PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 10 tactical?

us.armysniper
August 9, 2005, 07:27 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this particular weapon or other savage models like it? How does it shoot with the 20 inch barrel. How is the accutrigger. and any other basic questions like accuracy functionability and all that good stuff. thanks!

TennesseeMedic
August 9, 2005, 07:36 PM
You can't go wrong with Savage 110 Tactical. Its the primary sniper weapon for out SWAT Team. I personally owned one and used it for varmit hunting. In my humble opinion, its a superb, accurate weapon at an affordable price.

us.armysniper
August 9, 2005, 07:39 PM
thanks doc!

Mike Hull
August 10, 2005, 12:36 PM
Model 10FP-LE2B – Comes with the McMillan A3 stock also, which makes it a pretty good package. It's a little more up front, but if you buy the standard model, you'll end up getting a stiffer aftermarket stock anyway, as well as other things, and you'll probably surpass what you'd have in the McMillan stocked model. :eek:

http://www.savagearms.com/10fple2b.htm

Just a thought. :D

essexcounty
August 10, 2005, 01:31 PM
I don't have any experience with the 10 Tactical, but I've had 110's or varients going back to the early 1970's. .308, 222's ,223's. 242's ( three ), 260, 270, and a couple of '06's. Not a bad gun among them. Sure, I had to upgrade with aftermarket triggers, etc. This morning I inatalled aTimney on a 1999 vintage package gun. I've used SSS, Rifle Basix and they've all been great. Money aside I'd go Savage again and I have no feelings of inadequacy because I'm shooting somthing ugly" Thanks for listening....Essex County

esldude
August 10, 2005, 07:07 PM
Have a 10FP in .223 caliber.

It is a very accurate rifle. Quite heavy barrel. I don't have, but agree with the idea of paying a bit extra for the version with the better stock. Still mine actually isn't a problem. Just makes you think it isn't sturdy. In reality it has been sturdy enough. No problem related to the stock.

Mine has the longer barrel, no reason the shorter one wouldn't be just as accurate. Will be a bit louder.

Also you don't mention if it is a 223 or 308 you have in mind. Have seen people with the 308 and they too are more accurate than your average rifle.

ZAT
August 13, 2005, 11:52 PM
I had one of the first batches of 10-FP's to hit the market. Crappy trigger and weak stock, but would still shoot under 1/2 moa at 100 yds with 168 gr. Gold Medals. Ran short of cash and it had to be liquidated. Of all the rifles I have owned and sold it was the cheapest one, but the only one I regret having sold. I hear the new accurtigger is the bomb. Played with one at the last show I went to and thought it was really good, Was crisp and had little to no creep. If you can get one of them with the McMillan stock I think you would be happy. Even with the McMillan thay are cheaper or equivalent to a Remy, and in my opinon they are better shooters out of the box. Remy has more gadgets and accessories available if you like to tinker, but the Savage just shppts well as is. Dont know how they hold up in the field, but I cant see them being any worse than the other makers.

TennesseeMedic
August 14, 2005, 06:40 AM
When our SWAT snipers reported for mandatory training last year it was over 90 degrees outside. They were training at the regional center and other sniper teams were there as well. The Savage out performed the Winchesters, Remingtons and Steyrs. The other teams took a break to clean thier rifles due to accuracy issues but our team did not encounter any problems at all and continued to put lead down range. I have always liked Savage products for the affordability and dependability.

308LAW
August 15, 2005, 02:34 PM
HS Precision makes very nice stocks for the bull barrel savages, and some neat colors too, I had a .308 tactical with a HS stock in Green with a Rifle Basix trigger. very good shooter. replace the stock and the trigger and a Savage will have almost as good a feel as a Remington( Rems action is tighter) and will at least shoot as good maybe better do to the way Savage headspaces their barrels.