PDA

View Full Version : Newest AK build

Trapp
February 28, 2007, 03:22 PM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23133&stc=1&d=1172694106 Screw built from a Rommy G parts kit. US trigger assembly (TAPCO G2) US Piston, Global Trades receiver, waiting on US Krink style muzzle break, US floorplate and mag follower. Forestock is a modified Rommy to fit my hand. Buttstock is from a Yugo RPK. All wood refinshed in Bombay Mohagany Poly Blend. I have about 4 AK's that need the metal refinshed. I am waiting on getting a sandblaster for the house. The military has issues with me bringing gun parts to work (go figure!!:confused: ) I think it will have the HK Black Duracoat, but not finally decided. The sling is an issued gray AK sling, not sure wich country.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23134&stc=1&d=1172694106

Hedley
February 28, 2007, 04:15 PM
Is that the PolyShades 2-in-1 Poly and stain? Last time I was at the Depot, I thought about picking some up for a woodworking project I was doing. Looks good. Is a screw build an alternative to a builder who doesn't have the modified bolt-cutters? Is it any easier?

HorseSoldier
February 28, 2007, 04:17 PM
Very very nice looking wood.

Trapp
February 28, 2007, 04:30 PM
Hedley, It sure is. I use the Satin kind. As far as easier....that is subject to debate. Less tooling required, definatly.

These are my basic steps (PM me if you want more details):
1: Remove old receiver pieces. I do this with a grinder. Not pretty when you slip and gouge some metal, but who cares these are all mine!!
2: get the rivets out of the old trunnion. This takes a bit of work. I use a drill press and a hydraulic press. The first one I did was with punches and a hand drill :eek:
3: Remove barrel pin and barrel. A $20 puller from Auto Zone works greatfor getting the barrel out of the trunnion.
4: Remove front trunnion rivets. These are easy with the barrel out of the way. Barrel removal is not necessary, but it makes life a lot easier.
5: Drill holes in new receiver. This is the hardest for me. I just can't seem to get them in the right spot. I end up using a dremel to egg them out correctly.
6: Tap front and rear trunnions
7: install barrel into front trunnion. This is accomplshed with a heavy duty I-beam clamp.
8: Screw together as a dry fit. disassemble. screw together with red locktite after everything is kosher on fitment.

Go Out and shoot......Wait....I haven't shot any of my last 4 builds :( :( No range close by!!!