PDA

View Full Version : SKS that takes AK mags?

Karanas
October 14, 2000, 05:31 PM
Anybody know anything about this?
I saw one briefly at a local gun show recently. I couldn't tell if it was made that way or if someone modified it.

shiroikuma, Anchorage AK
October 14, 2000, 06:23 PM
The SKS-D by Norinco takes AK mags. Was designed that way, and it's the only one imported that came from the factory that way. You'd be better off with a real AK in my opion but it's your's that counts!

Two of my friends have 'em and they are nice shooters but I like the shorter dimensions of the AK's. Plus you can get more accesories. Scope mounts are also easyier on AK's

Of course lots of people think the sks are more accurate.. I can't say.

[This message has been edited by shiroikuma, Anchorage AK (edited October 14, 2000).]

Karanas
October 15, 2000, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the info.
I already have an AK, with a nice collection of mags. Occasionally I get an itch for an SKS and I thought that it would be nice not to have to invest in another type of mag.

Badger Arms
October 15, 2000, 10:04 PM
Mine is a pre-Ban with a 16" Barrel and an 'fiberforce' folding stock. I had to use a little file work to get the mags to fit through the stock well enough, but other than that the gun has been great for me. It's a really sweet shooter... much more accurate than I'd expected with iron sights. For a while, a US shop was modifying guns to accept AK mags. Those seemed to be of good enough quality.

AmericanFreeBird
October 16, 2000, 08:58 AM
I own one and I have to say it's a real nice shooter. The 30rd. east german AK mags seemed to work best but it takes all kinds and rarely if ever jams.

The only AK style mag it won't accept is the 90rd. drums, the receiver is too deep for the short neck of the drum but who needs that many rds. in the mag, gun would weigh a ton!

With the norico 4x25 sight mounted I hit 5" groups at 200yds. Haven't got a range here with greater than 200yds to test the accuracy out farther.

Badger Arms
October 17, 2000, 12:33 AM
You can use the drums if you notch out the stock to let the drum go up further. Problem is that you have to take alot of material out. I haven't done this on my SKS for that and another reason. The SKS heats up quicker than the AK because it lacks all of vent holes and the gas cylinder is closer to the barrel.