PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory scopes

Steve Smith
September 17, 2000, 07:06 PM
Any comments? Are they rugged enough for field use? I've heard the Taso Super Sniper is awesome, but this "loaded" coupon has a good deal on the 4-14x56 Springfield. Comments, guys?

Gewehr98
September 17, 2000, 07:57 PM
At the risk of sounding like somebody on another post... (heehee)

I think snipercountry.com also did a review of these, didn't they?

They're made by Hakko, who also made the early Nightforce scopes. I had an opportunity to buy one for both my M14NM and 700PSS, but after checking one out on a Springfield M1A, I passed. Huge objective lens, very busy reticle, and that bubble level takes up a good chunk of the lower field of view...

AZTrooper
September 17, 2000, 10:19 PM
FWIW, I was at a rifle school last year. There were two guys there with Remington 700PSS's and Springfield Armory 3rd generation scopes. The scopes worked fine out to 200 yards. When we went to 300 to get zeros, they adusted their elevation appropriately and started to shoot. These two guys could not find their holes in the target. We finally found where the rounds were hitting...in the dirt at 100 yards! Everybody including the instructor checked the scopes to make sure they hadn't adjusted wrong and that the mounts weren't loose, etc. We could not find anything other than the scopes just broke. Both of them. I have no experience with the Tascos, but I will never buy a Springfield.

El Rojo
September 18, 2000, 11:52 PM
I bought a fixed 6X 7.62mm scope with my loaded coupon. I just sold it. I didn't have any problems with it, it just was a fixed 6x and I never used it on my M1A after a while.

Here is what I would do if I were you Frontsight!. Buy it, keep it for a year or two, then put it on gunbroker for a nice price. I bought mine with the loaded coupon at $109. I just sold it for $200. I only had it for two years and the guy who bought it was more than happy.

Just something to think about. You might not be too thrilled with it, but it will give you good use and as long as you take care of it, sell it in a year or two.

Jaeger
September 19, 2000, 08:52 AM
I have a 1st generation 4-14X56 on my PSS. It's never given me any problems. I am going to Thunder Ranch next month for a Precision Rifle 2. After that I should have a full understanding of the pros and cons of this scope. I'll give a report when I come back. (Oct. 14)

Gary H
September 20, 2000, 12:35 AM
What is a "loaded" coupon?

I have the 4-14x40 on my SL-8 and have been happy, but not much use. Have the Hakko red dot on my Carbon 14 and love it. Don't know about the larger scopes.

Steve Smith
September 20, 2000, 09:21 AM
The "loaded" coupon is the coupon that helps you get things for a good price. For example, the 4-14x56 SA 1st generation is $306 with the coupon. It regularly sells for $450.