PDA

View Full Version : need optics advice for this rifle

JGPena
January 31, 2011, 07:29 PM
Hi All,
I have this Husqvarna rifle with Mannlicher stock in .243 I bought a few years back. It came with this Lyman 4x All American "Perma Center" scope you see here. I want this as an all purpose hunting rifle(coyotes, deer, maybe hogs?)
I haven't shot it many times. Before I start popping rounds, I'd lke to hear opinions about this scope if anyone knows about it. Might this scope of this age still be reliable? Were old Lyman scopes high quality? Should I just leave this scope on it, or am I better off getting a new scope for this rifle? I'm new to big game hunting so I'd like to get input.

375NE
January 31, 2011, 07:43 PM
Great buy... shows a little style to be different... I got a Mannlicher with a 4x Perma-centre scope and went and bought a vintage Ziess so I could get a 6x scope... turns out that the Mannlicher liked the Perma-Centre due to it's tube length.... Nothing wrong with them at all... period scope with rifle. Later scopes will give longer eye relief and optional power increase... thats all... try this first, then decide.

enjoy

:D

.300 Weatherby Mag
January 31, 2011, 07:54 PM
There are two reasons to leave that scope on that rifle...

A. You don't have the $$ to replace it.
B. You like how it complements the classic look of the rifle.

Otherwise I would replace it with a modern optic..

pabuckslayer08
January 31, 2011, 08:02 PM
That scope probably still works but for a nice budget scope the Nikon Prostaff series is very good. On sale for 100 bucks at cabelas, for that price they are tough to beat

Saguaro Firearms
January 31, 2011, 10:53 PM
if that scope works id leave it on there, honestly thats a sexy lookin rifle, and to have a scope that fits the era of the rifle just makes it that much better,
sure you could go put a state if the art new piece of glass on it, but its not really gonna improve the rifle as long as that one works fine, my yote rifle is a 7mm08 with s straight 4 power scope, never needed anything more,
nice rifle bud

10mmAuto
January 31, 2011, 11:25 PM
2-7 power anything. Typically they have a look that will not ruin a rifle's aesthetic.

Saltydog235
February 1, 2011, 09:32 AM
That scope probably still works but for a nice budget scope the Nikon Prostaff series is very good. On sale for 100 bucks at cabelas, for that price they are tough to beat

Do you have no shame? That is a classy rifle with character and you advocate putting a cheap piece of Japanese crap glass on it.

I love a Manlichher rifle and wouldn't touch but since you're using it for a modern hunting rifle, show it some respect and put a nice Ziess or at least Leupold on it in the 2-7 or 3-9 range.

a7mmnut
February 1, 2011, 09:43 AM
Sweet piece! I've wanted one of those for years. The .243 will outperform the range of your scope, but it surely compliments the style of the rifle. You might try Ebay or some of the other sights for similar era steel tubed variables like the Lyman 4-12x, Redfield, Weaver, or Unertl variations. I have several "Jap pieces of crap" in the house, and none have ever let me down.

-7-

JGPena
February 1, 2011, 03:27 PM
thank you all for the input

Fusion
February 3, 2011, 06:55 PM
Do you have no shame? That is a classy rifle with character and you advocate putting a cheap piece of Japanese crap glass on it.

I love a Manlichher rifle and wouldn't touch but since you're using it for a modern hunting rifle, show it some respect and put a nice Ziess or at least Leupold on it in the 2-7 or 3-9 range. You do realize Leupold outsources their glass and it's not made in the US, right?

pabuckslayer08
February 3, 2011, 07:15 PM
Thank you Fusion, some people just think that if they dont use it or like it that its total garbage. Bit of a shame actually

Saltydog235
February 4, 2011, 08:14 AM
Neither is Ziess, but the point is not to put **** on the rifle and Nikon is ****.

pabuckslayer08
February 4, 2011, 08:34 AM
Zeiss is good I wont argue that, but man come on. More people use Nikon optics than any thing else out there. Not to say its the best target stuff but for a general hunter like 75 percent of these people and the other 20 percent just doing fun shooting they work great. Now for you select 5 percent maybe they arent up to spec but for us 95 percent they are plently. Now give it a rest, we know you dont like them

Saltydog235
February 4, 2011, 10:03 AM
More people use Nikon optics than any thing else out there. Not to say its the best target stuff but for a general hunter like 75 percent of these people and the other 20 percent just doing fun shooting they work great. Now for you select 5 percent maybe they arent up to spec but for us 95 percent they are plently. Now give it a rest, we know you dont like them

Pa,

Wrong I abhor Nikon. Nikon's poorly build product cost me a huge buck on two different occassions one with the breakage the first time and another after I had gotten the scope back from warranty for an entirely different problem. I will caution anyone at every turn when considering this company for a product that could result in missing a once in a lifetime trophy because of a broken erector spring or detached reticle or broken seals. This didn't happen on a Ultra Mag nor was the scope ever dropped or abused, in fact the scope looked new because I treated it with the utmost care just like the Sako 75 7mm08 it was mounted on.

Have fun with your "scopes", I hope you never have the issues that I did.

BTW, here's food for thought. Look at the attached, notice anything about the sections following new scopes in the Nikon section. Do you see a corresponding section in the Leupold or Ziess sections, do you wonder why?

http://www.natchezshooterssupply.com/optics.cfm?contentID=opticsType&opticsType=9&opticsClass=3&powerCategory=0&powerRange=0&objective=0&reticle=0&tubeDiameter=0&finish=0&mfg=NK&mfgName=Nikon&category=20

JerryM
February 4, 2011, 11:14 AM
Use it as is.
I would probably move the scope forward to prevent the half moon cut over the eye, but in .243 that shouldn't be a problem.

Regards,
Jerry

.300 Weatherby Mag
February 4, 2011, 10:37 PM
I prefer Zeiss and Leupold... I don't let any Philippine or Chinese built garbage live in my safe... Life is too short to use junk scopes... The best quality glass comes from the USA, Japan, Germany, and Austria... Not China or the Philippines...