PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance is not bliss (scopes)

Krieger9
November 20, 2009, 09:18 AM
I really need to get a scope for entertainment shooting for my AR15.

Been shooting quite a bit and realoading like crazy but I need something to get my groups tighter at 100yds, for skill and checking my ammo and my EoTech 1X isn't going to cut it.

Problem is I don't know much about what I need to face in choosing a scope for mounting requirements and durability. I'd like a starter and would probably get a better scope at a later time. I'd really like a 2.5 - 5X, don't know how large I would need the lens.

I don't have the carrying handle for my gun so would prefer to rail mount it.

What do I need to know and where can I find this information? Thanks

fyimo
November 20, 2009, 09:39 AM
I can't help you with the mounting on an AR15 as I don't own one. On scopes you get pretty much get what you pay for in terms of the quality of optics. I would stick with brands like Nikon, Bushnell Elte series or Leupold as they all have great optics.

I would go with a 2x7x40mm or even a 3x9x40mm or a good fixed power in 6X. The higher magnification makes seeing the target at 100 yards much easier and helps you in target aquisition. The better you see the target the better your aim will be. The AR15 is not a heavy recoiling rifle so depending on your budget I would get a Leupold Vari X II, Bushnell Elite 4200, or Nikon Monarch if you want to spend $300.

If you want to spend $200 I would go with a Nikon prostaff, Bushnell Elite 3200, or a Leupold Vari X I.

On Ebay it's pretty easy to get a Leupold Vari X II for around $200 and they come with a no questions asked lifetime quarantee whether you are the first owner or the 10th owner. You can get a 2x7x40mm for slightly less then a 3x9x40mm.

By the way Auctions on Ebay & GB are a good place to get deals on scopes

crimsondave
November 20, 2009, 10:33 AM
I have VX-I, VX-II, and VX-III and I can tell you that the dif. in quality between the VX-I and VX-II is substantial. You would be much better off with a used VX-II than a VX-I. The VX-I is a 2 piece scope. Not nearly as much dif. between the VX-II and III.

I have a Bush. 4200 as well. It's a good low light scope, but I prefer the Leupold for target shooting. It is clearer to me and the eye relief is much better. I guess eye relief does not matter as much on an AR, but it just feels more natural to me.

Most people like Monarchs. I had one that I traded + $$$ for a Leupold due to poor eye relief on the Nikon.

If you look on Midway at their mounts, they have a bunch that are reviewed by buyers. Nice to get opinions of owners before you buy.
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=10&categoryId=11919&categoryString=657***8705***12681***11692***

tINY
November 20, 2009, 03:47 PM
You'll need high or extra high rings, or some kind of riser.

Warne makes good ones.

-tINY

brian923
November 20, 2009, 04:32 PM
i have used rigns, risers with rings and have come to find that a 1 piece riser and ring setup is the way to go. it can be taken off the top of the rail to use your irons, and then put back on with little to no zero shift.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=117862

this is the one i have. it works very well, i can leave the knurled knobs finger tight, and shoot 1/4 inch groups with it. i can take the mounted scope off the rifle to hunt coyotes, remount the scope, again finger tight, and be within 1/2 inch of my previous cold bore shot. i like it. if you go over to midwayusa.com, you can find a lot more products. brian.

try to keep away from using rings mounted on a riser. i was never able to getthe rifle to maintain a zero with that setup. my guess was to many parts. one soild piece is the way to go.

Palmetto-Pride
November 20, 2009, 05:52 PM
I just put scope on my AR-15. I assume you have flattop receiver if so then any weaver type or picatinny mount will as long as it is high enough that the scope bell is just above the receiver. I put a Nikon 3-9x50 and used Burris high extreme tactical rings on mine.

NSO_w/_SIG
November 20, 2009, 05:58 PM
First what is your budget?

Even if you do get a budget scope to start I'd get a high quality mount from Larue that you could keep your budget scope in until you get the one you really want. Many people like to spend all their money on the scope itself and go cheap on the mount. Honsetly I'd rather have a quality mount than a top end scope.

bobn
November 20, 2009, 06:14 PM
bsquare makes decent risers blocks, will not break the bank. bobn

bcarver
November 20, 2009, 07:03 PM
I like expensive scopes but walmart sells a cheap scope called Centerpoint 4x16 with 50mm bell for less than 100 bucks.
money buys three things in scopes.
1 recoil resistance(not needed for ar)
2 clarity
3 low light/high glare functionability.(needed for hunting more so than targetshooting)

The ar is not going to "punish" a scope.
You may lose 30 minutes of range time at end and begins of day.

Palmetto-Pride
November 20, 2009, 07:10 PM
For under $200.00 you can get a Nikon Pro-staff 3-9x 50mm way better than that Wal-Mart Centerpoint junk.

ronl
November 20, 2009, 07:55 PM
Just a few questions as to your AR. What length barrel, make is it? What are the size of the groups you are currently shooting? How long have you been shooting the AR?

Edward429451
November 20, 2009, 08:02 PM
I scoped my AR with a Burris Fullfield II 3 X 9 X 40 and even though I just use it for testing ammo it has given me no trouble. It has 4 crosshairs for use out to 500 yards Ballisti-Plex or something like that. Good system. ~200 dollars

olyinaz
November 20, 2009, 08:29 PM
I agree with you that you should start with something "good enough" and then move on to something kick butt if you decide that you like scoped shooting. I decided to take the scope back off my AR as I just don't like shooting it (it's an M4 type carbine) with a scope. If I get a long barrel AR I'll certainly want to put a scope on it.

If you stick with something from Nikon or in the Bushnell Elite line you'll do fine and the quality will be good enough to last and hold zero.

Best,
Oly

JDG
November 20, 2009, 09:01 PM
For all out target shooting, a Weaver T24 will tighten up your groups! That, or you will think an earthquake is always shaken your rifle:p Very good scope for $350, with a proven tracking system if ya like twisting turrets.