The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 24, 2004, 12:34 PM   #1
Ironbarr

Is there such a thing as Savage Mod 60 in .22lr???

Pressed for time I got a fast look in Walmart at was supposed (on paper) to be a bolt action but turned out to be (out of box) a semi w/10-rnd mag in black furniture. Not wanting to handle the rifle I tried reading through the plastic wrap - no success. The clerk, a good guy by the way, said it was a Mod 60. But the Savage web site has, among other series, only Mod 64xx.

This is priced at $99 - attractive.

I was really looking for a left-hand bolt for a young'un, but the right-hand semi would relieve the cross-over handling. Now I'm up in the air.

Any thoughts on the Model 60? Is it an older Savage? Is it even a correct ID?

-Andy

FWTV - For Whatever The Value
...When seconds count, most help is just minutes away.
Old August 24, 2004, 01:02 PM   #2
joab

Sounds like the clerk is mistaking a Savage 64 for a Marlin 60 which it vaguely resembles
I bought the same gun a couple of years ago and gave it to my nephew. It was an alright gun just to light for me, my personal favorite is an ancient Savage 6A that weighs about 10lbs
My nephew thinks it is the greatest gun ever made in the history of guns ans according to my BIL is a pretty good shot with it
Old August 24, 2004, 01:41 PM   #3
Dave R

Yup. That gun at Wal-Mart was a Marlin Model 60. Been around forever. One of the classics. I have an old one that I really like. I like the barrel length, the ammo capacity, the accuracy, and the trigger pull. From what I hear the newer ones don't have as nice a trigger pull, but certainly worth checking out.
Old August 24, 2004, 02:17 PM   #4
joab

Great Wall Mart also selle the Savage 64 which is the one I gave my nephew.
I have a marlin 60 from a few years ago I prefer the Marlin
Quote:
a semi w/10-rnd mag in black furniture.
The gun you were looking at was the Savage 64
Old August 26, 2004, 11:51 AM   #5
FirstFreedom

Yes, that was a Savage 64, not a Marlin 60 - they're both good guns. The Marlin 60 is about the same price, also.

http://www.savagearms.com/64fvss.htm
Old August 26, 2004, 07:56 PM   #6
Dave Markowitz

FYI, Savage makes left handed .22 bolt guns, I have a Mark II-GL .22 LR and 93-GL .22 Mag. Both are nice rifles although they need some trigger work. They make a youth version of the Mark II-GL, the Mark II-GLY.
Old August 27, 2004, 07:40 AM   #7
Apple a Day

Andy,
The local Wal-Mart in Newport News carries both the Savage MkII and the 64F for $99 when they are in stock (no pun intended). They disappear pretty quickly, esp. the MkII bolt-action.
It just so happens that I went in the other day, having convinced myself to get the MkII and they were sold out, picked up the 64F and took it home with me instead. I am looking forward to trying it out.
Contrary to what most folks have said about Wal Mart, the folks who worked there were very polite and knowledgable. One guy was a former minister who saw my CCL and talked about getting one for himself soon. Another customer was waiting to buy a knife and started telling me stories from when he was a competition shotgunner, travelling Europe and such. When he mentioned that he was selling a .300 magnum left handed bolt gun the other clerk piped in that she had one and loved it. On the way walking me to the front of the store she was telling me about her new .17 Remington and how much fun that was to shoot.
Have you been to the A&P Arms down on Mercury Ave. in Hampton? I didn't know they had an A&P there until just recently. It's in the Greenbriar shopping center just a couple of doors down from Peninsula Gun Works. They guy behind the counter was a hoot, very helpful. I walked out of there a month ago with a new Ruger P95 for a good price.
I'm sure you've gotten the VCDL emails and know about the gun show at the Coliseum on the 18th and 19th of September, too. Maybe they'll have a left-hander there.
Regards,
Erick/Apple
Old August 27, 2004, 10:50 AM   #8
joab

Red Mart will also order any gun in there catalog for you if they're out of stock.
Old August 30, 2004, 08:36 PM   #9
Ironbarr

Thanks, all, for the replies and info.

Hey Erick, you don't post enough here - guess I have a big mouth... or is it fingertips? Haven't seen you since we "stood together" at the VCDL table - what - a year or more back? Yep about the next show... I'm looking at my empty schedule for Sept trying to figure out how to pencil it in.

I'd like to get him that left-sided bolt, but that right-sided semi looked good. I'm thinking he'd be able to handle that from the operational viewpoint. Still deciding.

-Andy

FWTV - For Whatever The Value
...When seconds count, most help is just minutes away.
Old September 3, 2004, 09:54 AM   #10
Apple a Day

Andy,
I've got a wedding reception that weekend, darnit. I may sneak in to grab some of the soon-to-become-legal full cap. mags but then it's time to clean up and play nice.
I'll see you around sometime, though.