PDA

View Full Version : What is the best .22 rifle?

duckcallinfool
April 2, 2006, 09:17 PM
Personnaly I own 2 Ruger 10/22's. I have a el cheapo Birch and blued. My wife's is a Stainless and Birch. Both scoped up. I will probably be adding another stainless to our arsenal for my daughters 13th birthday.

We also have a Remington Speedmaster and two Crickets (the perfect training rifle IMHO)

Just curious what other people prefer.

Death from Afar
April 2, 2006, 09:30 PM
For a semi auto: 10/22
Bolt Action: Anchutze or Kimber
Lever: Marlin39a

Jack O'Conner
April 3, 2006, 08:55 AM
I've always liked Ruger 96 lever action for accurasy. I'm shooting dime sized groups at 100 yards with the new .17 cartridge!
Jack

Te Anau
April 3, 2006, 01:10 PM
For general use,you just cant beat anything made by Savage.

Tommy Vercetti
April 3, 2006, 01:13 PM
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/60SS.aspx

Clayfish
April 3, 2006, 04:49 PM
The wife bought me a browning bl-22 for Christmas. It is absolutly the best.22 I've ever shot.

FirstFreedom
April 3, 2006, 05:12 PM
There are so many good ones, it's hard to say. But some of the better values out there, IMO, are....

-in a semi-auto, Marlin model 60 is outstanding. The Rem 552 speedmaster is also interesting/unique in that it can feed shorts & longs too.
-in a levergun, both the Marlin 39A and the Browning BL-22 are well-made and a joy to own, but a bit pricey. The BL-22 has the edge with it's ultra-short stroke action. The Henry levers are pretty good for a poor man's levergun.
-for a premium tackdriving turnbolt, any Anschutz or old Winchester 52 if you can afford it, CZ 452/453 if you cannot.
-in a pump, I like the Rem 572 fieldmaster and the Henry pump, as these will feed shorts and longs, unlike some pumps (like the Taurus).
-for a poor man's turnbolt or semi-auto, all of the Savages and Marlins seem good values, though a little ugly, esp. the Savages and esp. the plastic-stocked ones (and why not shell out another $100 and get a CZ 452, as much nicer as they are?).
-on a real budget, the Rossi single shot .22 is hard to beat.
-probably the best value out there, other than a CZ 452 is the Izhmash Biathlon Basic straight toggle-bolt rifle.
-also semi-auto, the Browning Buckmark rifles are very cool / easy on the eyes, IMO, although they have a mixed reputation for accuracy.
-For a semi-auto takedown, the Marlin Papoose (70 PSS) is nice. Hmm, isn't the Browning SA-22 also a takedown?
-For a real bee-yoot in a semi-auto, the T/C "Benchmark" .22 is sharp, as is the Kimber SVT.

I like 'em all. It's pretty hard to go wrong with any .22 from a mainstream gunmaker, new or used, any action type. But the general consensus (to which I also subscribe) is that the highest accuracy-and-quality-to-price ratio is found in the CZ 452 lineup.

281 Quad Cam
April 3, 2006, 05:55 PM
CZ-452 deserves a look.

It may not be the best, but is certainly the best value pricewise.

Tommy Vercetti
April 3, 2006, 06:04 PM
I like my Browning BL-22 too :)

JH1
April 3, 2006, 06:19 PM
If you consider bang for the buck, the CZ 452 is unstoppable.:cool:

FuriousOyster
April 3, 2006, 06:23 PM
The CZ i have with a cheap Tasco scope on it can hit a nickel at 75 yards which isnt bad considering we haven't finished sighting it in.

FuriousOyster
April 3, 2006, 06:26 PM
The CZ i have with a cheap Tasco scope on it can hit a nickel at 75 yards which isnt bad considering we haven't finished sighting it in.

Savages are ok in my book and this new accu-trigger they have seems to be quite popular.

but hands down the best .22 LR on the planet is the Nylon 66. That gun has single handedly removed half the squirrels in the US. =)

Earnhardtjr3829
April 4, 2006, 12:25 AM
I would like to take this time to say that the Savage model 62f .22 semi auto was the worse gun purchase I ever made. It has been sent back to the manufacturer 3 times and still jams every other round at best. I know it was a cheaper gun but still, is "functional" to much to ask for? I have since bought a Marlin model 60 semi auto .22 LR that performs Excellently and I am very satisfied.

Picher
April 4, 2006, 06:03 AM
There are a lot of good .22 rifles out there, but not many will ever get into the GREAT category. The CZ 452 American has a big following due to it's good action and accuracy. It's fairly heavy and the pistol grip isn't especially comfortable for me, but they do shoot pretty well.

Probably the most popular rimfire rifle in this country is the Ruger 10-22. It is achieving greatness for it's flexibility and ability to morph into various shapes and uses. They can be made extremely accurate at little cost, or cloned and improved at very high cost. Everyone should own at least one.

It's hard to beat Anschutz rifles for accuracy and trigger quality. They are pricy and getting higher all the time, but used ones, especially those with the 64 and 64 action are great values and fantastic rifles.

The rifle that I really love is my Rem 504. It mimics the Rem 700 in feel, and mine is extremely accurate, after pillar bedding and some firing pin tuning. No rimfire rifle fits and feels like the 504. It has an excellent magazine and a rock solid receiver. Stocks vary, but are made by Boyds; mine is beautiful.

Lots of folks like the older Winchester 75, 52, 69, and pumps. Remingons, including the model 33, 37, 512, 513, 521, 540X, 541S, 541T, 581, and others are great rifles, though IMHO, the 541s are getting to be collectors models, like some of the old Winchesters.

This isn't a complete list, but probably a good start.

Picher

870 wingmaster
April 4, 2006, 08:57 AM
There are many good 22lr rifles!!! Everyone will have their favorite and mine is the CZ 452 american right now. I think it is the best bolt rifle value there is as far a accuracy and quality for the price. It is definately a good one!!!:)