PDA

View Full Version : Hottest factory .357 load for hunting?

Capp35
September 20, 2006, 10:46 AM
Preasure should not be a problem, since it will be used in a Marlin 1894 rifle. (which I just got, pre-saftey)

I see Buffalo has some 158gr JHP that they claim is in the same league as a 30-30.

Another question is what bullet type. I hunted with a pistol about 20 years ago, and thought I remembered using FMJ bullets.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Invicta
September 20, 2006, 12:00 PM
Buffalo Bore probably has the most powerful .357mag ammo around. A lot of high-powered handgun hunting loads use hardcast lead bullets for maximum penetration. Corbon also has some pretty hot 357 ammo.

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#357
http://www.corbon.com/

roscoe
September 20, 2006, 11:57 PM
Also check DoubleTap and Grizzley. What are you hunting? Are you sure you need hardcast?

skeeter1
September 21, 2006, 12:19 AM
I've used Winchester 145gr Silvertip hollow points in my Marlin 1894C, because they seemed like the most impressive things in my S&W M66. Problem is, I had some FTL problems in the Marlin. You'll have to pick up a few different boxes and go to the range and see which one your particular gun works best with.

What I can tell you (and this is straight out of the owner's manual for the 1894C) is DO NOT use the aluminum-cased CCI Blazers in it. Even the brass-cased full-on .357 Magnum ammo I've used in it commonly end up with bulged cases.

tINY
September 21, 2006, 01:59 AM
It depends what you are hunting.

But for anything bigger than a woodchuck, I'd be looking at hot-loaded 170 and 180 grain bullets.

-tINY

Capp35
September 21, 2006, 07:41 AM
I'd be hunting smaller whitetail, spikes and does. (I'll use my 7mag for trophys :p ).
I picked up one of the older models with the micro-groove boring and was told cast does not work well.

What about the 180gr Winchester Supreme Partition Gold? The bullet is made by Nosler.

garryc
September 21, 2006, 10:49 AM
I picked up one of the older models with the micro-groove boring and was told cast does not work well.

In my experiance that is correct. I've seen three deer killed with speer gold dot 158's. they worked well