PDA

View Full Version : Checking used rifles

bcrash15
April 16, 2007, 08:32 PM
I recently aquired a good looking used Remington 700 - .300 win mag. I am wondering what people's view are on checking used firearms. I have already put a couple boxes of ammo through it, but I just want to verify for my peace of mind that it's in good shape.

I'm probably going to have a gunsmith take a look at it to make sure everything is in order. Headspace seems like it would be the most critical, but should other things be checked? Does anyone have any ballpark figures of what I might expect to be charged for a check-up on a modern bolt action? Thanks in advance!

bobn
April 16, 2007, 08:50 PM
here are some do it yourself checks> examine the fired brass. if the primer has not backed out of the pocket, pierced a hole in it, or is not burnt black around the edges, you are partially there! next couple of things to check> is the case neck split? are there serious length way scratches or gouges in the body? finnally to make sure the neck of the chamber is not to tight, insert a bullet in the mouth of a fired case. it should fit right in.
....if these simple look sees checked out, your firearm's chamber, headspace, neck, and firing pin are probably in pretty good condition. finally push a slightly oiled patch down the bore, if it seems to go smoothly without jerks or skips i would generally say you got a winner. bobn

Jimro
April 16, 2007, 08:53 PM
Have the chamber and throat checked for metal buildup.

Jimro

bcrash15
April 16, 2007, 09:40 PM
thanks for the replies!

well, the fired brass looks pretty much similar to a new cartridge, except for the exterior surface being duller looking from the tip to just above the belt, which I imagine is just a byproduct of firing, but I never noticed one way or the other on my previous guns. Definitely no buldging or case failures or anything. A new bullet won't just slip in, but if I push with a light to moderate amount of force it will slide in (it's a lot easier than it would be to pull a bullet out of an unfired cartridge.) I didn't notice anything irregular in the bore when I was cleaning it the last time either, I guess in those regards it is in fairly good shape.

jrothWA
April 18, 2007, 12:37 AM
Remington, that the rifle is not subject to the trigger recall.
Espcially, if made prior to 1982

bcrash15
April 19, 2007, 01:00 PM
I got some info via serial # from Remington, it is a 1992 model. They didn't mention anything about it and the information I am turning up seems to say the problem was cleared up by then, but it seems like it was a pretty big issue on the older models.

Does $50-60 seem like an honest price for going over the gun? Checking headspace, chamber and throat, and anything else that a gunsmith might do? I wasn't quoted this by anyone, I am just trying to know what I should expect.

taylorce1
April 19, 2007, 01:31 PM
I think it is $45 for a firearm check at my local shop which includes a good cleaning. I really don't get too many of my rifles checked out by a gunsmith, I pull the barreled action from the stock and clean the rifle. I then take a box of factory loads and go shoot the rifle and inspect the cases for stress. I've never had a problem doing this, but if I buy a rifle that was known to have problems then I'll take it in and have it checked.

I generaly take old Military Surplus rifles in to have them checked out and only had a problem once. I took an old 1916 Mauser in because it had been rebarreled to 7.62 NATO, it failed a check with go/no-go guages so I didn't keep the rifle. I could have had the problem fixed but was more money than I wanted to spend on the rifle.

Another rifle I had checked was a Savage 110 I bought at a gun show that had been rebarreled from .30-06. I was told by the guy I bought it from that it was a .280 Rem, but he had only traded for it and since the caliber wasn't stamped on the barrel I had it checked. I had the smith stamp the caliber into the barrel after he confirmed it was a .280.

bcrash15
April 19, 2007, 07:05 PM
That sounds like what most people seem to do. Honestly, I am pretty comfortable with the gun's condition. I would just like to get the headspace checked, because I have heard that sometimes the belted magnums can have some strange headspace problems (more of a problems with reloads I guess, which I haven't started shooting yet). And it seems like all the gauges I have found cost more than it would cost to take it in to a smith.

taylorce1
April 19, 2007, 09:02 PM
My shop will check headspace for free if that is all you want and if they have the gages. If it is a common caliber magnum they should have a set around the shop. If it is something outside the norm you are better off buying your own set of gages.

hoghunting
April 19, 2007, 09:15 PM
If the brass looks normal, I would give the gun a good cleaning. Chances are the previous owner didn't enjoy the recoil and didn't shoot it much - as with most magnums. Clean it well and try different ammo until you find an accurate loading. Check the once-fired brass length and if it is within spec, just shoot your rifle.