PDA

View Full Version : refinishing an old rifle... options ??? French Grey ??? Electroless nickle, or what ?

Magnum Wheel Man
August 26, 2008, 02:20 PM
I'm looking for a metal finish for my new Rolling Block, once it gets the barrel installed...

I want something durable, & rust resistant ( my hands sweat alot )... the gun may see alot of bench time next summer, as I expect I'll really love shooting it...

so I've been considering alternative coatings & platings...

anyone have any suggestions for bluish, black or mat silver coatings or platings that would prove to be very durable & corrosion resistant ???

anyone have any exprience with this "french grey" coating ???

http://www.eabco.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=714-106

ISC
August 26, 2008, 02:27 PM
I've had good luck with cold galvanizing spray. It is a zinc based spray paint that is absolutely corrosion resistant and cheap. I've used it as a primer underneath temp resistant flat black spray paint (engine block paint) and I've also used it by itself and just coated it with oil after baking it in the oven at about 200 degrees for about an hour. When done the second way it ends up looking like a real light fresh parkerizing, it just doesn't turn greenish with age like parkerizing does.

I got cans of the stuff when I welded so it's available at any welding supply store for less than $5/can. I bet they have it at Lowes too. A plus for this is that it's easy to touch up and actually protects the metal.

Magnum Wheel Man
August 26, 2008, 02:44 PM
also... if I chose traditional deep blueing... who was that listed here that had some guns reblued that the shop did a "real mile deep" blueing job ???

ISC
August 26, 2008, 02:56 PM
also, maybe you should look into browning it instead of bluing it.

Wildebees
August 26, 2008, 02:59 PM
MWM,

This appears to be interesting stuff, and as long as it is kept out of the barrel, and as long as it lasts as long as deep oxidising black blueing it may be something to consider. Have you mentioned it at The Smithy?

Bill DeShivs
August 26, 2008, 03:08 PM
That "French Gray" appears to be regular copper/nickel plating over a bead blasted finish. Electroless nickel is a better option.
I would suggest hard chrome as the ultimate finish without getting into the nitrides.

Magnum Wheel Man
August 26, 2008, 03:44 PM
still looking for some places that could do a good deep traditional blueing... also so far have not found anyone that can do a traditional Brown

anyone got any exprience with this ??? Diamondkoat

http://www.mrarms.com/colors.html

Magnum Wheel Man
August 27, 2008, 07:21 AM
I'm also looking at electroless nickel with black chrome over the top... that might have that deep dark gloss, but improved durability over traditional deep blueing...

... & it was that "mile deep" blueing on the barrel, coupled with the gorgous wood that caught my eye in the 1st place... if I could get that color uniform on the reciever the new octogon barrel, & the scope & bases, the gun would be stunning with that wood...

I wonder if that dark gun blue Diamond Kote would look good... I think they could do the scope & external adjust bases with that stuff... but thier website doesn't offer very good pics... I don't want the old girl to have that "cheap painted lady" look :D

Dezynco
August 27, 2008, 09:15 AM
I think the "French Grey" would look great, and would have a bit of a traditional look. I've seen a few Rollers and old Sharps that were "in the white", instead of blued.

It would look really nice and sorta traditional to "grey" the reciever, but "blue" the barrel. You've me thinking about my Roller that's at the gunsmith now, I might just call him and ask him to do just that to mine!

Magnum Wheel Man
August 27, 2008, 09:37 AM
It would look really nice and sorta traditional to "grey" the reciever, but "blue" the barrel.

I agree... that french grey on the reciever, & a "mile deep" blue on the barrel would look awesome...but then what to do with the scope & bases... ( if I could get them coated to match the barrel ??? ) I don't mind the 2 tone look ( but I wouldn't want to detract from that awesome wood )... but also wouldn't want to end up with 3-4 shades of blue / black / grey, by the time I add the scope & bases, if they are not finishable in how I do either the barrel & or the reciever...

Dezynco
August 27, 2008, 10:07 AM
If you're still thinking about using the "Malcolm-style" scope and bases, I think you'll be OK in the looks department. If you're thinking of using a modern scope, you'll still be OK because it won't look just right anyway!:D

You might consider steel scope rings and having them finished the same as the barrel, but I don't think you'll really notice slight differences anyway.

I wouldn't use a high polish on the barrel, use more of a matte finish or a "low luster" for two reasons: 1. It tends to glare too much if you ever choose to use open sights someday. 2. It doesn't look traditional, it tends to look too "customized". That's just my opinion, I have seen some really pretty blueing on shotguns and bolt action rifles, but would rather have a low gloss on my Rolling Block.

Magnum Wheel Man
August 27, 2008, 10:12 AM
got a question for ya on my other thread about those scopes... if you've got any expirience with them...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307059&page=2

Dezynco
August 27, 2008, 11:20 AM
I don't personally have any experience with them, but I've heard that the scopes are pretty decent. However, if you rebarrel the rifle in one of the big calibers, it is recommended that you purchase the heavy duty base and have it installed. If you'll look at www.buffaloarms.com and look for the scopes, they'll show all the options available for this scope.

I have thought about putting one of those on my RB, but haven't decided yet. I mostly use the Soule target sight and globe front sight. Those are expensive enough! Works great though!

Magnum Wheel Man
August 27, 2008, 11:30 AM
thanks for looking...

I just want to keep all the Remington "business" ( patent dates etc. ) on the tang unmolested & visible... otherwise I'd go with a tang sight as well...

I thought about reciever sights, but my stock is set up for a cheek weld at scope height... so those scopes make the most sense in my situation with this rifle...

I'd think with either the 32-40 or 38-55/ 56 that I could paint adjustment lines for sight in at 100, 200, & 300 yards with pretty good repeatability ???

tplumeri
August 27, 2008, 11:59 AM
thanks! the links for finishes are just what i needed!

BTW
i like the french grey for the receiver. agree that blue barrel is the way to go(or black if you want to match a scope).
the diamondkoat is perfect for the scope, in gun metal grey or matte black.

Magnum Wheel Man
August 27, 2008, 12:04 PM
TP... what are you working on ???

BTW... got mit load of others bookmarked right now... if you want anything specific...

Magnum Wheel Man
August 27, 2008, 12:49 PM
they are pretty vague with the info on the French Grey coating... from the pics... I wonder if this is the same process ???

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/Metalife%20Finish%20Page%202.htm

CraigC
August 27, 2008, 01:46 PM
That "french gray" finish in the link looks like hard chrome. A true french gray finish, like those offered on Shiloh rifles, is actually no finish at all but bare steel.

Turnbull does traditional browning but it ain't cheap. He is also a source of bluing other than modern hot salt.

tplumeri
August 27, 2008, 04:48 PM
TP... what are you working on ???

i have an old redfield 2x LEE that i want to mount on my blued python.
i've blasted it and sprayed it 3 times but it always looks like a "home job". not nice enough for the colt.
thinking I'll send it for diamondkoat matte black. 35 bucks, ive spent more than that in "custom" spraypaint!:o
also have an old redfield rifle scope that was plated to look like stainless. that one gets the french job!
then we can start on the enfield, all french!
tom

Magnum Wheel Man
August 27, 2008, 04:50 PM
not a bad idea... I have a bunch of old scopes, or oddities of the color spectrum myself...