PDA

View Full Version : Looked at a new gun today. Need your opinion.

JD1200
November 19, 2004, 01:17 AM
Today I looked at a 7mm Short Magnum in a Winchester model 70.
I had never seen one before and was surprised to see how good the balistics were compared to a 30-06. It was even better than a regular 7mm Mag.
I'm thinking of buying this gun but want some feedback from anyone who has heard anything about this calibre.
thanks,
JD.

cartman308
November 19, 2004, 05:52 AM
co-worker just bought him a ruger m-77 in 7mmWSM. He reports that it kickes softer than his .270 and shoots realy well. He never got into any measurments cause he's not a rifleman, just a hunter.

second hand info. take it for what its worth :)
cart

keens
November 19, 2004, 08:58 AM
No experience with the short mags. yet, but the ballistics look good on paper. Think about such things as ammo availability, cost, etc. before you buy...cartman says the .308 is all you will ever need...I tend to agree, and it is my favorite...I had the choice with my last purchase of a rifle and still got the .308...a bolt action. Having said that, if a friend purchased a 7mm short mag. I sure would like to try it...hunt with it...test different loads to see what that particular rifle shot best. The 300 short mag would be high on the list if I was limited to just one rifle for everything in North America...however my Browning Stainless stalker in 30-06 may get the nod on that one. Choosing is a large part of the fun for me... :)

cntryboy1289
November 19, 2004, 02:56 PM
I own 3 .308's in various styles of guns. I love 'em. I also own the .300wsm as well as a 7mm magnum. I also have a .243 and various 22's. The point I am trying to make is make yourself happy. I love my WSM. It is exactly what it says it is, an excellent rifle. The problem is, most every rifle on the market is an excellent rifle as well. Find one that makes you happy, no matter what everyone else says, and guess what, you will be happy it.
Now for the bad news. If you ever go on a long distance hunt out in the middle of nowhere, and lose or run out of ammo for the 7mm WSW, you probably won't be able to find any ammo for it. this is when the old favorites of 30-30's or 30'06 or the .308 or even the .270 prevail. When you are at the old country store out on such and such road miles from nowhere, and only a few hours from hunting time, these calibers of rifles better be what you are shooting. So if you choose the WSM, just plan on carrying extra ammo for it in a separate bag just in case. Good luck in choosing and hunting and shooting.

A countryboy can survive!

JD1200
November 20, 2004, 12:24 AM
Good opinions everyone!!
Well the good news is I bought the 7mm WSM today!
The great news is it shoots like a dream!!!
The gunsmith who boresighted it said it went together so well that he expected it to shoot great. Was he ever right. Only 1" low and right first shot.
When sighted in, it shot consistent extremely tight groupings.
The gun I bought is a Winchester model 70 super shadow. It fits me like a glove and the leupold scope mounted on it is superb.
I am very happy with this gun.
Look out trophy whitetail!
Cheers,
JD

cntryboy1289
November 20, 2004, 10:14 PM
I think you found like I did that the new WSM's shoot great. My 300WSM shot 1/2" groups right out of the box. After bedding the rifle, it groups less than 1/2" with most ammo with 5 shots at 100 yards. Keep on shooting the gun and I think you will fall in love with it. Now all you have left to do is take something with it and you will definitely be hooked. I shoot the 7mm magnum with the Barnes XLC 160 grain bullet. I have shot the 150 and 140 grain, but i found the 160 is about as good of a 7mm bullet there is. It doesn't tear up the meat as bad and it is still is giving good velocity out to 500 yds. Next thing you know though, you will be like a lot of us and buy another gun. Not because you dislike the one you have now, but, just for the fun of having several to choose from. Good luck and great shooting,

country folks will survive!