PDA

View Full Version : The OA-98

witmen
September 27, 2004, 10:18 AM
everyone seen this yet? the 6.5 inch AR15 pistol, I'm just wonderin if theres any legal way of having a 6.5 inch barrel on an AR registered as a riffle? then I could have a collapsible stock, would a short barrel AR be a AOW? or you all just think I should be happy with out a stock on it? I'm sure I will end up buyin it any way. just not sure if it's legal to have what I want.

Ben Swenson
September 27, 2004, 10:36 AM
6.5" barrel on a rifle is a Short Barreled Rifle - meaning either $200 and proper NFA paperwork beforehand, or $10,000 in fines plus lawyer fees and 10 years in prison afterwards - your choice!

(This does not apply to those not governed by the NFA whether outside the US or simply above the law due to chosen profession.)

witmen
September 27, 2004, 09:14 PM
I see, shorty shot guns are AOW. I was wishfully thinking riffles would be the same I guess. thanks

Ben Swenson
September 27, 2004, 09:32 PM
I see, shorty shot guns are AOW.
Nnnnnot quite.

"Smoothbore pistols" are AOWs (put simply, short barreled shotguns without a stock). If you put a stock on a smoothbore pistol, then you've got a SBS and you're back to the $200 tax or $10,000 fine.

Rifled pistols are just pistols. Like the Olyarms pistol. If you put a stock on a pistol, you've got a SBR and again you've got the fun paperwork, "taxes" and/or jailtime.

Clear as mud?

witmen
September 28, 2004, 08:33 AM
awesomely put Ben I see how it is now thank you much. I'll be plenty happy without the stock

DLoken
September 29, 2004, 08:17 PM
Actually isn't it the vertical foregrip and lack of a stock that makes them an AOW? The Serbu super shorty for instance.