PDA

View Full Version : John Lott: Armed citizens can make it more difficult for attackers

Dan from MI
December 30, 2001, 03:51 PM
Armed citizens can make it more difficult for attackers

By John R. Lott Jr. / Special to The Detroit News

With the FBI issuing alerts, what should American's do to protect themselves? We have all heard that we should be observant and report strange events to the police. In the last weeks, other things have been added to the list, such as be careful of letters with powdery substances. Yet, one option has not been encouraged. News articles mention the large increase in gun sales that have taken place since Sept. 11, but fail to mention the benefits and belittle those who buy the guns. We could learn something about responding to terrorism from Israel, and encourage more ordinary, responsible citizens to carry guns.

Israelis realize that the police and military simply can't be there all the time to protect people when terrorists attack. And even when the police or military are nearby, terrorists wait until the police and military leave the area before attacking. If attacks still go forward, those who are openly carrying a gun for protection become the first targets that the terrorists try to take out.

What Israel has found helpful in thwarting terrorist attacks is allowing law-abiding, trained citizens to carry concealed handguns. Today, about 10 percent of Jewish adults have permits to carry concealed handguns. Concealed handguns put terrorists at a disadvantage because they don't know which citizens carry guns. During waves of terror attacks Israel's national police chief will call on all concealed handgun permit holders to make sure they carry firearms at all times, and Israelis have many examples where concealed permit holders have saved lives.

-----------
For rest of article, click here.
http://www.detnews.com/2001/editorial/0112/30/a17-378433.htm

Watchman
December 30, 2001, 04:27 PM
Well...that aint hard to figure.

Everybody knows that except for the anti's.

The crooks know it.
The terrorists know it.
The CCW holders know it.

Most politicians know it.

When they come out and publicly acknowledge that, we'll all be better off. I doubt that 'll ever happens though, because the few that control the flow of money realize that for us to fit into the one world plan we must all be eventually disarmed. The well meaning antigunners are supporting the plan for us to become good global citizens without even realizing it.

Ever wonder why Israel gets so much flack from the UN ? Its because they recognize the UN for what it is.

Most common folk know that the only way the average guy has a fighting chance is to be armed. Anybody that dosent realize that is cannon fodder.

Redondo
December 30, 2001, 08:35 PM
I have great respect for Mr. Lott, but in this case he only has "a great grasp of the obvious".

PATH
December 30, 2001, 10:12 PM
What Redondo said.

geegee
December 30, 2001, 11:21 PM
Redondo on John Lott: "He has a great grasp of the obvious."

It would appear that way to the crowd here at TFL, but remember that for the "fence sitters", the uninformed voters, the intellectually lazy that look at us as kooks, this message delivered this plainly will appear like a lightning bolt from above. For some it will be a moment of epiphany, for many it will be met with a "harumph!" And that's why John Lott is so valuable to our side-he continues to deliver his (our) message time and time again, without getting off point. Best of all, his academic credentials are above reproach. geegee

jimpeel
December 31, 2001, 12:48 AM
The President of the United States has issued an order to me, and all Americans, to be "vigilant and prepared". I now carry a firearm in my vehicle pursuant to Colorado Law which allows me to carry a firearm for lawful protection while traveling.