PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Ballistol?

wizzamen
January 17, 2018, 01:23 PM
Does anybody know an alternative CLP to Ballistol that has a better scent? I would also prefer the alternative be bio-degradable and non-carcinogenic like Ballistol is. Ballistol is a great product but the funky smell when using indoors is a problem, any suggestions?

Note: Not interested in Frog Lube. Aside from firearms, I would use the product around the house as a general lubricant and I dont like that Frog Lube sometimes doesn't interact well with other lubricants.

KyJim
January 17, 2018, 02:31 PM
You might take a look at this article: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2016/9/16/environmentally-friendly-gun-cleaning/. One of the products mentioned is WeaponShield. I like it and cannot remember any particularly bad odor. However, despite being called "environmentally friendly," its MSDS says "Prevent discharge to streams and sewers." http://weaponshield.com/MSDS/Weapon%20Shield%20CLP%20MSDS.pdf

GorillaGunworks
January 17, 2018, 02:58 PM
try Breakthrough Clean, odorless and works really well.

wizzamen
January 17, 2018, 04:44 PM
KyJim, that's a good article, thanks.

GorillaGunworks: that Breakthrough Clean looks good, except for the price.

southjk
January 17, 2018, 05:47 PM
Is it weird that I like the smell of Ballistol?

wizzamen
January 17, 2018, 05:53 PM
Is it weird that I like the smell of Ballistol?
If that is the only weird thing about you then I think you are okay :)

Looking at the prices of some of the alternatives I may have to stick with Ballistol.

bn12gg
January 17, 2018, 07:06 PM
Humpf -- just Ballistol rubbed up my Browning Pump 12g kept in bedroom corner. Sniff, sniff love that smell on my cloth and hands. Wonderful product.

.02. David. :)

wizzamen
January 17, 2018, 07:26 PM
bn12gg, what you do in your bedroom is none of my business :D

If enough people comment and defend Ballistol, I may have to change the title of this thread to: I am sorry Ballistol for ever thinking about replacing you, your mystical ways, your multiple uses, your eco friendliness, forgive me Ballistol for doubting you.

Targa
January 17, 2018, 08:03 PM
I use Ballistol but I do not like the smell of it. Once I am done with the can I have it is back to Breakfree CLP.

Pahoo
January 17, 2018, 08:04 PM
Most folks choose to cut Ballistol with water which has no effect on the odor. For my M/L's I cut mine 50/50 with Mineral Spirits and it does lower the smell. I suppose it would improve by mixing more Mineral Sprits. ..... :confused:

By my measure, Ballistol has so many good qualities that are not diminished by the smell. So many times it has given me good performance and If could find an equal, I'd probably switch to that. On various products, we usually stop looking when we find what works best for us. Ballistol is no exception. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

bn12gg
January 17, 2018, 08:43 PM
Wizz.... Other alternatives are available for bedroom use..... Ha but I prefer peach or cherry fragrance. I understand that the Swiss and Germans still go for Ballistol.

My .02. David. :D

cw308
January 19, 2018, 12:24 AM
I use Ballistol I don't mind the smell , my wife hates the smell , she turns into that girl in The Exorcist when she smells it .I clean my guns outdoors or it's hell on earth . She's not that bad , close.

wizzamen
January 19, 2018, 06:39 AM
my wife hates the smell

This was a big reason for looking for a Ballistol alternative, trying to please the rest of the household.

she turns into that girl in The Exorcist when she smells it

:D

TailGator
January 19, 2018, 11:28 AM
I'm pleased to see Weapon Shield mentioned. For me, it has emerged from the pack of gun oils as a favorite. I have started using it exclusively in the last 12 to 18 months, because it seems to have good and persistent lubricating qualities that leave my pistols easier to clean. The aroma is actually kind of pleasant, too, even to my wife's nose. I would say give it a try, and no I have no interest in the company.

cslinger
January 19, 2018, 11:29 AM
What’s wrong with the smell of dirty hobo feet???

Spur0701
January 19, 2018, 12:11 PM
I researched this question sometime last year but couldn't find a good answer. I hate the smell too and it drives my wife nuts, so I was looking for something similar or a formula to make my own without the smell.

Lo and behold, last Sep someone that knew more chemistry than me did it, see here: casualshooter.blogspot.com/2017/09/make-your-own-ballistol.html

I haven't done it but you should be able to make your own for cheap without the smell.