PDA

View Full Version : SKS stocks question

Nightcrawler
January 21, 2001, 04:59 AM
Which synthetic SKS stocks will work with the 20 and 30 round detachable mags that I like to use for plinking? will the Choate? (I'm not at all interested in that ATI fake-folder. My friend had one. It's ugly, useless, and muzzle heavy).

AR-10
January 21, 2001, 08:02 AM
Try looking at vSurvivor's SKS Boards (http://pub7.ezboard.com/bsurvivorssksboards). There is a lot of information available on this subject. Choate seems to be the most popular after-market stock.

Badger Arms
January 21, 2001, 03:01 PM
It's realy tight in my choate, but still works well enough. I don't like the plastic coated bricks that ATI sells.

Mike Irwin
January 21, 2001, 05:17 PM
Yes, the Choat should work, but you may need to do a little dremel work around the opening.

I have the standard magazine on mine, and I had to do a little dremel work.

jimc
January 22, 2001, 05:50 PM
nightcrawler
if you are interested in a synthetic stock e-m me as i have a few available.

Karsten
January 22, 2001, 08:03 PM
Nightcrawler, look into the ATI Dragonov stock. It is a heavy stock and the right lenth. virtually drop in installation and off to the range. I keep 4 10 round mags just for the one rifle as I like the looks. It will also take 5-40 rounds mags as well. I have a Great Russian I am going to order the same stock for that had a Ramline Monte Carlo. Light until I wieghted the hollow stock with .50 lead balls, it is okay now. Choate stock make the rifle feel like a Daisy air rifle. I can find the place to order as well if needed for between $65-70

[Edited by Karsten on 01-22-2001 at 09:30 PM]

Bottom Gun
January 24, 2001, 02:59 AM
IMHO, the best buys on the market are the red fiberglass jungle issue stocks. They are slimmer and feel much better than the wooden issue stocks and are extremely rugged.
You can find them for under $10 and if you don't like the color, you can always paint it. My buddy did one in tiger stripe and it came out really sharp looking.
I also found that by putting a ventilated handguard on it and drilling a vertical row of 1/4 inch diameter holes through the bayonnet channel, it keeps the barrel MUCH cooler during rapid or prolonged fire. I spaced the holes on 7/16 centers and ran them the entire length of the channel. I was surprised that the extra ventilation made so much difference.