PDA

View Full Version : Need help spending some money!

NukeCop
January 30, 2008, 01:36 PM
So, I picked up an M1A awhile back, and had fun with it's iron sights, but recently decided to get some glass for it. I've got some brands/models I'm looking at, but I still want suggestions!

What I'm looking at:
Super Sniper 10X
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 X 40
Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II Tactical Rifle Scope

Thats all for now, anyone have some suggestions under $450.00?
I'm looking to shoot about 600-700 meters.
I don't need something tacti-cool.

thanks! :)

rr2241tx
January 30, 2008, 04:44 PM
Start here and drill till you find an answer you are happy with: http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5748&view=next

SOSARMS
January 30, 2008, 05:01 PM
Just installed Nikon Buckmaster on my BAR 7mm couple days ago. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but looks like a very good scope for the $$$ ....just what you'd expect from a Nikon optical product.....

Big Caliber
January 30, 2008, 10:23 PM
I've got 3 Nikon Monarchs that I'm very happy with. The Super Sniper 10x has a good reputation but the 16x & 20x scopes don't, or so I've read. Try sniffing out the Elite scopes by Bushnell, you may be surprised. Or you can always join the Loopy Brigade.:p You really can't go wrong with any of these scopes. I rejected the Leupolds only because I wanted something different.

tINY
January 30, 2008, 11:44 PM
Since the stock has a low cheekrest for the irons, getting a scope that will mount low is crucial.

Something with a small occular bell and an objective smaller than 33mm is good. Think 4 or 6 times mag, fixed....

Unless you want to spend a lot more money on a new stock.

And don't skimp on the mounts - anything that doesn't user the stripperclip dovetail won't be stable. Expect to pay $200 or more for a mount.

-tINY

bobn
January 31, 2008, 10:02 AM
tiny is correct with the stock advice. i tried two different expensive mounts along with a cheek piece. funny thing was due to the excellent iron sights and configuration of the m1a stock it did not shoot better groups with glass. yes i could see the target better but no difference in groups sizes! lol. i found that using a sling and building a consistant posistions (like hipower shooters use) did more for accuracy than the glass did.
,,,,,sorry for the book just trying to save you alot of dissapointment. see if you can shoot someone elses rig first to see if you prefer it that way....bobn

SR420
January 31, 2008, 10:47 AM
The standard USGI M14 stock is designed for iron sights.
Many have successfully used optics with an add-on cheek
rest, but it's not an ideal set up. If you want the very best
optics platform for the M14 type rifle look at the LAW483
MCS from TROY and the SAGE EBR. These stocks address
issues with M14 optics better than all others.

NukeCop
January 31, 2008, 03:12 PM
Hey thanks for all the input! Yea I picked up the SADLAK steel mount. It got nothing but good reviews. I'm just having trouble deciding how much magnifaction I'm wanting. I was thinking a fixed 10 would be the best. I've never had a Nikon or a loopy, and both are tempting for sure. Any other M1A owners out there that can give me a push?

SR420
January 31, 2008, 04:32 PM
http://www.crazyhorserifles.com/images/M21A5_C-IED_R_864.JPG

spctim11
January 31, 2008, 07:26 PM
http://www.swfa.com/pc-8352-184-bushnell-10x40-elite-3200-rifle-scope.aspx

This is all you need and it saves you money for ammo.

NukeCop
February 1, 2008, 04:59 AM
Hows that bushnell hold up? It looks like a decent scope. Right up my alley. But thats a hella nice rig you got there SR420. Since I donthave a rockstar paycheck yet I'll have to be a bit more frugal! That yours?