The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 16, 2006, 07:35 AM   #1
Daves-got-guns

night-time hd

howdy, and i know aloot of people on this forum dedicate a lot of time preparing for home defense, my question is hearing how many crimes are comitted in the darkness, how much time do you all spend practicing what you would do in a night time situation, weather it be training shooting in low light, or no light sitiations. Also how are your weapons geared more towards night time shooting. I myself do not practice night time techniques but am curious about people who do.
Old December 16, 2006, 09:01 AM   #2
locknid

well if you have the money to spare, and your gun permits it, get some night sights on your gun. most of the time in dark situations there will at least be a little light, even in almost no light the outline of a person can be seen, as long as you can align your sites at night then you can usually hit a body mass pretty easily.
Old December 17, 2006, 03:21 AM   #3
jfrey123

I've got night lights spread through out my apartment, from the standard plug mounted nightlights and a couple of low watt table lamps on all night. I basically got tired of stubbin' my toe on those nights wandering aimlessly to the bathroom. My bedroom itself is pretty dark, but I figure if BG has gotten into my room, I'd see him there by the light in the hallway.

My self-defense weapon is a Glock 17 with factory night sights. It's kept loaded on my little wire rack night stand under some clothes. My practice is to unload it (checkin' it three times, of course) and basically roll out of bed while grabbing for it. I practice taking a defensive position and waiting for BG to come through my bedroom door, and I also practice clearing my own apartment (not that I would, just good to have down). My practice is done at night and during day, just to have the differences, and it's done while NO ONE is there.

My next bit of practice will be shooting at night in the desert. I've got some camping areas that are very out of the way, and if I'm there during the day I'll have a good idea of what is behind my target before I start pluggin away at nightfall. My reason for this is to try and see what it will be like actually firing live rounds in a low light/no light situation.
Old December 17, 2006, 04:05 AM   #4
vanilla_gorilla

My bedstand and nighttime gun is a Springfield Operator equipped with Novak nightsights and a TLR-1 light attached. I work midnights, and stay up most every night, so quite often, I turn out the lights in the house and practice clearing room and hallways with an unloaded weapon. Usually do this at least once or twice a month.
Old December 17, 2006, 12:33 PM   #5
beezaur

1911 .45 Auto with:

- tritium sights
- SureFire weapon-mounted light
- Crimson Trace Lasergrips
- SureFire Aviator flashlight (red low level)

Scott