PDA

View Full Version : CMP-legal AR-15?

Conrad Miller
March 24, 2000, 10:34 AM
Hello,

I am considering buying an AR-15 for CMP matches. I read the rules and read some posts on here... from what I've read here the barrel should be at least 20", but I can't find the specific rules that say so. The rule I read says the barrel can be at most 20". Help?

4V50 Gary
March 24, 2000, 10:40 AM
The general rule of thumb for a CMP rifle is that it must externally resemble the service rifle and any alterations must not be discernable on the exterior. In recognition of the limitations imposed on features, CMP does permit the absence of bayonet lugs and flash suppressors.

Since the service rifle, M16A2, has a 20" barrel, the CMP competition rifle generally has a 20" barrel. With the shorter barrel M4, I suppose it's quite possible for a shorter barrel, provided that the gun is configured like the M4 (and on a pre-ban lower receiver).

For more information, go to the CMP website.

Forseti
March 24, 2000, 02:07 PM
Current 2000 regs have just been posted to the odcmp website in PDF format at this URL:
http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Competitions/2000_Rule_Books.pdf

Interestingly, I too thought you could not go shorter than 20", but that is not the case...you can't go longer than 20". Also interesting is that the trigger pull can't be lower than 4.5 pounds...I would think that would preclude many "competition" model rifles, that seem to offer 3.5 out of the box...