PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances that my local gunsmith will screw my AR threading my barrel?

NYCOP
November 19, 2002, 01:41 PM
I am going to get a muzzle brake from wilson combat and have a local gunsmith thread my barrel, he does alot of muzzle brakes but very little to none on a AR-15, he has taken them apart before thought? Is it pretty easy to take them apart? chould he screw up my sights and put them on wrong so the gun can not be sighted in?

uglygun
November 19, 2002, 01:43 PM
If he does it right, there shouldn't be a need to remove the front sight at all.

If he removes the barrel from the upper receiver, he'll likely chuck the barrel in some place near the front sight after removing the gas tube. He can very likely still index and center the barrel within the chuck without removing the front sight.

Redlg155
November 19, 2002, 02:32 PM
AR15s are simple to take apart provided that you have the correct tools to do so. The average person and certainly a gunsmith can do the work with very little instruction needed, although a little experience in AR15 work does help things go smoother.

If he says " I think I can" get another smith. Send her off to Kurts Kustom, which incidentally has some excellent looking tac brakes, or somewhere else. If he says " I know I can", then you should be ok.

Good Shooting
RED

Mannlicher
November 19, 2002, 10:09 PM
the time to wonder about this is before you let him have the gun. Ask for references, speak to others that he has done work for.