The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 11, 2000, 04:12 PM   #1
DVCBILL

I removed a scope mount from a Bennelli shotgun and the receiver has loctite residue,green I believe, on it. It is also a ribbed section which makes it worse. Any ideas how to remove? I think Bennelli receivers are painted so heat isn't an option. I have tried acetone,brakeclean and shooters choice but no luck. Thanks
Old September 11, 2000, 05:39 PM   #2
johnwill

You could try a little heat, that's what loosens it when you want to remove something that's been put together with LocTite.
Old September 11, 2000, 08:03 PM   #3
jrhines

johnwill is leading you down the right path! If you can get your hands on a heatgun, the one I have will damn-near silver solder, and use it to slowly heat up the part. If the paint or whateverfinish can withstand acetone & those other solvents, seems like a bit of carefully applied heat would be no cause for alarm. But heat is the real McCoy for softening up cured Loc-Tite. Once it's soft, pick it off & out with a wooden toothpick or similar...
Good luck...