PDA

View Full Version : Sako Kodiak-How good are these rifles?

wrongtime
July 24, 2011, 06:04 PM
I have been considering one of these rifles for some time. They are rather expensive as production rifles go and I am wondering if they are really worth the substantial premium over the cost of many domestic rifles. If the quality of the current Sako indeed holds up to its reputation, I have no objection to paying the price; but I want to get my moneys worth. Any owners please share your opinions.

IDAHO83501
July 24, 2011, 06:20 PM
I am not familiar with the Kodiak Sako. I bought a new Sako 75 Stainless/ Syn. 7mm Rem. mag a few years ago and I love it. Before I bought the Sako I had a Ruger 77 Stainless/Syn. in the same caliber. Night and day difference shooting one v.s. the other. While the Ruger was a good rifle,,,,the Sako is fantastic. Accurate, terrific trigger, fit and finish, everything about the Sako is better than the Ruger except the $$$. Yes I could have purchased 3 Rugers for the price of 1 Sako, but you can only shoot one at a time right?? Besides I have since bought a coupl of Stainless Weatherby Vanguards, and a Stainless Mini 14 Ruger. Quality never goes out of style. Good luck

603Country
July 24, 2011, 06:31 PM
My Sako (Sako Hunter, I think) in 270 is easily my best and favorite rifle. I bought it in the 80's when I wanted to upgrade from my Remington 700. It has the controlled round feed Mauser type action (I don't know if today's model 75's are push feed or CRF). The action is so smooth, and the trigger is great. The only minor gripe I have it that either I'm getting older or the Sako is putting on weight.

Saltydog235
July 25, 2011, 07:00 AM
I love a good rifle and think there are some that are just worth paying more for. I own Brownings, Rugers, Remingtons, Savages, Winchesters, Parker-Hales, Mausers, BSA's and on and on. I stole a Sako 7mm08 and .270 a couple of years ago at a gun inventory reductions sale. Of all the rifles that I own, the Sako's are just another notch or two above even the Supergrade 70's. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one or 20.

recarga
July 25, 2011, 08:51 AM
Mine is a sako finbear in 7mm rem mag it was made in 1976 and is a sub moa at 200 yrd
that's how good they are after 14 years

Cowboy_mo
July 25, 2011, 09:18 AM
I can't speak to the new ones as I have never shot one. However, I used one (rented from the PH) when I was in Africa last year.

It was a superb firearm (in 30-06 spfld). It was a tackdriver and the softest shooting 06 I ever fired. Now this rifle was probably 30 years old and had some definite hunting scars but it shot great. The only thing I disliked about it was carrying the weight all day long. LOL

wrongtime
July 25, 2011, 11:21 AM
Gentlemen, I appreciate your comments. In researching these rifles, I have come across a very small number of negative remarks. The rifles seem to be uniformly well thought of. They are quite scarce in my area, unfortunately. I was able to examine a Sako A7 which left me distinctly unimpressed, but have not seen the higher-end versions locally. As I grow older, I find I would prefer a smaller number of higher quality firearms than a larger number of "ordinary" ones. Toward that end, I have taken an interest in the Sako brand. The Kodiak and the new Classic Deluxe look as if they would fill my needs.

Saltydog235
July 25, 2011, 11:54 AM
The A7 is not what the other spectrum of the Sako name is.

phil mcwilliam
July 25, 2011, 07:01 PM
I love Sako rifles & own 3 of them, but unfortunately not the Kodiak. My only concern would be the weight of the rifle in controlling recoil, as the Kodiak is available in only .338 & .375 magnums. The Kodiak weighs 8 pounds, where the Sako safari weighs 9 pounds. An 8 pound rifle is usually fine in weight, but the magnums do recoil a bit more than the standard 30-06. Interesting to note te CZ Safari in .375 weighs 10 pounds. Pity you can't fire a Kodiak before buying as the Sako stocks are well designed and the 8 pound weight may be fine in taming the recoil of the magnum rounds.