PDA

View Full Version : Ar-180

VonFatman
August 1, 2001, 04:00 PM
First, are AR-180's a decent/good rifle. I don't see many around. What are the strong or weak areas of this gun?

I'm looking at purchasing a Howa AR-180. The one I have spotted is 90-95%. It's priced at $950.00
Is this a good price...or I should say, what is a good price?
I'd sell one of my AR-15 Bushmasters if the deal was good...variety is the spice of life.

Thank you
Bob

dZ
August 1, 2001, 04:26 PM
there is a new AR 180 in the works from Armalite (http://www.armalite.com)

A polymer lower and a sub 600 dollar price point

dZ

VonFatman
August 1, 2001, 04:33 PM
dZ,
Thanks, I guess I'd prefer the old style if the gun is good enough to spend the $$ on...and if the price is in the market.
If the gun is good and I can't find a reasonable old pre-ban, I'll sure look at the new Armalite.
Best wishes.
Bob

Rebeldon
August 1, 2001, 08:07 PM
I have a friend who had an AR-180. I never got to shoot it, but I did hold it. Personally, I wouldn't want it. If my memory serves me right, I think it was finished with black paint. I'm not crazy about that. Maybe you don't mind. Afterall, there are a lot of good military style rifles finished with paint.

James K
August 1, 2001, 08:39 PM
I have not seen the new one, but as for the original, I like it very much and think the AR-18/180 design is superior to that of the AR-15/M16. The gun is far less susceptible to dirt and dust, and is easier to take down for cleaning. The only weak point is the folding stock, which will likely not be used on the new ones.

The painted ones were made by Sterling in England; they were also made by Howa in Japan and by ArmaLite at Costa Mesa, CA. There were very few Costa Mesa guns and of the other two, the Howa is considered the better made.

The design allows it to be made with pretty basic machinery and the idea was to license manufacture to 2nd and 3rd world countries. The design is not a Stoner design; I think the designer was a guy named Smith.

Jim

dZ
August 1, 2001, 09:45 PM
here is a AR180 Webpage:
http://www.sterlingwebpages.com/ar180site/ar180home.htm

VonFatman
August 1, 2001, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys. I'm learning a lot.
Bob

blackamos
August 2, 2001, 10:38 PM
the AR-180 is the gun the CR-15 WANTED to be! Same barrel but better guts. I own a pre ban CAR-15 that cant hold a candle to my AR-180. BUY IT!

700PSS Shooter
August 3, 2001, 12:06 PM
$950 for a Howa is a good price. Even Sterlings go for over a grand. Buy it!:cool:

Kaylee
August 3, 2001, 01:01 PM
Any idea if/when those new 180's will be released in a carbine version? Actually, if it weren't for the ban, it would be kinda neat to see on of those with an HK-style collapsing stock..

Looked at a Robinson the other day.. nicely put together, but HEAVY for what it is...Might as well carry an M1A/FAL for that kind of weight (and cost). The polymer 180 definately looks interesting after that.

-K