PDA

View Full Version : How much does manufacturer actually matter?

screej
June 10, 2006, 08:30 PM
I am in the market for a new m4. I was wondering how much it really mattered to get a Colt or if I should just go with the Bushmaster.

TPAW
June 10, 2006, 09:50 PM
It all depends on what your looking for and why? A Ford, Chevy, Caddy, Rolls Royce or Bently will all kill you just as dead if your hit hard enough! ;)

DanV1317
June 11, 2006, 09:49 PM
there are reliable bushmasters and unreliable bushmasters. Same with colts. If you want the most reliable, i wouldn't get a match grade. They are more accurate by a tad, but everything is also tighter in them, so they would be more prone to jamming. Get a colt if you have the money, if not, get a bushmaster.

BusGunner007
June 13, 2006, 01:41 AM
Why an M4?
How much money do you wish to spend?
Does bbl. twist affect your decision?

More info to get answers and more questions to better serve you --- this is our quest!
:D

gdm
June 13, 2006, 09:48 AM
yes and no..manufacturer matters but why pay more for the name? every manufacturer makes a lemon now and again but you want the gun built right,made from quality components.

that said, My bushmaster works fine.I initially had an issue with it but that was because I removed the gas key and didnt re-install the screws correctly.they were peen'd,mine are now semi-permanent.all of them have a gas key that is screw'd on and peen'd in place.loose keys cause alot of problems.

theres also the question of getting all forged parts,some folks its not a problem.bushmaster is all forged,colt probably also but some of the colts pins are bigger and cant be interchanged with other lower/upper receiver combinations should you decide to have 2 uppers...1 shorty xm style,1 varmit style or a dedicated 22 long rifle upper.this is main reason I went with bushmaster,the uppers are interchangable with any standard uppers...and costs much less as well.

colt is a good gun,but for my purposes,I went with a bushmaster.

MisterPX
June 13, 2006, 09:49 AM
As far as "manufacturer's", keep in mind that most "AR companies" use parts made for them by either LMT or CMT. That Stag lower could be off the same line as that Bushmaster, Armalite, etc.

screej
June 15, 2006, 08:03 PM
thanks guys