PDA

View Full Version : $ 320 decent-fair-good price for Rem 700?

tarheellefty
October 24, 2006, 03:56 PM
I am just starting to look for a short action rifle to use the action for a F class rifle for my son. I'm brand new to the idea . we shot this weekend;my sons 223 savage (STOCK) held great elevation (x ring (6 inches ) 10 in a row and 10 ring (12 inches) 38 of 40 shots (2 20 shot strings)) but even a mild wind whipped him bad. so I'm thinking of a 6mmBR in a short action and a laminated Fclass /benchrest type stock. I looked on auction arms and guns america, I didn't see as many "donor type" rifles as expected.What I saw was more long action /magnum. I stopped at a local store and saw a Synthetic stocked Remmy 700 in 308 for $320 . It was in good enough shape that I'd almost feel guilty (key word is ALMOST) about stripping it- I just want action and trigger. After surfing the 'net and calling couple shops, I got the idea that so many people are looking for "donors " I might not do a lot better . Fortunately I have time . NO patience , but time . I would consider Remmy, Winchester ( unlikely , everyone thinks they're solid gold since "no more will ever be made" ), or Savage . I think I'll ask my gunsmith about getting a new Savage hunting package for the action , accu-trigger , and a cheap scope (useful for something else - kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone ). I welcome y'alls opinion too. I'm not going top of the line , but the target is along the lines of the article on 6mmBR.com about a $1200 rifle ( good read).
TIA

TPAW
October 24, 2006, 09:52 PM
Fair, Sports Authority by me has the Rem. 700 ADL with synthetic stock and cheek piece with scope in 30.06 for $369.

tarheellefty
October 25, 2006, 12:11 PM
I assume that has the trigger lock? That's lower than I thought it would be; I figured only model 710s (pressed barrels, no good for project) would start new with a 3.....thanks for info.

GeoW
October 25, 2006, 02:41 PM
Never.... NEVER, shoot the donor. :D

GeoW

joshua
October 25, 2006, 03:33 PM
I've done the searching for a donor rifle before and most I found wanted $350 or more for a short action that has been used. If you find something below that and the action is good then it's a very fair price. I've heard of people selling their used Ren 700 rifles for less than $300, buy those are hard to come by. josh

tarheellefty
October 25, 2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the post Josh . I really wanted to hear from folks who've been there ,done that. It makes me think of my brother buying an old Jeep CJ last year. If it had a frame and a tile, it was 4 digits. either one alone was worth $500.
I looked 3 years for a used LH M70; I gave up last yr and bought a new one right before they announced going to shut down . All new ones evaporated . Everyone thinks they have a gold mine (like beanie babies ). fortunately Ihave time - NO PATIENCE , but time:)

essexcounty
October 26, 2006, 12:24 PM
After my experience with my last three 700s, I'd go Savage. Remington QC is nothing like it esed to be. You can make a Savage shoot with much less effort. (read money) Yep they're homley!...........Essex

castnblast
October 26, 2006, 12:36 PM
Have you considered a HOWA? I've owned several remmys, (still do) and the Howa I bought is as good, if not better than any remmy I've ever shot. See a previous post regarding them from about a week ago. 22 posts, and not one single negative comment. The triggers are easy to adjust, have 3 position safety, and I'm getting 3/8" groups w no custom work outside of my own trigger adjustment, and shooting my reloads. They are worth a look. They built the action for the Weatherby Vangard. The 1500 serries is the same gun.

tarheellefty
October 26, 2006, 10:03 PM
No, I haven't really considered a Howa .Don't know much about them . Someone told me they were made in Japan ; my mind slammed shut. I refuse on principle to buy a rifle made by someone that's not allowed to own it . maybe refuse is too strong ( I own a norinco ) , but I will explore my other options 1st . I also do not wnt to be a groundbreaker Example - Ruger 77s - I've been to matches for years; I've never seen a Ruger match rifle . They could've been there , but noone has ever answered "ruger" when I asked. I don't build these , Ipay for someone else to . And I have no patience for something that doesn't work as intended . I'm a big believer in collective wisdom . I've yet to see a Howa match rifle either . Mine won't be the 1st. let me know how any you see shoots .

davlandrum
October 27, 2006, 01:24 PM
Tarheel,

Rem doesn't put the stupid J-lock on the triggers anymore. I am sure someone here knows exactly when they stopped. I have a Rem 7400 with the lock and a 700 sps (bought this year) with no lock.

castnblast
October 27, 2006, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't close your mind so fast. Can you say Winchester? Yes, they built guns for them too...:cool:

Jimro
October 27, 2006, 01:46 PM
320 is a good price for a short action Rem700.

But why not simply rebarrel the 223 savage? The savage action has a faster locktime than the rem and it's a cheaper solution to boot.

Jimro

joshua
October 27, 2006, 05:48 PM
The Rem 700 is a proven winner. Why just look around how much after market parts and gunsmithing tools available for it. I'm sure you can make a Winchester 70 push action as accurate as a Rem700, but the ease of working with the cylindrical action having a separate recoil lug is easier to work with then one such as Ruger77 or Win 70 action. The Savage falls under the same category as the Rem700 and I'm thinking the Howa is too. I've heard a lot of good things about Savage rifles, but I still haven't seen them dominate a division in rifle competition. I'm not sure why a lot of hearsay of low QC of Rem 700 rifles, but everyone's advice when the question of what action is best for custom rifle, the Rem 700 keeps popping up. josh

tarheellefty
October 27, 2006, 07:49 PM
Dave - thanks for info re: trigger locks . I was unaware they quit (a solution to a non-existant problem IMO).I don't pay much attention to the hunting rifle market. (until I want something:p )

castnblast- a good friend has a really sweet browning 22- made in Japan. Like shooting it . But I wouldn't buy one .....

Jimro- My savage is still going strong; I don't have a 1000 rounds through it . I shoot it at a club 10 yard benchrest (for score - I don't do BR for groups. Just a little too much of an equipment oriented thing for me ) . And the rifles are low priced enough I can buy a package gun -Savage hunting rifle w/ a basic scope in the mid 300 range - that I can buy another one cheaper than changing the bolt and buying a SERIOUS target barrel (post on another thread said a PAC-NOR barrel ready to put on a Savage was $340 ( check out my other thread if you haven't yet ). And in a law /no wind condition , the Savage is GREAT ! and cheaper to shoot ...

Joshua- I keep seeing polls about "what rifle you using ? " . Remmys are usually at the top for built guns . I see a lot of posts though saying Savage for a "buy it and shoot it " person . They're that good . Check out national-match.com for lots of good info . That site is all competition oriented . And I have seen lots of posts saying how some clubs keep a Savage 308 for a "loaner " if a new person wants to try a match (slow prone 600 yards out ) .
At htis point , I have time (again NO PATIENCE, but time). whatever I find a deal on Savage or Remmy , is probably what I'll go with . Although I heard from a friend that one of his friends saw a a great unfired Winchester model 70 in the barn next to the 64 Corvette he just bought from some old lady:rolleyes:
Thanks for the posts.