerely hope this turns out okay for you.

Nortonics
February 25, 2007, 11:02 AM
With respect to my line of work, I cannot discuss how it happend. That's all I'm allowd to say.

Ummm, okay... :rolleyes:

At least give us a visual - what make & model gun are we talking about here?

joab
February 25, 2007, 11:30 AM
As always,
just a matter of time before the moral superiors come out to post

Abstract
February 25, 2007, 12:18 PM

This has a very funny smell to it. :rolleyes:

mikejonestkd
February 25, 2007, 03:05 PM
Abstract,

>>This has a very funny smell to it.

Sorry, that was me, Taco bell for lunch today....I gotta stop eating there..

Yes, this does seem odd to say the least.

Nortonics
February 25, 2007, 03:21 PM
This has a very funny smell to it. :rolleyes: Sorry, that was me, Taco bell for lunch today....I gotta stop eating there..

Would that be KFC/Taco Bell in Greenwich Village, NY? I hear they have a popular new rat lovers happy meal (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=5057369). Funny - I just thought they got the chicken and hamburger mixed up... :p

Kennedy124
February 25, 2007, 04:07 PM
"Under a pillow in a hotel room"

The only words that I really caught on the phone. Apparently I have to drive back out to Utah to pick it up, or something like that.

Cleaning lady found it and brought it in.

drinks
February 25, 2007, 04:37 PM
You are not alone in H.U.A. actions, I have seen several reports of LEOs in uniform walking off and leaving their piece in restrooms.
I would think a check of gear would be as automatic as checking the position of your zipper
:eek: :D

Abstract
February 25, 2007, 04:49 PM
So, I guess The President and the rest of the party whose security was at stake, didn't notice the missing bulge?

Kennedy124
February 25, 2007, 07:17 PM
While I do carry a full-size, there's never a bulge.

Unless of course a security presence is making it a point to be known, then we carry a little extra for the "look".

Blackwater OPS
February 25, 2007, 07:34 PM
I am now officially raising the BS flag....

Kennedy124
February 26, 2007, 07:58 AM
If you were really in Blackwater, you would understand my situation.

But hey, we can't all be posers like you ya'know?

DonR101395
February 26, 2007, 08:01 AM

I don't know anyone at Blackwater who doesn't do an equipment check.
I'll ask around when I'm there next week.

Kennedy124
February 26, 2007, 12:36 PM
Do you know any of them who've made mistakes?

I do. Well, did.

Blackwater OPS
February 26, 2007, 12:50 PM

That's too funny...

Supertac
February 26, 2007, 01:50 PM
ROFL
@
Men In Black special agent calling out Blackwater Ops

Jacobie
February 26, 2007, 09:56 PM
Should I grab some popcorn for this?:rolleyes:

Double J
February 27, 2007, 10:13 AM
The best bet would be to report it missing/ lost just to cover yourself. Then hope you didn't loose it in Illinois. LEO's here like nice shiny objects too. I reported one of my guns stolen back in '95. Sheriff sent two of his buddies out to my home to keep me quiet. Was told to forget about the gun or they'd find something else to to keep me occupied with. Cops got a freeby. Latter found out cops had sold my gun to a dealer that resold it. You might check out the police auctions in the suspected areas. You'd be surprised what gets peddled. Good luck.

PickSigma
February 27, 2007, 10:42 AM
I am a new firearm owner and just dont see how it is possible to lose a gun. Maybe here in a few years, I may figure it out.

tech
February 27, 2007, 02:02 PM
Hmm.... super secret job can’t tell anyone about. Lost pistol. Implies there is some professional bent to this whole thing but has no resources to fall back on and has to ask people on a public forum what to do... Calls longtime members posers but does not even notice he has no weapon until he is states away.... I am not sure this all adds up.

Hope you get your gun back though.
Mike

rlong5
February 27, 2007, 04:38 PM
While I do carry a full-size, there's never a bulge.

Sorry about your luck. Whether I'm carrying or not, there's always a bulge. :D :rolleyes:

kristop64089
February 27, 2007, 10:54 PM
well, I'm msure glad my or my family's life did not depend on this man having his firearm on him. Maybe we need to have a better screening process inplace...because , quite frankly there is NO EXCUSE

joab
February 28, 2007, 12:27 AM
What there is no excuse for is the ridiculous pile on and insults spewed at a member who came and asked a simple question.

What unfortunately is so predictable is that those that have chosen to assume the moral superiority position, again predictably newer members, have predominately not even attempted to answer the mans questions.
Apparently just another case of those with nothing to say being compelled to say it the loudest.

Anybody even try to read his smart ass answers?
Do you think that he is just giving back what he is getting from y'all?

Blackwater OPS
February 28, 2007, 01:10 AM
I have to disagree, the whole thing smells of BS. I think he did something stupid and now he is lying about the circumstances.

joab
February 28, 2007, 02:33 AM
And I disagree with you

Some of the responses (Not yours) have been pathetically immature and embarrassing

Why do you (collective) feel the need to call BS, does it make you a better person or the forum a better board

If he is a troll or BSer why not just show some maturity by answering the question asked and thwarting his attempt?

If he is what you think he has made a fool of you(the moral superiority crowd) not the members who answered his questions

If they get no rise from us the trolls leave because we are no fun
When y'all play into their games you merely encourage them

NukeCop
February 28, 2007, 01:47 PM
It makes them cool is what it does. Just like it did in highschool. I call BS on blackwater OPS. Thanks, I'll have the number 7 blackwater. Steak on my quesadilla, and a hard shell taco, plz.

For the record I've seen Blackwater in Bagram in '06. Just cowboys doing what they want, for the most part.

NukeCop
February 28, 2007, 01:49 PM
ok im done. I'll just eat my popcorn. :D

Kennedy124
March 1, 2007, 03:25 PM
The reason I stopped replying was because I flipped through the names-faces thread and actually realized who I was dealing with. Posting immature insults on a message board is probably the only thing keeping some of these "cowboys" from beating their wives.

Sorry, it's just not worth my time.

But why else would I ask for advice on how to recover a lost firearm on a public forum? You think if I ask my boss I would have a job in the morning? Get a clue.

AngusPodgorney
March 4, 2007, 06:40 PM
But why else would I ask for advice on how to recover a lost firearm on a public forum? You think if I ask my boss I would have a job in the morning? Get a clue.

You mean your boss hasn't noticed the missing gun either?