The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 12, 2005, 10:35 PM   #1
methius

Taurus 24/7 Glitch

Hello there. As the title states I recently purchased a Taurus PT 24/7 .40 S&W. The second day I owned it I took it out to the firing range and put 100 shells through it Wally world white box Winchesters. I had the slide stop three times on me about 3/8 of an inch from the full resting position.

I decided to take it into the place of buisness I purchased it from and asked if they knew of any others who had this problem.... They told me that it just needed to get worked in. Alright some pistols need to get worked in like a gritty trigger pull and such... So I took it home and worked it. I noticed it would only do it when I had ammo in the mag. Hours later I thought it might be getting better.

My good friend wanted to take it out hunting with him. A new law had passed allowing handguns in almost every hunting season except for bow. So I took him out to the range so he could get the feel of the pistol. Pretty accurate once he learned where the sights needed to be focused.

I should note that he is very very careful when handling a firearm. Very saftey catious. We both went and got our CCW permits together. He shot a 92 a 72 here but thats neither here nor there

He took it out hunting, after the hunt he went to unload the pistol to let someone he was hunting with see it. The slide slipped when he was trying to lock it back and chambered a round. It got stuck at that same place. he turned it sideways to look more closley at it and he gently pushed it foward with his thumb. It fired and went through his leg, severing an artery and passing out his calf.

He is doing fine he will be back to work in a couple months.

What I am wondering is there any Taurus PT 24/7 owners out there that have had there slide do this same thing if so please post and let me know what you found out about it in your experience.

I appreciate any inpuit in this matter. My buddy is looking for people with the asme problem so he can determine if this is a wide spread problem with the Taurus 24/7. If it is then there might be a bit of a big problem. The last thing we need is firearms going off when not intended.
Be safe.
Methius
Old December 13, 2005, 06:42 PM   #2
lee n. field

Try polishing the breech face and putting in a stronger recoil spring.
Old December 17, 2005, 01:38 AM   #3
BayouBlade

Glad your friend is alive.

You stated that he's "Pretty accurate once he learned where the sights needed to be focused. " Sounds like he still needs to learn that. A higher target score than you does not equal competent gun handling.

He might try always pointing a weapon in a safe direction and you should send your gun back to Taurus to take advantage of their lifetime warranty. They will either repair it or replace it with a new one that works.
Old December 17, 2005, 10:28 AM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Thread moved to Gun Smithing.