PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance is not bliss, so i need your help!!

umbrella
September 11, 2005, 09:34 PM
I'm looking to buy a winchester 70 coyote. i love the feel and look of this gun but my mind boggles when i try to learn calibers. i would like a good all purpose caliber, something for smaller game like coyotes and back yard pests, and something i can use for dear hunting as well. i was thinking the 300wsm will this fit the bill or would another caliber be better. this is a list of the calibers it comes in
223 rem
300 wsm
270 wsm
7mm wsm
223 wssm
243 wssm
25 wssm
325 wsm
thanks for any help.

locked'n'cocked
September 11, 2005, 09:40 PM
i think the 300wsm would be overkill for most yard pests and cayotes. i would go with the .243 or the .270 if it was me. don't get me wrong, the 300 would do the job and if the rifle was more geared to be a deer gun i would go with that but if mainly for the smaller game i would get one of the smaller calibers that i mentioned.

K9 Doc
September 11, 2005, 09:41 PM
I would choose the 25WSM. Lighter recoil than the others, plenty of punch for deer/antelope, and you can get lighter weight bullets for the varmints. The .25 caliber has long been a favorite for White-tails. If possible I would get a .25-06 instead due to the cost and availability of ammo. This is a great caliber and should fit the bill.
K9 Doc

Capt. Charlie
September 11, 2005, 09:42 PM
I personally think the .300's a bit of overkill for what you want (and punishing to you as well). I have a Rem. 700 in 270 Win. & have found it to be a very versatile round. If that's a bit much for small game (groundhog, etc.), you might consider the .243. Good for Whitetail on down.

umbrella
September 11, 2005, 09:49 PM
well i cant express enough thanks for the quick replys. these are by far the fastest answeres i have ever gotten on this or any forum that i can remember. you answered everything i needed perfectly, i think i will go with the .243. thank you all very much.

308LAW
September 12, 2005, 12:21 AM
243wssm or 25wssm great varmit/deer cartriges

Dead-Nuts-Zero
September 12, 2005, 01:11 AM
If it were me, I think the .243 would be perfect for your needs. However, I don't know the Winchester 70 coyote if that means anything. The .243 is availible in several bullet weights and styles and there should be something for everything you want to do...IMO

If you don't like it, you can always buy another. One can never have too many guns :D

270Win
September 12, 2005, 01:39 AM
I agree with those who said 25 wsm or 25-06... it sounds pretty much perfect for your needs.

kirbymagnum
October 16, 2005, 01:40 PM
i would go with a 243 maby a 270

Big-Foot
October 16, 2005, 02:09 PM
The Coyote comes in .308 also, that would be my choise. Too bad they don't offer it in 243, 260 or 7mm-08 but I guess Winchester is pushing the WSSMs. I would avoid the WSSMs myself unless you reload, the ammo is way more expensive and I don't think they are going to be around in a few years. The WSMs are magnums and way more then you need for deer, that 270 WSM is a nice one for real long range shooting though.

Fremmer
October 16, 2005, 02:23 PM
If you reload, then take your pick.

If you don't reload, and the Coyote is only offered in the calibers on your list, then I would not buy a Coyote as a combo varmit/deer gun.

My comment is based on the limited commercial ammunition availability for the 'short magnum' and 'super short magnum' rounds. I've been checking on this at some of the larger gun stores where I live, and they usually only have 2 or (maybe) 3 different brands of the short mag ammo. That means that if I bought a new Coyote and it didn't shoot particularly accurately with either brand, I would be out of luck unless I began reloading or I could find someone to do the reloading for me.

Go to a couple of big stores in your area and see for yourself. Then see how many different brands of ammo are offered for a standard (non-short/super short magnum) caliber like the .25-05 or a .270 Winchester (I counted about 8 different brands for those calibers at the last store I went to), which will do just fine for varmits and deer.

My personal view on the short/super short magnums? Lots of boom, muzzle flash, and more recoil. Most hunters who miss with a standard caliber would have also missed with a super-duper-magnum, too. :) Just my not-so-humble opinion!

Death from Afar
October 16, 2005, 02:48 PM
With the big magnums, you always run the risk of developing a flinch which will ruin your shooting. The 70 is a good rifle, but as a sweeping generalisation, lighter synthetic stocks will give you more recoil, which you dont need with a short magnum.

.243, .25-06. .270, .308 or .30-06 are all good. I would get a .308.