PDA

View Full Version : My first AR15!!!!

Darthmaum
July 8, 2000, 10:32 PM
My husband and I just bought our first AR today at a local gunshow, and after much deliberation decided to go w/ a DPMS.

We decided on a "shortie" w/ a 16" barrel, A3 sight and 1:9 twist. The barrel has these (forgive my lack of knowledge) grooves down it. The man we bought it from said it was to help cool the barrel (and some other stuff I don't remember).

I can't WAIT to go shoot this gun! :) :)
Just had to share w/ y'all, as most can relate to the AR fever! :)

------------------
---------------
"Pray as if your life depends on God, Prepare as if it all depends on you..." -Texas Preacher

Liberty or death, what we so proudly hail... DON'T TREAD ON ME!!-Metallica

"Many's the men who've battled foe
many the number slain,
many the lads have fallen though
Scotland shall rise again."

Correia
July 8, 2000, 10:34 PM
Congrats. Nice gun. The grooves are called fluting. They increase the surface area of the barrel, thats whey they cool faster. Plus knocks about half a pound off.

rock_jock
July 9, 2000, 01:44 AM
Darth,

Congratulations! I picked up my first "black rifle" in February, and I love to shoot it. Low recoil, very accurate, and it just LOOKS cool! Now that you have the gun, let me tell you some essentials to get:

- bore guide (for cleaning)
- 30 rd magazines (maybe a couple of 20 rds too)
- good ammo (don't be tempted to buy the absolute cheapest - you pay a lot for a gun, don't ruin it with some third-world junk ammo that will scar your barrel)

A must-see wwebsite for all AR-15 owners is www.ar15.com. (http://www.ar15.com.) Go to the discussion boards and you find out everything you ever wanted to know and more. The home page for this site even has a link so you can download the Army O&M manual for the rifle.

Enjoy,
rock

DakTo
July 9, 2000, 07:13 AM
i hope your DPMS works as well as mine, learn about it, practice, practice, and it will not be put down by other makes, it will hold its own, the rest is up to you

fal308
July 9, 2000, 07:53 AM
Welcome to the very unPC world of black rifles. I too own a DPMS and am very satisfied with it. Now you can start looking at other uppers, maybe a 20" HBAR, perhaps also a 24" stainless flattop upper with a scope for precision, then...well you get the picture. It's really great being able to reconfigure your firearm just by swapping out parts, in this case the upper, and having a completely different feeling and acting firearm.

Coinneach
July 10, 2000, 11:18 AM
Darth, welcome to your new addiction. :D

Mr.X
July 10, 2000, 01:10 PM
Ya shoulda bought an AK..... :)

Correia
July 10, 2000, 01:47 PM
Now, now Mr.X you know you eventually have to have one of each anyway. ;)

------------------
Order your TFL shirts and hats now! www.thefiringline.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=37865 (http://www.thefiringline.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=37865)

4V50 Gary
July 10, 2000, 05:12 PM
Congratulations.

I have a DPMS hybrid (upper is DPMS) and am very pleased with it. Like fal308, mine's a southpaw too (but w/16" bbl).

Jedi Oomodo
July 29, 2000, 12:39 AM
Just for the record, it's *my* addiction, too! :D

jfrancis
July 29, 2000, 09:32 AM
Congratulations on your entry into the wonderful world of the black rifle.

Be warned though - it probably won't be your last....

John Francis