PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on ammo.

Nick9130White
May 30, 2011, 02:28 PM
What kind of ammo would you prefer for .308 and 7.62x39mm

.308 is for my Saiga 22" barrel. I've tried UMC but it kept denting the brass so I stopped and wolf black box. Fairly accurate. It can hit a 12" target at 50 yards. Haha.

7,62x39mm is for my Yugo sks.
Right now I have fiocci, wolf, and silver bear. Have only shot the wolf but I wasn't sighting it in just shootin. But I want to get a list down for my next range trip.
I'm lookin for accuracy cause these are both my hunting rifles.

Clifford L. Hughes
May 30, 2011, 05:14 PM
Nick9130white:

For your .308 Federal's American Eagle is good for target practice. For the
7.62X39 Wolf is good practice ammo. For hunting with the 7.62X39, Federal's American Eagle is excellent.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Marquezj16
May 30, 2011, 06:05 PM
Since your Saiga is a semi auto, it might be a characteristic to slightly dent the brass during extraction. Usually happens from the forceful ejection of the round.

For hunting, any most .308 rounds from Federal will do the job. My .308s favor Hornady.:cool:

big al hunter
May 31, 2011, 09:30 AM
Get as many different brands as you can and try them all. Use the one that is most accurate. Every rifle has its favorite load that will shoot better than all the others. My Ruger 77 in 338 win mag shoots almost anything well but it shoots federal premium 225 gr better than all other factory ammo. Almost as well as my best hand load taylored for the gun. My best group with the federal was 1 inch at 200 yards ( 1/2 MOA for a hunting gun is pretty good).

We can all tell you what shoots best in our gun but only your gun can tell you what it likes.:D

oneoldsap
May 31, 2011, 11:48 AM
HANDLOADS !

chris in va
May 31, 2011, 05:03 PM
All I can contribute is the fact my Yugo SKS did *not* like the Wolf hollowpoint ammo. Kept jamming on the chamber face. Probably doesn't apply as it's not technically a 'hunting' round, but still.

kraigwy
May 31, 2011, 07:47 PM
I wasn't sighting it in just shootin

That's confusing, did I miss read that or you shoot without sighting in?

Anyway, you ever thought it might be ther rifles and not the ammo?