PDA

View Full Version : happy with my LTR

Bill Siegle
May 21, 2001, 09:58 PM
I picked a Rem LTR up last week and finally got out to the range this weekend. Awesome gun! Throws 3 rounds into the same hole at 100yds! Iknow I know it can go further but all the longer ranges were filled up. I was using some Norinco match ammo I bought a couple years ago(150grain)and a Leupold VariXII 3X9X40. Anyway if you've ever thought about 1, get 1! Very fun to shoot and it even comes in black so it won't scare the deer this year:)

4V50 Gary
May 22, 2001, 12:04 AM
Congratulations and good shooting! It appears that Remington unwittingly created a carbine with lots of hunting potential.

BTW, what type of rings and base did you get? I ordered Leupold Quick Release rings and base for mine.

echo3mike
May 22, 2001, 01:44 AM
Know the feeling! Just got the new VS to the range last week. It's really awesome to break out the POS hunting off-the-shelf ammo and get sub-MOA groups.

Can't wait to find a good pet load!

jsr75
May 22, 2001, 02:49 AM
Couldn't agree with you more. Put about 120 rounds through mine and I'm still astonished at the amazing groups I've been getting with this little kicker--it really does have quite a kick compared to it's bigger/heavier brothers. Suppose that's why the butt pad differs from typical .308 Rem 700's and has the same pad as the .300 Win Mag. Congratulations on your new buy!

AndABeer
May 22, 2001, 06:34 AM
The LTR is my favorite firearm at the moment. It seems to love the Hornaday Light Magnum stuff which approaches .30-06 performance. Trouble is when I compare all my other longguns to it and they come up way short.

Though I still have trouble from time to time with those *&#(@!! detachable mags.

Bill Siegle
May 22, 2001, 10:20 AM
I'm using Leupold bases and rings. This is my 1st Leupold scope but not my last. Very clear optics and their base/ring combo was easy as pie to set up on the gun. I got the model with the internal mag. A friend has a PSS that has the detachable mag and it hangs up every now and then,and I've heard a lot of complaints about them from others. I figure since I'm not on a SWAT team I won't have a problem changing my ammo type mid mission,which is the only advantage I can think of. I don't think this type of rifle needs a lot of ammo to perform it's intended role. The only problem I have with this rifle is the need to shoot it more often:)

4V50 Gary
May 22, 2001, 10:39 AM
Detachable magazines could be dogs and Remington discontinued it. You'd think that with something as old as detachable magazines, they could have spent the time and research to have done it right the first time. I wonder if that was a subcontracted out part.