View Full Version : need to find firing pin for

July 16, 2005, 08:37 PM

I need some help finding a firing pin for a WesternField M854 22LR rifle. Montgomery Ward is also a marking on it.

I had broken one some years ago, machined a new one myself from tool steel, and broke it in short while.

Anyone that can help?


Oh, and PS: if you know where i can get the adjuster that goes under the rear sight, that would be good too.


July 16, 2005, 08:45 PM
First I would try here:
Gun Parts Corp (http://www.e-gunparts.com/)

After that, I really don't know what to tell you, other than you'll have to fashion your own again. :(

July 16, 2005, 09:05 PM
The problem is, I no longer have a template :(

the tip of this one broke off. and even if i CAN make one again, out of what? Tool Steel obviously didnt work out all that well

July 16, 2005, 11:07 PM
My cross references don't show a Western Field Model 853.

However, most of these rifles were actually made by Mossberg, and even though there are MANY different model numbers, most are basically the same general gun.

I do show the Western Field Models 850 855 as being the Mossberg 853.

What I'd suggest is contacting Gun Parts Corporation with all the markings and the serial numbers that you can find on the rifle.

I'm sure Gun Parts can supply a new firing pin, and a new rear sight elevator will be no problem at all.

If you go to the Gun Parts web site at look at the Mossberg 853, possibly you can ID it as your rifle.

July 17, 2005, 12:22 AM
My reference shows the WF 850 & 853 as the Mossberg 353 and the WF852 as the Mossberg 341.

July 17, 2005, 06:51 AM
If the one you made broke, I would assume it didn't have the right dimensions or it was not heat treated properly.Tool steel [drill rod] would be the proper choice of material.

July 17, 2005, 05:38 PM
The firing pin i needs APPEARS to be the same as the one for the mossberg 353

The difference i see between that one and my gun is that mine has fifteen rounds dropped into the stock, and then pushed forward by a rod of sorts. Im sure you know what i mean.

Thanks tho. I am going to order this as i am pretty sure its what i need.

July 19, 2007, 06:06 PM
Was the part the one you needed? I have a need of the same firing pin for the exact same rifle?

James K
July 19, 2007, 08:54 PM
The Gun Parts Corp. catalog (which I recommend you get) has a note on those Mossberg 353 firing pins, indicating that there are two very similar ones. They are flat, so not easily made out of drill rod, but sawing one out of flat tool steel should work OK, just don't harden it too much. GPC shows them at about $12 so it might not be worth it to make one. Whether you make or buy, pay attention to fitting the front part of the firing pin (the firing pin stop) so that the firing pin doesn't contact the breech face if the gun is dry fired.


July 20, 2007, 01:40 PM
Thank You, of my collection of rifles the M854 is one of my favorite plinker's. If you miss with this rifle, YOU missed! A friend of mine is making one for now, but I'll order one too, just in case.


George R
July 21, 2007, 12:54 PM
For you Mossberg owners, I'd recommend you go to www.havlinsales.com. This is a H/W team who know more about Mossbergs than OF himself. They also run the Mossberg Collectors Assn. A fp from them is more $ ($18), but everything Mossberg they sell will fit.