PDA

View Full Version : Precision Shooting reports on Midway A&B barrels

Hammer1
November 11, 2008, 06:25 AM
Precision Shooting is not normally associated with MidwayUSA A&B barrels but with barrels like Shilen, Hart, Lilja, Kreiger, etc.

Precision Shooting is normally associated with reporting Tony Boyer adding more Hall of Fame points to his already three-digit number by winning the 2008 IBS National Heavy Varmint Championship with a 100 & 200 yard grand aggregate of 0.1697 (the next four closest competitors shot 0.2120, 0.2148, 0.2240, and 0.2246).

But in the November 2008 issue there happens to be two independent reports on MidwayUSA Adams & Bennett barrels.

In one article by Raymond Woolcey, a MidwayUSA A&B barrel in 6.5 x 55 Improved was used on a 1909 Argentine Mauser with a Nikon 4X scope. With the A&B barrel, fifteen groups averaged less than one inch with Hornady 140-grain Interlocks, a hunting bullet.

In a different article by Stephen Boxford, an A&B barrel in 221 Fireball was used on a pre-AccuTrigger Savage. With 35 to 50 grain Hornady and Nosler bullets, the A&B barrel produced lots of groups less than half inch.

Not suggesting that these will be the averages of A&B barrels. Not suggesting that these barrels will win benchrest Super Shoots or Camp Perry, but these group reports in Precision Shooting are better than some would expect from the Midway A&B barrels.

taylorce1
November 11, 2008, 07:29 AM
I used an A&B barrel on my .375 Ruger, and haven't been disappointed in it. I got the blank from Midway as well on a closeout special for $75. I probably would not use a A&B barrel again on a custom build, but I wasn't even sure I'd like the .375 Ruger and the deal on the barrel was too good to pass up. I'll probably try them again on my Savage if I ever decide to re-barrel it to something else.