PDA

View Full Version : Barrel length .222 (muzzle report) volume??

pharmvet
February 13, 2010, 07:16 PM
I have a 722 Rem in .222 with a 26" barrel. I really enjoy shooting this rifle beacuse of its accuracy, low recoil, and low muzzle report (doesn't make my ears ring when I shoot it). I am planning on a semi custom .222 build and was comtemplating barrel length. Do you feel that my present rifle owes some of its low muzzle report (low volumn) to the 26" barrel or would a 24' have the same muzzle report?

TheManHimself
February 13, 2010, 09:17 PM
Cartridges being equal, a shorter barrel will always have more intense muzzle blast. Whether the difference is significant or even noticeable to you is up to your ears. Some people can tell the difference between an 18" SPR and 20" M16 barrel. Some people can't tell the difference between a 24" barreled .30-06 and a 16" barreled .308 Win.

Yes, a shorter barrel will be louder, but you'll have to listen to it yourself to see if it makes a difference to you or not. Either way, you should be shooting with ear protection. Even a .22lr will damage your hearing over time.

TomL
February 13, 2010, 09:30 PM
Years ago I had a Remington Mohawk in .222, I don't recall it having any kind of ferocious muzzle flash/noise. I hand loaded and used it as a primary shooter on whitetail deer, shot placement was key. It was as I remember a fun little rifle and caliber. Tom