PDA

View Full Version : 7.62X39 LE suitability?

Gabe
February 5, 2001, 11:24 PM
Does anyone have an opinon regarding this Russian round as modern day police response rifle cartridge?

I'm looking for it's suitibilty compared to others (5.56, .308) for a decent body-armor penetrator accurate to 200 yards w/o the over-penetration and increased recoil seen in more powerful calibers.

Zak Smith
February 6, 2001, 12:35 AM
Well, to start off with, the ballistics are pretty much the same as a .30-30.

-z

Al Thompson
February 6, 2001, 08:43 AM
The cartridge is fine. The issue would be the rifle. IIRC, unless you get an SKS or AK, you can't get magazines that hold more than five rounds or so. I may be wrong on that...

Giz

M1911
February 6, 2001, 09:09 AM
This round has relatively poor ballistics, and starts to drop pretty quickly. 150 yards is no problem, but at 200 rounds it's starting to droop. .223 is much flatter shooting. Also, you'll have a much better selection of load choices with .223 than with 7.62x39. There have been lots of studies of penetration for the .223 lately, but haven't seen anything like that for 7.62x39.

M1911

Mike Irwin
February 6, 2001, 02:37 PM
I know one officer in Pennsylvania who carries, as his car gun (rural areas often have officers carrying their own handguns and rifles to complement the dept. shotgun) a modified SKS.

It's been dropped into a Choate stock, has a 4X high mount scope on it, and has a set of peep sights.

Karsten
February 7, 2001, 03:57 AM
GG.

Minor editing by Art Eatman.

[Edited by Karsten on 02-07-2001 at 11:36 AM]

Art Eatman
February 7, 2001, 10:18 AM
Given the normal controls on the use of long guns by police, the 7.62x39 is somewhat of a solution looking for a problem. The issue of over-penetration will always be important--and should be, even with a relatively pipsqueak round.

Maximum accuracy is the most needed quality in a police sniper package, and that's already been dealt with.

As one evisions the myriad scenarios in which an LEO could find himself, weapons packages presently available are quite sufficient--realizing that availability does not mean "in possession"--that's a function of departmental policy.

FWIW, Art