PDA

View Full Version : Russian AK configuration

Ruthless4christ
January 21, 2012, 09:43 PM
So we all know what the US forces do with their m4s quad rails red dots, etc. and we all know what WE do with ak-s (quad rails, red dots ets) but what do the Russian military do with their aks’? As far as I know the ak-74 is still the standard issue rifle? (correct me if I’m wrong) do they even come with rail forends? What kind of optics do they use?

Ruthless4christ
January 22, 2012, 10:12 AM
complicated question I guess...:rolleyes:

rifleman8
January 23, 2012, 12:12 AM
I've wondered this as well. A quick search turned up that the AK-74M has been produced (I'm assuming standard issued as well) since 1991. It has plastic hardware, a solid sidefolding buttstock and a side mounted scope rail. I don't know whether the rail is only used for night vision optics. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything about configuration, and pictures of Russian troops show mixed configurations. Here's a link: http://world.guns.ru/assault/rus/ak-74-e.html

bacardisteve
January 23, 2012, 05:58 AM
I dont know about the russians but my last tour in Iraq we helped train the Iraqi Police and they were issued ak-47 underfolders. Couldnt tell ya who made em cuz nothing was written in english other than 7.62x39

Mrgunsngear
January 23, 2012, 09:52 AM
Most Russian troops have EO Techs mounted on their AK 74s. The way they do it seems to not allow for a cheek weld but they've never been very big on the 'basics' of marksmanship so maybe they don't mind. I'm sure there are plenty of them still relying on the old iron sights though.