PDA

View Full Version : Flash Suppressor

wpd8918
October 2, 2010, 01:02 PM
I am looking to replace the standard A2 flash suppressor on my bushmaster AR. My ultimate goal would be to reduce the flash and I understand there are a few good options out there (Smith Vortex, ACC Blackout, Phantom, a few different Surefires). I was wondering if any of these would also help to reduce the noise even if it is just a slight reduction. Anybody have any experience with these and notice any difference? I am speaking in regards to the perspective of the shooter in regards of reducing the flash and noise. What are your thoughts in general of these products?

SR420
October 2, 2010, 01:24 PM
Smith Enterprise DC Vortex - hands down favorite.

B. Lahey
October 2, 2010, 01:39 PM
There is not going to be any difference in sound levels, unless you go for a muzzlebrake / flash-hider combo, then it will be louder.

I have a vortex on my m14ish rifle. It was already going to Smith for a rebuild so I figured what the heck, throw one on there. It looks cool.:)

oldcspsarge
October 2, 2010, 07:32 PM
If a flash hider were to reduce the noise level you would have to pay a $ 200 transfer tax on it because it would be a supressor.

Depending on your State Law...you might want to consider that....supressors do eliminate flash and most of the noise !

Major Dave (retired)
October 2, 2010, 08:47 PM
Who are you "hiding" your muzzle flash from?

In other words, what difference does it make if your muzzle flash is visible?

Are you an LE SWAT sniper? Will someone be shooting back at you if they see your muzzle flash (unless, of course, you snuffed them out before they could return fire)?

Wild game doesn't shoot back, but I suppose if an alert animal was looking your way when you took a shot at it (and missed), it might spook it - not to mention the noise of the shot.

So, what gives with hiding the muzzle flash?:confused:

wpd8918
October 3, 2010, 06:19 AM
I am talking about reducing the flash and concussion from myself while I am shooting...

wpd8918
October 3, 2010, 07:42 AM
Ok, I understand what you are saying about if it reduces the noise any at all it becomes a suppressor. I guess I am looking to not necessarily reduce the noise but redirect the concussion away from myself while shooting to make it easier on my ears, and with the flash reduced, easier on my eyes too. I read online about this effect possibly from the vortex and from another product called the "flaming pig" but that one is only for SBR (I have a 16"). Can anyone speak on this?

1911rocks
October 3, 2010, 08:13 AM
Hider/Suppressors that project the report forward and away from the shooter. They most certainly do not change the report. They just deposit it out in front. I use to use the Levang Linear http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5594/Product/Levang_Linear_Compensator It did exactly what I wanted. It directed the sound away from the shooting bay/me.
Then I tried a Noveske KX3 http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24833/Product/AR_15_M16_KX3_FLASH_SUPPRESSOR on a RRA SBR I own. It's very good at directing the blast out front. 5.56 SBR BARK and need all the help they can get. I've tried the KX3 on my HBAR and it helps great deal. On the HBAR does it give me $90.00 more of what I want, I can't really tell the difference, however, other shooters on the adjacent bays say they notice a difference compared to the Levang.

kx592
October 3, 2010, 08:26 AM
I have to admit putting the RRA muzzle brake on my ar made it a hell of allot louder compared to the stock flash hider it came with.

wpd8918
October 3, 2010, 11:51 AM
Now I'm interested in this Levang Compensator. This seems to be maybe what I'm looking for. According to some reviews on the internet, they say that it redirects some of the noise away from the shooter and is either quieter or perceived to be quieter. Anyone on here have any input? What is the flash like with this thing?

SR420
October 3, 2010, 01:38 PM
wpd8918 I am talking about reducing the flash and concussion from myself while I am shooting...

That was made clear by your initial post.

The Smith Enterprise DC Vortex I mentioned in my first reply will do the trick, but if you want to step up to something better you need to consider a sound suppressor. I have a 0.30 caliber M14DC suppressor that reduces recoil, eliminates flash and reduces sound. I use it on my M14s and my 7.62 AKM. The M14DC fits all 0.30 caliber DC Vortex and the DC Vortex made for the 5.56mm.

Ridge_Runner_5
October 3, 2010, 03:31 PM
Smith Enterprise DC Vortex - hands down favorite.

Agreed!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/Shooting/DSC_0004.jpg